Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am usually reluctant to post kill stories, but since in this case I am the one who got killed...I'll make an exception.

Today at lunch I merged onto the highway (Rt 17 South in Paramus for New Jersians) and pulled up next to a Typhoon at around 60-65 mph. He took off...I gave chase...I couldn't catch him...I took the next exit...

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would avoid trying that against a Lightning as well. No presonal experience on that, but they are very fast for a pickup.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by LexArkana:
Do you mean the Syclone?
nah, Ford makes a "sporty" version of their F series pickup called "Lightning"... I've seen a few, basically it just looks like a lowered pickup.
Which reminds me, I read in Car&Driver about the Lingenfelter Sierra C3 6.0L SC.
It's a Sierra pickup, looks like stock, but the supercharged v-8 pushes 475hp @5500rpm / 500lb-ft @4000rpm and 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. The article goes on to compare it to a porche 911 triptronic S (the fastest showroom automatic they've tested) because it can match the 911 in the 30mph-50-mph acceleration (2.4 sec).
Insane i say!

[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: s0yb0mb ]

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Noooo no no no... the Ford Lightning is a 5.4L Eaton-supercharged V8 MONSTER that easily runs very low 13's on the 1/4-mile STOCK. My buddy's dad has one with an intake & a 4-stage chip and he's easily putting 390hp/460ft-lbs to the wheels in that beast. FAST, it's quite a thrill to ride in.

Syclones and the old Typhoons have a 280hp and 350ft-lbs 4.3 turbo V6. Yet another example of a BEASTLY truck. I've seen numbers for 0-60 in the mid 4's for this truck!

It is always good to be educated about your competition! =)

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew/know Typhoons/Syclones were/are fast. Hell, they can take an LT-1. I just felt like getting abused I suppose...

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
I knew/know Typhoons/Syclones were/are fast. Hell, they can take an LT-1. I just felt like getting abused I suppose...
Hahaha, hey you can't win 'em all. Everytime I get beat by some old skool sleeper I just remember this one time at the 1/4 track, a late 80's Chevy Berreta raced against me and won by about .3 seconds, but as he was picking up his time slip in front of me, his car DIED. Dead, no starting, nothing. It was blowing mad blue smoke while he was pulling down the side road too. I chuckled to myself as I drove past him and picked up my best 1/4 time ever (15.7).

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
I always give way to Typhoons, Syclones, and Grand Nationals. I just have that type of respect for that 4.3 Turboed V6. The Typhoon was my dream ride in High School. I an just speechless everytime I see one in good shape. maybe one day My IS will grow up to challenge the Storm

·
Registered
100 Posts
[Edit: Sorry...a little late on the reply. I guess I got bitten by not refreshing my browser. Doh! I wish I could delete this post]

No, I think he means the Ford SVT F-150 Lightning. I think it has 340hp. It does 0-60 in 5.2 sec, 1/4mi in 13.8 seconds. It is one fast truck!

Jeff

Do you mean the Syclone?
[ May 08, 2001: Message edited by: Jeff Taylor ]

·
Registered
333 Posts
My best friend just showed up in his new 911 Turbo at my office. Can't wait till the 1,000 mile break in period is over. I know I'll get spanked, but should be fun.

2002 Silver 911 Turbo, red seat belts,and carbon fiber.

·
Registered
98 Posts
you may get smoked by fast US trucks, but who cares, they'll be in the shop most of the time anyway. I had the typhoon and it was a nightmare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts