Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the car to the dealer because the HID headlights are pointed too low -- they cut off far too early on the road.

The dealer said they get this complaint a bit and checked my car, but found it was with the standard setting.

Question is... how do you folks get around like this? I can't see too far down a dim road, and I'd like to if possible. I have a 2004 RX-8 and my Xenon lights go farther down the road -- so did my old E46 M3 as well. I just don't know why these are cut off so low.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
You can adjust the level-sensor on the AFS system to easily raise the headlights without having to mess with direct headlight adjustment.

The sensor is behind the rear driver side wheel. You will need a 10mm socket. Once slightly loose, adjust the screw down for HID level to move up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can adjust the level-sensor on the AFS system to easily raise the headlights without having to mess with direct headlight adjustment.

The sensor is behind the rear driver side wheel. You will need a 10mm socket. Once slightly loose, adjust the screw down for HID level to move up.
Is this a common problem that people complain about?

I am reasonably mechanically inclined -- if it's really easy I'll take a peek else I'll probably be back here to ask some Qs.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
VERY common.

My dealer gave me the same "it's within spec" line so I asked them to adjust to the maximum allowed value that is in spec at my 5k service

They did that, and it's better, but still low enough I'm likely going to adjust it slightly using the exactly the method I just described.

I'd probably mark the "stock" location with a grease pen or something before fiddling with it so you can an idea where your adjustments are going.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Adjusting it is a PITA big time, cause you have to adjust both up & down and left & right. You might get members that tell you, you dont have to but trust me you do. If you want it done right, do it right the first time.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Adjusting it is a PITA big time, cause you have to adjust both up & down and left & right. You might get members that tell you, you dont have to but trust me you do. If you want it done right, do it right the first time.
You really don't.

That's why I posted the directions I did.

You don't touch the headlights -at all- using that method. Not up, not down, not left, not right. None of that junk.

You just adjust the AFS level sensor slightly and your headlights are now aimed higher, properly, with a single adjustment.

Adjusting them the way you describe -is- a huge pain, hence why to avoid it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
listen to knightshade

·
Registered
459 Posts
I did the manual adjustment earlier in the summer. I lined up my vehicle at a 25' distance from wall of a factory and adjusted vertical only.

I adjusted the drivers side head light to the minimum spec to aviod any issues with oncomming traffic. I adjusted the passenger side to the maximum spec.

Both HIDs were way low but the fogs were exactly were at the specs. Go figure??

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used to adjust the headlights myself, and i didn't know there were 2 bolts to, therefore i adjust only one bolt, and i make the terrible mistake, the light output was terrible. Today I took my car to the dealer, and told them that my lights wasn't bright like it used to be, and ask them to adjust to the factory spec, and they did it for me. Now it much brighter and it aimed higher and faraway, I can see a road sign almost half a mile away. Iam very happy after the light adjusted, much better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i went to the dealership for the same problem, can I asked them to adjust the AFS and they were giving me all kinds of excuse about how it doesn't really do the job of bringing the headlights higher, rather they said the only way to bring the headlights up is to make mechanical adjustments, but it'd blind people because it's a projector headlights and such. He then went on blabbing about the concept behind how projectors are different from regular headlights. Anyways, he said the whole process will prolly take 45 mins.......i have a feeling they're just don't know what they're talking about or just lying about the AFS what the adjustment does, i'd definately wanna check out where the adjustment for the AFS is at.

·
Registered
21 Posts
any way someone can snap a photo of where this thing is

·
Registered
14 Posts
You really don't.

That's why I posted the directions I did.

You don't touch the headlights -at all- using that method. Not up, not down, not left, not right. None of that junk.

You just adjust the AFS level sensor slightly and your headlights are now aimed higher, properly, with a single adjustment.

Adjusting them the way you describe -is- a huge pain, hence why to avoid it.
Does the car have to be elevated to see this sensor? I've looked and looked but don't see what you guys are talking about. Maybe I need to jack it up first? Any detailed descriptions or photos would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Does the car have to be elevated to see this sensor? I've looked and looked but don't see what you guys are talking about. Maybe I need to jack it up first? Any detailed descriptions or photos would be much appreciated.
Problem with AFS after installing aftermarket coilovers... - Club Lexus Forums

There's a picture in that thread...

Here's a diagram showing the "correct" position from the factory on a normal-height car.... by adjusting the rear arm slightly the AFS system thinks the car is angled slightly so it'll raise the headlights slightly, solving your problem without having to fiddle with the 4 different headlight adjustments under the hood.

It's the same adjustment you'd need to do (well, same arm, you'd adjust by a different amount though) when you lower the car enough to cause the AFS light to come on.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Problem with AFS after installing aftermarket coilovers... - Club Lexus Forums

There's a picture in that thread...

Here's a diagram showing the "correct" position from the factory on a normal-height car.... by adjusting the rear arm slightly the AFS system thinks the car is angled slightly so it'll raise the headlights slightly, solving your problem without having to fiddle with the 4 different headlight adjustments under the hood.

It's the same adjustment you'd need to do (well, same arm, you'd adjust by a different amount though) when you lower the car enough to cause the AFS light to come on.
Thanks for the tip, I found it after seeing the picture of it. Pretty hard to get to without having the car lifted. Anyway, I used the 10mm to loosen the main nut to allow that big arm to move down, but you also have to loosen another 10mm nut that lets the "dogbone" slide down. Anyway, it only allows you to lower it <1 inch, and it did indeed raise the headlights slightly. Not happy though; I basically still have to drive around with my brights on to see past about 20-30'. This is a design defect in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I found it after seeing the picture of it. Pretty hard to get to without having the car lifted. Anyway, I used the 10mm to loosen the main nut to allow that big arm to move down, but you also have to loosen another 10mm nut that lets the "dogbone" slide down. Anyway, it only allows you to lower it <1 inch, and it did indeed raise the headlights slightly. Not happy though; I basically still have to drive around with my brights on to see past about 20-30'. This is a design defect in my opinion.

Well, if the AFS method doesn't raise them high enough for your tastes you can always manually raise them using the under-hood adjustments... just remember to do both screws for each light... (so 4 total adjustments for 2 lights)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2007 IS250 and just changed the headlights to 6000K. Went for a drive last night on some dark roads and it seemed like i could see really well for only 2-3 car lengths. Checked out the boards and found this thread and it helped a lot. I just wanted to add my experience.

I started by jacking up the driver side back wheel.
The best way to look at the AFS Level sensor is from the middle of the car looking back. The best way (for me) to adjust the AFS level sensor is from the back. Pic IMG_1702-adj.jpg is after i adjusted it and its still up on the jack. Pic IMG_1705adj.jpg is after the adjustment and the car is back down. Pic AFS-Adjustment-01.jpg shows how much i adjusted the the AFS level sensor. I only loosened the 10mm bolt located at the red circle on pic AFS-Adjustment-01.jpg

If this dosent help, im going to adjust the bolt so that it is all the way to the bottom of the slot. ill post more after checking my lights tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
After adjusting the AFS Level sensor all the way down, there was some improvement but i still dont think its high enough. Seems to have improved a car length, im going to adjust the headlight directly a little bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts