Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advice. I am looking for a daily driver and I'm pretty much down to the 335i and IS350. I own a Lotus Elise for track days. I'm an instructor with the BMWCCA club and I also race a Reynard F2000.

I want to know if you guys feel the IS350 is sporty enough for a guy like me that likes to push the limit from time to time? I won't bring the car to the track as my Elise is the dedicated track machine. I am sure there are a lot of enthusiast here and would like to hear from you.

On paper the IS looks good. But I've yet to try it and even then, I highly doubt the salesman is gonna let me rip the hell out of the car so I can see how it goes.

I like the IS:
-power
-price
-look
-luxuries

My fears with the IS are:
-too soft
-no standard gearbox.
-too much understeer

What do you guys think? Will I get bored with the car or can the IS surprise me day after day of ownership?

·
Registered
636 Posts
I own a Lotus Elise for track days. I'm an instructor with the BMWCCA club and I also race a Reynard F2000.
I don't think it's possible for you to NOT be bored by the IS350 with cars like that to drive on a regular basis!! ;)

-Mike

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I don't think it's possible for you to NOT be bored by the IS350 with cars like that to drive on a regular basis!! ;)

-Mike
Perhaps, however you are unlikely to get much fun with any car on public roads without being arrested, as your personal limits are much higher than the average driver!

An IS with better tires (GoodYear F1 GS-D3 or Michelin PS2) should make a fun, reliable daily driver.

A BMW would be a little more fun, at the expense of cost, luxury and reliability. And you can always get your dose of fun at the track.

Either way, tell the salesperson you want to "explore handling" on a quiet road. If they refuse, try another salesperson. This goes for both cars.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Off the top it sounds like the 335 will be the better fit for you. Luxury is not high enough on your list to warrant the IS350 because that is where it really excels over the 335i.

It certainly has a softer more fluid drive and you do get a quite a bit of understeer when you're really giving it everything its got.

In terms of technology and luxury... no comparison. The IS wins by a mile.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The only thing i've heard that 335 is better is that the handling is a bit better... its a bit tighter on the corners. my buddy has one and says the handling is better but it wont be that big of a deal unless u gonna do some hardcore track racing. acceleration is about the same and the triptonic shift is practically just as good. plus like u said u need 4 doors. if u gonna take more than 2 ppl its gon be annoying.

·
Registered
159 Posts
well the thing with the 335i is that it is still running to hot. Even with the added oil cooler and its an issue thats constantly persisting even in the 535i's. If you plan to really push it around the track you could be very dissapointed when it hits limp mode. Dinan is selling an aftermarket oil cooler which would solve that problem but its 2000 dollars lol. Also the lack of traction with the one legger is also dissapointing. But it all depends on what way you look at it. The BMW is still more performance oriented then the Lexus. But in terms of better handling, it really comes down to the driver. Also the E90 is ugly... lol, E92 is sexy :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will definately give the IS a try. But I won't drive the IS on the track. This is not a track car imho.

But I just want to be entertained on the street. I fear I might fall in love with the IS350 luxuries and power but get tired of it after a while. I will test drive one tomorrow and see for myself.

·
Registered
159 Posts
no it is definatly not a track car I agree. I had to test drive the Lexus and Bmw 3 times to figure out which one I liked lol. Definatly not an easy decision.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i think by your posts you would be more pleased with the 4 door 335i with dinan chip tune. I think you will be plenty satistfied going that route IMO

·
Registered
55 Posts
I will definately give the IS a try. But I won't drive the IS on the track. This is not a track car imho.

But I just want to be entertained on the street. I fear I might fall in love with the IS350 luxuries and power but get tired of it after a while. I will test drive one tomorrow and see for myself.

Please give us your thoughts after your "test drive".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drove the car today. I really liked the seats, visibility and overll feel of the car. It was equipped with the sport package and I think it is well calibrated. Stiff but not too harsh. The car was a 08 so the steering was quite well calibrated. However, forget about any feedback from the wheel. The power is very good and the brakes felt a bit over-assisted.

It is a car I would love to own... if it had a standard transmission. I really think I couldn't live with the manu-matic. The up-shift are slow and the downshifts are not rev-matched. This kinda kills the whole objective of having paddle shifter. This car is more at ease in auto.

This is really sad because this car is a clutch away from my driveway. Really I love pretty much everything else about the car, but man is this tranny anything but sporty. I'm sure it wouldn't bother me 90% of the time. But for that 10% when I feel like going crazy, I don't think it would do.

Thanks everyone for your advices. I will pursue my quest. :approve:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I drove the car today. I really liked the seats, visibility and overll feel of the car. It was equipped with the sport package and I think it is well calibrated. Stiff but not too harsh. The car was a 08 so the steering was quite well calibrated. However, forget about any feedback from the wheel. The power is very good and the brakes felt a bit over-assisted.

It is a car I would love to own... if it had a standard transmission. I really think I couldn't live with the manu-matic. The up-shift are slow and the downshifts are not rev-matched. This kinda kills the whole objective of having paddle shifter. This car is more at ease in auto.

This is really sad because this car is a clutch away from my driveway. Really I love pretty much everything else about the car, but man is this tranny anything but sporty. I'm sure it wouldn't bother me 90% of the time. But for that 10% when I feel like going crazy, I don't think it would do.

Pretty accurate evaluation... good luck with your persuit :cool:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Comparably equipped, I bet the 335i is at least $5k more than the IS350. The wife/gf will like the auto trans way better.

Eric

·
Registered
507 Posts
As much as i love my lexus. We temp owned a 335xi 4 door sedan and before we traded it back in we love it.

I love my lexus' and toyota but that 3.0 inline 6 twin turbo and x drivetrain, its hard to beat...

·
Registered
159 Posts
its hard to compete with BMW, a company that created the Sports luxury class over 30 years ago with the 2002 lol. So if driving and feel is only thing you are after then hands down the bmw will win, but throw reliability, cost of ownership (talking about after the warranty runs out) and luxury then it becomes a competition. I agree with you I do wish they did make a Lexus IS350 6 speed manual with an LSD. It would give Enthusiasts a stronger reason to consider the IS.

·
Registered
9 Posts

You mentioned the overly-assisted brakes and I think you hit that right on. I have owned my 07 IS350 for a little over a year. I like the car more and more each day. But, if there is one complaint it has to be with the brakes. Sounds minor but it is something that I think about alot during certain situations of driving. What I am referring to is mainly felt when going down a slight grade when you have to brake slightly, the car will down shift from 5-4 and between that and braking causes it to overbrake. I find myself in a contest with the car to see if I can barely touch the brakes enough to minimise the throw the chest against the seatbelt feel. Sitting in the passager seat you might expect it from time to time, but it can be irritating at times while doing the driving. I still love this car though. Anyone else, or is it just me?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You mentioned the overly-assisted brakes and I think you hit that right on. I have owned my 07 IS350 for a little over a year. I like the car more and more each day. But, if there is one complaint it has to be with the brakes. Sounds minor but it is something that I think about alot during certain situations of driving. What I am referring to is mainly felt when going down a slight grade when you have to brake slightly, the car will down shift from 5-4 and between that and braking causes it to overbrake. I find myself in a contest with the car to see if I can barely touch the brakes enough to minimise the throw the chest against the seatbelt feel. Sitting in the passager seat you might expect it from time to time, but it can be irritating at times while doing the driving. I still love this car though. Anyone else, or is it just me?
Replacing the brakes via the TSRB will adress this. The brake pads they replace are the ones used for the GS I believe and although they no longer bite hard when you brake, they were plenty good for me.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts