Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
This is not correct, ROM's of all descriptions can be read with a reader or on the bench. That include mask programed ROM's, EPROM's, Program once EPROM's, EEPROM's etc etc .

The only time we needed to go into the chip is to diagnose failures or back Engineer the design or process of a competitor, then Auger and electron microscopes are used.
So this is what I posted...

Really Simple.

So you are allowed to make incorrect statements and have people believe things that aren't true because your incorrect statements were off-topic !!!

You are sounding more paranoid by the minute.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Again, the actual information in the post (as related to the topic of the thread) was entirely correct. Read-only access, possible by disassembling parts off of the ECU, would in no way be helpful to what folks are trying to accomplish here... you've yet to explain why it would be.

The only "non-sense" here has been your posts.

The ECU can't be "cracked" in the sense the poster was asking about, many functions can not be changed at all, and the system overall is encrypted in ways that not only make it extremely difficult to try and work around, but would make it illegal under DCMA to try and reverse engineer your way around.

The post in question went on about some other issues that had been asked in the thread too, which I suspect you understand even less than these items, but the overall point being my post correctly addressed the questions raised by the thread, and you have, as usual, offered absolutely nothing of value to the thread of any relevance to the topic by posting in it.

Lemme help you out even! Here's the bit I was reponding to regarding the ECU:

Since you admit that killing the fusable links makes the PROM non-writeable, in what way would yanking the chips off of the ECU and reading them on other hardware help the poster accomplish what he is asking about?

What? It woudn't? Then why bring up being able to do so? Especially YEARS after he asked the question?

I'd love to see a sane and relevant answer to that...

Feel free to post another content-free rant though.
NO!! Get it right !!!

you said

Many of the functions of the ECU are physically burned onto the PROMS so you'd need an electron microscope to even read the programming
I said this isn't true !!! and it isn't !!!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Again, in what way is which device you need to read the PROM (an electron microscope or an external PROM reader) at all relevant to the actual question asked or the answer given?

In either case you can't write to the chip, and thus can't make changes to it, and thus can't remove the checks for functions the car no longer has.

Thus, the substance of the answer was accurate, and the substance of every single post you continue to make is non-existent.

You also seem to not understand what the word "paranoid" means... kinda like you didn't understand what a "heat sink" was in the other thread... or understand that you were caught in a lie about having multiple positive reps about your posts in that other thread because you didn't realize others could see your rep and realize that wasn't true either.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Again, in what way is which device you need to read the PROM (an electron microscope or an external PROM reader) at all relevant to the actual question asked or the answer given?

In either case you can't write to the chip, and thus can't make changes to it, and thus can't remove the checks for functions the car no longer has.

Thus, the substance of the answer was accurate, and the substance of every single post you continue to make is non-existent.

You also seem to not understand what the word "paranoid" means... kinda like you didn't understand what a "heat sink" was in the other thread... or understand that you were caught in a lie about having multiple positive reps about your posts in that other thread because you didn't realize others could see your rep and realize that wasn't true either.

So you are wrong again, and you then start again with your personal attacks.

So lets recap,

You were wrong, you didn't say anything about reading the ROM with a reader.... only you couldn't without an Electron microscope...

This is wrong, you realize it and are squirming like crazy again, with all sorts of non-sense...

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
So you are wrong again, and you then start again with your personal attacks.

So lets recap,

You were wrong, you didn't say anything about reading the ROM with a reader.... only you couldn't without an Electron microscope...

This is wrong, you realize it and are squirming like crazy again, with all sorts of non-sense...

Again, in what way does a change in the device required to read it have anything at all to do with addressing the actual problem the OP was asking about? You know, since reading it with an EM or reading on the bench will produce exactly the same amount of progress toward solving this posters issue.

If you'd like an example of actually, totally, and completely "wrong" though it would be for example when you claimed steel made a better heat sink than iron...because you didn't understand what a heat sink was.

or when you claimed you had multiple positive rep comments regarding the brake thread when anyone could easily view that you did not.

Or any of the myriad other times you've been in error about basic elements of fact.

Rather than address those, or try to do some learning so you'd actually have something relevant and correct to add to a future thread for once, you apparently spent your time scouring years and years of my posts, finally going back several years to find one in which the relevant part of my answer I gave was entirely correct, but there was an additional way in which one could have read the data on the PROM (which would in no way change the substance of the answer).

That's... frighteningly sad...

And kinda makes me think I'm gonna eventually need a restraining order involving you...

But again, do you have anything at all of value to contribute here? Anything that might actually help the folks asking the original questions in the thread?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Again, in what way does a change in the device required to read it have anything at all to do with addressing the actual problem the OP was asking about? You know, since reading it with an EM or reading on the bench will produce exactly the same amount of progress toward solving this posters issue.

If you'd like an example of actually, totally, and completely "wrong" though it would be for example when you claimed steel made a better heat sink than iron...because you didn't understand what a heat sink was.

or when you claimed you had multiple positive rep comments regarding the brake thread when anyone could easily view that you did not.

Or any of the myriad other times you've been in error about basic elements of fact.

Rather than address those, or try to do some learning so you'd actually have something relevant and correct to add to a future thread for once, you apparently spent your time scouring years and years of my posts, finally going back several years to find one in which the basic answer I gave was entirely correct, but there was an additional way in which one could have read the data on the PROM (which would in no way change the substance of the answer).

That's... frighteningly sad...

And kinda makes me think I'm gonna eventually need a restraining order involving you...

But again, do you have anything at all of value to contribute here? Anything that might actually help the folks asking the original questions in the thread?
And this has anything to do with what you wrote in this thread...

You said...

Many of the functions of the ECU are physically burned onto the PROMS so you'd need an electron microscope to even read the programming
And this is not correct... Simple...

You don't understand what you write half the time, miss-quote what people do write and brow beat anyone that has any other opinion.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
BTW ROM means "Read Only Memory"
And PROM means PROGRAMMABLE read only memory.

But you can't do that once the links are burned as they are in this case.

FYI, eeprom means electrically erasable read only memory... those you'd actually be able to make changes to, but aren't the ones being discussed in the Lexus ECU.

If you need any more basic terms explained lemme know!

(obsession might be a good one for you to learn!)

if you've got anything at all to post that would actually address the topic in the post, or in any way help anybody that has asked questions here, that'd be great too (albeit highly surprising)

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
BTW, did I miss where your magic bench somehow gets to read all the other ECU programming despite the encryption?

Because if not it makes your posts even less relevant, which I admit I hadn't thought possible.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
BTW, did I miss where your magic bench somehow gets to read all the other ECU programming despite the encryption?

Because if not it makes your posts even less relevant, which I admit I hadn't thought possible.
Now you really are showing your ignorance.

You still cant swallow that you made an incorrect statement can you !!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
And PROM means PROGRAMMABLE read only memory.

But you can't do that once the links are burned as they are in this case.

FYI, eeprom means electrically erasable read only memory... those you'd actually be able to make changes to, but aren't the ones being discussed in the Lexus ECU.

If you need any more basic terms explained lemme know!

if you've got anything at all to post that would actually address the topic in the post, or in any way help anybody that has asked questions here, that'd be great too (albeit highly surprising)
Of course once its programed its not changeable !!! Funny that !!

I was addressing your incorrect statement, and nothing else.

Let me remind you that you do this to everyone all the time.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Specifically testing a memory chip on a tester or bench.

Nothing to do with Drug Stores or Magic..
And nothing to do with the actual question I asked regarding encryption.

I should've known better than to expect any useful information though... my bad!

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
awesome!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
And nothing to do with the actual question I asked regarding encryption.

I should've known better than to expect any useful information though... my bad!
Lets all say it together..."Knightshade was wrong... Knightshade was wrong..."

Get it now !!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Wow, you are just a little automatic 350 fan boy aren't you? You act like you know everything and every result when in reality you haven't experimented or researched anything. If the IS-F is indeed wider, then my bad thats a very interesting peice of information. 250 Manual getting worse millage is bull shit, and the EPA ratings are simply incorrect as I have driven both. My Manual has gotten up 32 MPG on long highway trips, I have had multiple 250 auto's for rental and they consumed more gas no doubt and didn't reach the same numbers on the highway trips. There is less loss in a manual you can't argue that. Theres nothing wrong with the manual tranny in this car either, so you writing it off as a peice of shit means nothing to me as well. You sir are negative and want to tell everyone why something won't work and to be happy with the factory offerings. In the end there is no point in responding or discussing this point any further because your attitude supports a non-innovative discussion which I have no interest in.
I can confirm I have driven similar model engine etc with Auto and Manual for 4-6 weeks each (they were long term rentals)
The Auto did much worse mileage.

Any real road experience for the other way round ??? Knighshade ??

Re: EPA mileage,
Car and Driver got suspicious and ran same car with different transmissions because they did not believe the EPA ratings.
You know, hundreds of miles on the streets, swapping drivers, rotating the lead.

Guess what, the higher EPA rated car ended up with lower mileage !!!

Now our own IS300 is generally accepted on THIS forum to have 10 -20 BWHP less with the Automatic with engine like for like, ie stock vs stock, I/H/E etc....
Less HP, because of higher transmission losses, Less mpg.

So why is the EPA rating out to lunch, Car and driver explained it, higher losses in the transmission due to high pressure hydraulic pumps used to drive components.

So we have actual experience on the road and theory to back this up. Pretty conclusive I would say.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Got a link to the Car and Driver testing? I'd certainly be interested in looking at it.

The IS300 is probably a poor example to use, as it's a car using a pretty ancient transmission by today's standards.

The manual in the 250, while being a crap transmission, at least has the same # of gears as the auto so it's a fairer comparison to it's modern auto counterpart, and 32 mpg for a manual 250 is hardly impressive when there's folks who've hit 30 in a 350, and considerably better than 32 in an automatic 250. (I know I've seen as high as at least 38 highway in a 250 auto from some folks).

I'd say that today if you're buying a 90 hp Kia or something where you pick between a 5-speed manual and a 4-speed auto the manual will retain it's traditional benefits (slightly less drivetrain loss, and slightly better efficiency due to having more gears available)... But if you're buying a more expensive model that can offer a modern automatic transmission those benefits largely vanish (and in many cases you get worse mileage with the manual, and you're certainly going to be slower given humans shift far less reliably and far less quickly than computers do).

The computers help considerably with mileage too, they know better than you do the most efficient gear for the car to be in... which is another reason you'll increasingly see autos offering better mileage than manuals.

Interestingly the auto even has lower emissions (as well as better mileage from a non-EPA source)... this according to a 250 owner in the UK who bought his auto because it was both rated better for mileage (in the UK, so no EPA there) and the lower emissions (since it impacts taxes on the vehicle there)-
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/346382-is-250-automatic-has-better-mileage-than-manual.html

Check post #6 for that

Oh, and Canada rates the manual with worse mileage than the auto too (again a non-EPA government source)
http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-second-generation/176007-lexus-of-canada-posts-mpg-figures.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all you arguing old woman. .lol... Ive got the auto as a result of Lexus.. I bought the manual and they admitted there to be an issue in design. They made a swop after communicating with Japan about the problems and it was confirmed there is a floor in the design. They wouldn’t have replaced the car if the manual had no problems.
I was also thinking of swapping my engine for a 350 as they are not sold in South Africa. The choices are either buy a 250 or an ISF. After reading this I must say I would rather trade in and pay the difference for the isf. Better to play with the older is300. Ive got one of those with an 3uz and that’s a lot of fun.. What would you think of taking the isf motor and swapping the block for the 570 motors and going with a blower? Would be a bit pricy but should be quite the mod. Was chatting to Lexus about that idea and they seem to think it is possible. That should be a bit of fun.. Shooting in the dark with a lot of cash but mmmmmm.. Would be a beast

61 - 80 of 80 Posts