Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I just got me a brand new '11 Tunsten pearl IS350 with F-Sport pkg.

The handling - :jawDrop:

That's best I could describe with facial expression. It has *flat cornering*!! And the ride is very firm and feel very solid. The steering feels awesome too. Omg I love the white stitiching on the steering wheel and seats and the extra padding!

Amazing Lexus product...

I will post some pics later today. :)

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
As some of you know I just got me a brand new '11 Tunsten pearl IS350 with F-Sport pkg.

The handling - :jawDrop:

That's best I could describe with facial expression. It has *flat cornering*!! And the ride is very firm and feel very solid. The steering feels awesome too. Omg I love the white stitiching on the steering wheel and seats and the extra padding!

Amazing Lexus product...

I will post some pics later today. :)

Did you add any additional F-sport parts? Because if not it's largely the same handling your previous 2008 sport package car would have had.

The F-sport model doesn't come with any F-sport suspension parts (nice confusing marketing there from lexus).... it comes with shocks/springs that appear to have the same specs as the "old" sport package ones... and the same stock sway bars too.

There's tweaks to the steering ECU compared to an 08 which you seem to have noticed, and I think like a 0.1 difference in some alignment specs, but that's about it....

(now if you had the F-sport sways added and didn't have em on the previous 08 that'd explain it :))

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you add any additional F-sport parts? Because if not it's largely the same handling your previous 2008 sport package car would have had.

The F-sport model doesn't come with any F-sport suspension parts (nice confusing marketing there from lexus).... it comes with shocks/springs that appear to have the same specs as the "old" sport package ones... and the same stock sway bars too.

(now if you had the F-sport sways added and didn't have em on the previous 08 that'd explain it :))
Knightshade, thanks for the superb information. And no, I did not get additional F-sport parts.

Knightshade, I think my problem is that I don't remember the ride and handling performance of the '08 IS350 Sport pkg I had back in '08. It's been a while... And, I have been driving latest gen Mazdaspeed 3 since then which has very stiff ride and direct handling. I also bought an old '97 Integra, which has worn out suspension so the ride and handling is pretty bad. Mostly I drive this to work and home to save miles on my new IS350 and not to get damaged from rock chips and pot holes.. So, 90% of my driving is with the Integra. I then get in the IS350 F-Sport on the weekend. I believe that's why the ride feels so much nicer. It really has flat cornering! I literally pee'd my pants. And surprisingly, when I switched from Mazdaspeed 3 to this on the same day, the handling and cornering seemed about the same!!!:jawDrop:

Knightshade, what you said is probably correct. You said "largely" the same as '08 IS350 w/ Sport pkg. But as we both agree, it's not 100% same.:p Those light-weight F-Sport wheels are helping with the handling, though it should not much a big difference as the wheel weight difference isn't huge I don't think.

There's tweaks to the steering ECU compared to an 08 which you seem to have noticed, and I think like a 0.1 difference in some alignment specs, but that's about it....
See? you said it yourself! the final number of handling score cannot be 100% the same as '08 IS350 Sport pkg!:) Yes, I noticed the steering feel is really good, too. '08 IS350 Sport pk steering wasn't bad either, better than the Mazdaspeed 3 steering feel.

Thanks for the great info.

And yes, I am going to add sway bars later on..

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Knightshade, thanks for the superb information. And no, I did not get additional F-sport parts.

Knightshade, I think my problem is that I don't remember the ride and handling performance of the '08 IS350 Sport pkg I had back in '08. It's been a while... And, I have been driving latest gen Mazdaspeed 3 since then which has very stiff ride and direct handling. I also bought an old '97 Integra, which has worn out suspension so the ride and handling is pretty bad. Mostly I drive this to work and home to save miles on my new IS350 and not to get damaged from rock chips and pot holes.. So, 90% of my driving is with the Integra. I then get in the IS350 F-Sport on the weekend. I believe that's why the ride feels so much nicer. It really has flat cornering! I literally pee'd my pants. And surprisingly, when I switched from Mazdaspeed 3 to this on the same day, the handling and cornering seemed about the same!!!:jawDrop:

Ah, that explains it, didn't realize there was as much a gap in time as that between your two IS350s...

Knightshade, what you said is probably correct. You said "largely" the same as '08 IS350 w/ Sport pkg. But as we both agree, it's not 100% same.:p Those light-weight F-Sport wheels are helping with the handling, though it should not much a big difference as the wheel weight difference isn't huge I don't think.
Yup, wheels will make some difference too... and of course tires will, don't know off hand what you got OEM on the two different cars but hopefully the '11 F-sport wheels come with something better than the turanzas my own 08 Sport Pkg car came with.

Another big difference comparing the IS to your other non-IS vehicles is it's RWD while the Integra and Mazda are FWD, and RWD>FWD for handling :)

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Wow that looks awesome.

When is Lexus going to redesign the body style?

Isn't it about time?
Almost, but not quite... 2012 models will largely carry over unchanged (couple color changes I think).... Most likely thing is 2013 models (available sometime mid-late 2012) will be the first third gen ones, likely based on the new GS platform that was just shown a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don't know off hand what you got OEM on the two different cars but hopefully the '11 F-sport wheels come with something better than the turanzas my own 08 Sport Pkg car came with.

Another big difference comparing the IS to your other non-IS vehicles is it's RWD while the Integra and Mazda are FWD, and RWD>FWD for handling :)
It's Bridgestone Turanza EL400 (All Season tires). So I got the crappy tires.:pissed:

Wow that looks awesome.
Thanks.:)

I say the current 2IS design is aging well. It is a famous design, in my opinion. This is one of the BIG reasons why I went back to Lexus because of the design.... and of course refinement and build quality and attention to detail.

·
Registered
55 Posts
NOICE!!

Almost got that color myself! Congrats!!!

I recommend dropping $90 on Ebay and getting the F Sport shift knob. I re-love it everytime I get in. It SHOULD have come standard but is a must!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NOICE!!

Almost got that color myself! Congrats!!!

I recommend dropping $90 on Ebay and getting the F Sport shift knob. I re-love it everytime I get in. It SHOULD have come standard but is a must!!
Thanks.:) Initially I was wanting to get a Smokey Granite color but when I saw the Tungsten Pearl and dark graphite wheels.. oooo wow looked good. Since this is the car they had available in the 500+ mile radius from my local dealership I went for it.

What color did you get on your IS350 F-sport? Sorry I may have missed it somewhere in the forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't know how much of a difference the F-Sport is with the older Sport pkg but I can tell you that from a regular IS and the F-Sport I can tell there is a big difference, it feels a lot more like a sport car. I traded an 08 for the 11 F-Sport and I could feel the difference right away.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I don't know how much of a difference the F-Sport is with the older Sport pkg but I can tell you that from a regular IS and the F-Sport I can tell there is a big difference, it feels a lot more like a sport car. I traded an 08 for the 11 F-Sport and I could feel the difference right away.
Yup... and you'll find a similar difference in a sport package car- it's why I special ordered to get one (mine was the first the dealer had ever seen)

The F-sport suspension is the same specs as the Sport package one, apart from like a 0.1 difference in one alignment setting (and presumably you could adjust either to the spec of the other on an alignment rack)

As noted the only real differences in handling between an F-sport package car and a sport package car would be due to the difference in wheels and the slightly different steering ECU calibration (though that's likely going to be more of a "feel" difference than a 'get through a race course faster' difference).

Both will be a noticeable improvement, handling wise, over a regular suspension model... though some folks prefer the "feel" of the ride with the normal suspension as they prefer a softer ride.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm a fan of having lightweight wheels. I am greatful having those F-Sport wheels as they do improve handling and acceleration, and deceleration.:) Later on, when time comes for tire replacement, I will find the lightest tires available... it will be summer tires as well as it will not be driven in the winter with harzardous weather anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I put summer tires on at delivery and soon will need snows. I'm open to suggestions from anyone on the best (safest) snow tires out there. I was nervous about the rear wheel drive since I'm in Cleveland but decided screw it I gotta have this thing (was looking at AWD 350).

Brand new all seasons sitting in my garage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts