21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
+ rep, good work///

·
Registered
787 Posts
Man, am I ever glad this thread was revived!!! I want to go out and do this right now, but I'm concerned I'd mess it up. (Not all that mechanically inclined)

It's written as at a "beginner" skill level, but does that mean it is "idiot proof"? LOL

Also, what color do you guys think would look the best for my white IS? I saw tirerack has a broad assortment of colors (white, green, blue, black, silver, yellow, purple, red etc...).

+ rep

·
Registered
916 Posts
On a white is?? Black calipers/white decals of course OR silver calipers with black decals. I vote for black calipers though -- keep em clean! :)....!!!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah, black sounds about right to me. I'm wondering how the paint job held up (long term). Maybe CD can give us an update.

I'd also like to know if the stickers had any ill effects from the heat?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
well, I did it on my IS300, and so have a ton of other members. It held up just fine, no issues with the stickers. I had it on there at least 4 years.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Soo, jacking, that really sucked, don't be an idiot like me. I figured there'd be jacking points behind the front wheels, but nothing was too apparent there. I look in the manual, and the jack point is down the centerline of the car, right around where the oil pan is.....kinda strange.

So I put the car on ramps, look under, and I see an indent that looks like a place where a jack would go. I press on it, seems pretty firm. Anyway, I start jacking from that point, and then smash! my damn jack goes up into the underneath of the car.

Turns out these are just plastic covers (which I knew) but with no support underneath, which I didn't know. I just missed puncturing my f'ing radiator by an inch!!

The actual jack point is on a cross brace about a foot behind this.

The shitty part is that I have a standard jack, and there is no way to get the jack back this far without first putting the car on ramps.

I'm sure there's prolly a decent place on the side of the car, but I figured I'd just follow the recommended jack point in the manual, which obviously I hadn't had enough coffee yet to comprehend.

I'm wondering, if I get a flat, how the fcuk do I jack up the car considering the location of this front jack point??

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Well, it looked like along the bottom edge there is a plastic cover...didn't look like a good area to place a jack...not as evident as on the IS300 anyway...maybe I didn't look hard enough, I'll check it out again this weekend.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I gave this a shot and I'm pretty happy with the results.
Thanks for the links to the needed materials.
I went with red calipers on my '08, Black Sapphire Metallic IS350. I still need to add the black lexus decals.
I ordered a pair , but I accidently ripped one so I'm waiting on a replacement set. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
916 Posts
There's not really a spot for rear stickers without them being awkwardly small and out of place....we experimented with them and they didn't look right so our IS350 caliper kits only have the front caliper stickers but they are sized to fit PERFECT with the "L Lexus" emblem and the lexus lettering on each front caliper...

·
Registered
787 Posts
I just did mine today. I did the calipers white (on a white car) with black lexus stickers. (I assume we are all getting the same stickers from a guy in Utah - off of ebay).

My paint job did't start off so great (in the front) because the face of the caliper is very slick (I probably should have sanded it a bit first) but after the third coat it was pretty good.

I didn't have a chance to take pics yet, but will soon and I'll post them.

·
Registered
787 Posts
White Calipers

As I wrote above, I did my calipers last week (following cd's instructions above). I decided on white because I figure I wash my car [at least] once a week, so keeping them clean shouldn't be an issue. Here they are...

21 - 40 of 78 Posts