Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Supplies:
Tools:
  • Jack; a hydraulic jack is preferred over the one from your trunk.
  • Jack stands; never work on a car standing on the jack alone!
  • Wire brush to clean the calipers;
  • Masking tape.
Precautions:
  • You're dealing with the single most important safety feature in your car: be nice to your brakes! Avoid painting over or scratching the rotors, brake pads, pistons and hydraulic lines.
  • You're dealing with Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs); work in a well ventilated place, and let the rags & towels dry overnight before throwing them in the trash (to avoid spontaneous combustion )
Skill Level: Beginner.

Duration: 2 hours of work, 4 hours total time.

1 - After 6 months of usage, the IS350's calipers were showing serious discoloration from brake dust, and brake dust remover!

2 - Clean calipers with brake cleaner and a wire brush; multiple spray-and-brush cycles required. Remember, the success of any paint job depends on the preparation!

3 - Prepping with ez-removal masking tape. We do not want to paint pads, hoses, rubber parts, or of course the rotor!

4 - After painting; I used 3 coats of paint. Keep coats thin. Paint when temperature is below 70F if possible. After mixing, the paint must be used within 4 hours.

I was being conservative about painting in hard-to-reach places. If you want a complete paint job, remove the calipers!

If some paint gets over the rotors or pads, clean up immediately using a towel and some paint thinner, then rinse with a rag moist with brake cleaner. Do not scratch it off!

5 - Paint is getting hard, time to put on the stickers. Some people then apply a coat of hi-temperature clear coat.

6 - Now is a good time to clean the rims, inside and out. I waxed them, then applied 2 more coats of Poor Boy brake dust repellent wax, to help keep them clean longer.
Before mounting the wheels, clean the rotors with a paper towel or rag soaked with brake cleaner, to make sure there is no paint or masking tape residue on the swept surfaces.

7 - Remount the wheels. Remember that your tires may be directional, and must be remounted on the proper side! Tighten nuts in a star pattern.

8 - The finished product!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey are you going to paint the back two? There's hardly anything there to paint. I was thinking about doing mine but didn't know what to do with the back two. Specially where to put the stickers at. That's a great DIY thanks. I can start on mine when i get some days off from work.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the cleaning on Friday, but had to wait for Saturday morning to paint, as it was too hot. But yes, this can be done in an afternoon.

I decided not to paint the rear ones, as they are already painted black. Too small to be worth my while anyway, you can barely see them! However there would have been enough paint left, so it's up to you.

There is no place for a sticker on the rear calipers, which is why I used the "L" logo in front along with the name. On the IS 300, people used the "L" in rear, and "Lexus" in front...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I thought about painting mine, but the calipar is so huge. I don't want to call to much attenion on mine be an IS350. Sleeper ;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
ALEXIS said:
I thought about painting mine, but the calipar is so huge. I don't want to call to much attenion on mine be an IS350. Sleeper ;)
Sleeper? :suspiciou Everyone already knows this car kicks butt. It just a matter of making those calipers look nice. I painted mine red with black letters and it looks as if the entire assembly was purchased that way. The only difference between mine and his is that I didn't put the Lexus Badge on. I only put the word "LEXUS" on.

·
Registered
423 Posts
DAMN! How long did it take you? I'm planning to paint mines as well, just with PROFESSIONAL help, LOL!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Very nice, but for me, I'm going to have a pro do it for me. LOL!

·
Registered
916 Posts
If one of you guys with an is350 (and someone with an is250) wants to help me size up some decals for these, I'll give you a free set...email me: [email protected]

EDIT: SORRY for bringing this thread back from the dead!!! I didn't realize it was so old!

·
Registered
916 Posts
Looks like i've got someone to help with is350 decals this friday...might have them sooner than i thought wahoo!!! stay tuned!

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
When I did mine, I found it was easier to mask stuff, like the rotor and the brake clips, brake lines, etc with aluminum foil.

Also be careful putting the wheels back on, I chipped one of mine and that sorta pissed me off.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts