·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the musts to make it more able to compete with bmw's
1 iron block engine must be aluminum
2 6 speed trans
3 more performance oriented wheels 17* 7 1/2 front and 17 * 8 1/2 rear
4 interior needs more luxury and better sport seats ( all leather)
5 Navigation system
6 some sort of stability control system
7 all this for about the same price
anyone agree

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree those would be some very good improvments.

1. Lighter, Closer 50/50 weight ratio
2. Probably not until they give the IS the new more powerful 245hp I6 (probably a couple years) Lets hope they get the 5-speed out by December/Janruary and not until the 2002 model.
3 & 4 should at least be an option like BMW's sport package only priced lower. The new 330i comes with 17 x 7.0's standard also. Wider wheels would bring out this car a lot, a chrome option should be available.
5. It would have really brought up the cars image if it was released this year and as a low priced option.
6. Should be an option, if its standard it may slow down the car a bit
7. The Base price should be under 30K
8. Their should be a L-Sport edition with the sport package included, sport tuned suspension, 225hp and about the same torque, 5-speed manual trans, LSD with gear ratio change, fair price and a 0-60 and 1/4 mile good enough to match or top the 330i/CL-S.

·
Registered
226 Posts
alright guys, i think your being just a little to nit picky here, c'mon, this is a very decent car your buying, as is!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Brandon, I know I'm trying to be picky actually (the IS300 is awesome as is), these are just a few points that will help make "The Perfect IS300"

·
Registered
456 Posts
I know you wanted wider wheels to be available with the IS300, but, what is the width of the standard 17 inch Wheel? Do we have conformation on the tire brand and style yet? I have heard two different things. Somebody please set me straight on these points. Thanks in advance.....

Joel

·
Registered
144 Posts
Joel Solid,
I can tell you for sure that the 8 cars I saw in Monterey had Eagle GS Directional tires on them. I hope they are not like the Eagle GA's that Lexus used in the past. Those were the some of the worst tires ever put on a car.
Remember too that in the Lexus literature they are stating that you will for sure get less tire life with the standard "summer" tires.
Mike

[This message has been edited by builder1 (edited June 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
The tires on the production cars we saw in Monterey were Goodyear Eagle GS-D...

GS-D tires are much better than GA tires...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Anyone know if the seats have adjustable lumbar support? I did a search and couldn't find any reference to this feature.

·
Registered
113 Posts
gnti1mac, the IS300 ALREADY competes with the 3 series. Also, do you know more people buy automatics than manual. Yes, I know with performance cars, people want manual trannies, but how many people actually opt for it? Another thing, you seem to imply like it doesn't compete well enough, or it's not up to par. A lot of car reviewers have said that it does...and they've probably (well obviously) driven both the 3 series and the IS300. And as far as sports seats, I think Lexus has is down, the suede combo is there to help prevent your ass from slippin and sliding though twists and turns. How are they not "sport seats"?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well Kim Auto magazines have said that the IS300 has the best seats in it's class... very supportive and comfortable... As far as the Manual transmission talk, I think even though that most peole will opt for the Automatic, it would be nice if the Manual transmission was at least available...
Eric...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I will add though... Although I'm partial to Lexus as a whole, I will say that BMW has the best seats of the business...
Eric...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sat in the IS300 at the Dallas auto show. I found the seats extremely comfortable, with the exception of the center arm rest. There was only a small center storage compartment which was very low to the floor. Has anyone else noticed the lack of a decent arm rest?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
YES! I want a decent arm-rest. My MR2 is perfect with the tall center "hump" that is at the same level as the door armrest.

Just put the seat all the way back, both arms on the arm-rests... Steer with my knee (but never admit it)... Ahhh....

The Subaru Impreza2.5RS that I was considering has a dealer-installed optional armrest "riser" (sort of like an armrest box that they attach on top of the stock one which is too low). Maybe I could get one of those and attach it to the IS300.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I know what you mean, TEG.
The only thing that bothers me about the MR2's center tunnel is the location of the shifter...I'm a bit short (so I adjust the seat forward and sit kinda close to the shifter) and the 1-2 shift is awkward.

Originally posted by TEG:
YES! I want a decent arm-rest. My MR2 is perfect with the tall center "hump" that is at the same level as the door armrest.

Just put the seat all the way back, both arms on the arm-rests... Steer with my knee (but never admit it)... Ahhh....

The Subaru Impreza2.5RS that I was considering has a dealer-installed optional armrest "riser" (sort of like an armrest box that they attach on top of the stock one which is too low). Maybe I could get one of those and attach it to the IS300.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Marke1,

I don't think lumbar support is available in IS300. When I went to see the Lexus IS200, there wasn't one as well.

AndyL

·
Registered
92 Posts
i think lexus should throw together a dual exhaust to get the IS some better numbers, as well as a sweeter rear appearance. if anyone has driven a GS they'd know that the arm-rest is perfect for the elbow, giving just enough reach to the steerting wheel. The arm rest on the door is just as perfect. If you ever have to drive cross country, the GS is the car to do it in (NOT THAT ANYONE WOULD).

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Actually, the best cross country car perhaps ever made was the last generation S class.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Iron block is there due to the Twin Turbo version of the 2JZ motor. Wheel width is due to size of the tire they chose. Wider wheel is only necessary if you go up to 225 or 235 series tire. I think the car has just enough luxury for it's intended purpose. Personally I think the M3 could use less gadgets and gizmo's and instead focus on more performance (not to mention less weight). I guess the dash could use a richer feel like some of the other Lexus cars but I think it's sufficient considering the price range. Certainly felt no cheaper than the BMW although not nearly as nice as the Audi. I think the navigation system would be a nice added plus and I'm sure we'll get it soon. Japan's had them since introduction. Biggest flaw that I can see is lack of a manual. Audi and BMW offer one and I think it's a necessity in the sport market this car is intended for. That and the center armrest would be good. Otherwise I wouldn't change much for this market. For my own use, I want twin turbo power but I think I'm the exception to the rule.

------------------
Dan
98 R #1054 (not for much longer)
Godspeed Inc.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts