Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am new to this forum and I have officially made my mind to buy an IS300. The one I may get will probably be an 03, 04, or an 05. So I wanted to ask you guys what maintenance are the most important for the car and what mods do you guys recommend.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Definitely inquire about the timing belt. That's a pretty costly service to have done and the 2JZ is an interference engine, so you don't want that belt to snap. Replace the cam and crank seals while you're in there.

The front lower ball joints are known to go bad too, so get those changed out as well.

Other than that, they're pretty solid cars. The rest of the common issues are fairly minor. The 02-05 models have the "sticky dash" problem, which by now 95% of them look like crap. The best way to fix it is to remove the entire dash and repaint it which is quite a job, but you can perhaps use that as a bargaining chip when it comes to negotiating the price.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Hello I am new to this forum and I have officially made my mind to buy an IS300. The one I may get will probably be an 03, 04, or an 05. So I wanted to ask you guys what maintenance are the most important for the car and what mods do you guys recommend.
Read the forum. This has been gone over thousands of times.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Really just the timing belt and poor gas mileage. I’ve had mine since 2005. It’s rock solid.
Makes two of us.

Get a newer car kid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts