Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
After driving front wheel drive cars for the longest time, I almost forgot what a joy rear wheel drive cars were.

Is it reasonable to expect this IS300 to be my all year round car? I'm worried about winter time. The last rear wheel drive car I had was a 1989 Supra Turbo and that car was horrible in the winter. Should I have the same worries if considering buying an IS300? I've always wondered how these rear wheel luxury cars performed in the winter snows.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yeah, I have the same concerns too especially with that flash ice-storm we had here in the DC Metro Area this past winter. I'll probably switch my fronts to 16-inch winter tires to prevent any really bad curb damage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey I have rear wheel drive pick up right now and it is horrible in the snow. Sand bags to add weight help. You can always throw a sack of sand or two in the trunck to add weight.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
With the electronic traction control,
and the "SNOW" mode on the auto transmission
this car should be much more reasonable in
winter than a turbo Supra.

If you live in a cold climate you may want
the 16" wheels with winter tires. Or if
you get the 17" wheels, think about a
second set of wheels/tires for the winter...
Ones that accept chains, cables, or studded tires.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Get a set of winter tires. We have a set of 4 Pirelli Winter Ice on the Cressida and a set of 4 Michelin Artic Alpin on the Legend.

It makes a world of difference in traction. I wouldn't want to ever go back to "3 seasons" tires on a rear-wheel drive car after experienced the traction of a good set of winter tires. They cost a little more, but if they prevent you in getting into an accident even once, then you have already recouped your investment.

·
Registered
74 Posts
feign,

Take a look at the Motorweek videoclip from the "IS300 videoclips online" post. It has a good close up of the 16's. It actually looks pretty good! (much different that the 17" though)

I've heard great things about the Michelin XGT Z4's for improved ride quality and snow traction over stock bridgestones on the GS400. I hope they make them in the IS300's 215/45 when the car comes out. Pirelli also had a good all around tire (forget the name), but very expensive. The LS400 came with Bridgestone RE940's when replaced with Good Year RS-A's (used on cadillac models) winter traction improved greatly and the car can get around in winter fairly well and is even more quiet. However you loose a lot in performance aspects when you go with the RS-A's, but it is very cost effective and has good snow traction.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
and so you had to bump it???

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
you were reading about it so you had to post a comment on how old it was?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts