Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night i finally meet a car I wanna race...A yellow evo8...looked stock...he was by himself and i had 2 passengers weighing an extra ~350 pounds or so...i usually don't race with passengers but i don't see too many worthy cars here in MN...so i couldn't let the opportunity pass by...at first he didn't want to do anything with me...but i was going back and forth so he finally bites...he must've thought i was stock so he didn't get on it fully cause i pulled on him by at least a car...we get to an open stretch of highways, 4 lanes, no cars in site...rolling at 60 i go WOT first and pull half a car...he was slowly crawling up on me though and when he shifted, he pulled about half a car on me...we went up to almost 140 mph, but i wasn't catching up to him nor was he gaining...so i let off and exit...

Quick Summary:
Raced evo8 from 60-135...
Lost by half a car...
But after 110, he couldn't pull anymore...
Loss is mostly due to extra weight of my passengers!!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Without the extra weight, you would've walked him. Nice run, but I'd be disappointed knowing I could've handed it to him.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
AZNHYPNOTIQ said:
I call BS... you're saying you almost took a EVO8 with passengers?

.. or that you COULD take him w/o passengers..
it dont matter how much you weigh when you are going that fast anyways..or am i wrong :lol:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Mr. IS,

the mass (or weight) does matter at those speeds. think back to physics and the equation of force, F=ma (force = mass times acceleration)

its just that the acceleration is not as great so it doesnt seem like the mass matters as much. but it still does

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AZNHYPNOTIQ said:
I call BS... you're saying you almost took a EVO8 with passengers?

.. or that you COULD take him w/o passengers..
I was spraying a 75 shot of nitrous too...but with an extra 350 pounds, thats why i lost by half a car...

I've pulled on my friends stock srt-4 by half a car from 60-90...
I've pulled on a 330ci by like 4-5 cars from 60-90...
I've pulled on my sisters Legacy-gt by like 4 cars from 20-80...

The only reason I didn't pull on that evo8 was because of the weight of my passengers...

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
you need 230whp to stay even with an evo8

if you have more than that, you can beat one.

i have no idea about nos and their power curve so i don't know what to say =].

nice run though.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
with a 75 shot i would expect him to be at about 250 since the safc isnt tuned

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Grt06 said:
Mr. IS,

the mass (or weight) does matter at those speeds. think back to physics and the equation of force, F=ma (force = mass times acceleration)

its just that the acceleration is not as great so it doesnt seem like the mass matters as much. but it still does
:oops:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hirun said:
you need 230whp to stay even with an evo8

if you have more than that, you can beat one.

i have no idea about nos and their power curve so i don't know what to say =].

nice run though.
Just fyi...You need more than 230rwhp to beat a stock evo 8 in a IS300. It also depends what type of rwhp we are talking about, N/A, Spray, S/C, or Turbo, all the power curves are much different. This is coming from a person who was n/a, then went nitrous, and is now S/C, and maybe going turbo...haha. Just because they put those numbers down to the wheels, doesn't mean that as long as we can match that we will tie it or even beat it.

Good race btw.

-Dan

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Just fyi...You need more than 230rwhp to beat a stock evo 8 in a IS300. It also depends what type of rwhp we are talking about, N/A, Spray, S/C, or Turbo, all the power curves are much different. This is coming from a person who was n/a, then went nitrous, and is now S/C, and maybe going turbo...haha. Just because they put those numbers down to the wheels, doesn't mean that as long as we can match that we will tie it or even beat it.

Good race btw.

-Dan

i said 230 to stay even..(na for sure if you want exact)

i also said i dont know the nos power curve.

so basically you didnt read what i put did i?

na or turbo at over 230 can beat the evo8.

been there done that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hirun said:
i said 230 to stay even..(na for sure if you want exact)

i also said i dont know the nos power curve.

so basically you didnt read what i put did i?

na or turbo at over 230 can beat the evo8.

been there done that.

Can you please use coherent sentences next time you post. One, who said it was NOS, wow. Two, I had a nitrous express stage one efi kit on my car and had 230+ rwhp and couldn't beat a evo8. You are completely wrong and not worth my time to argue with. Take your inexperience and sarcasm elsewhere, it is not welcome with me. I know LMS s/c is300's with 240rwhp that can't even beat other 5spd is300s, ie. guillermo and malekrezza, let alone evo8's.

·
Registered
747 Posts
in those videos i thought the LMS s/c car won that tuned to hell n/a car??? i must be wrong..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Can you please use coherent sentences next time you post. One, who said it was NOS, wow. Two, I had a nitrous express stage one efi kit on my car and had 230+ rwhp and couldn't beat a evo8. You are completely wrong and not worth my time to argue with. Take your inexperience and sarcasm elsewhere, it is not welcome with me. I know LMS s/c is300's with 240rwhp that can't even beat other 5spd is300s, ie. guillermo and malekrezza, let alone evo8's.

well i am sorry that your Nitrous express couldnt help you stay even or beat an evo8. Maybe you should try a different setup.

all you really need is a team lexus setup + srt intake to stay even with one. of course you wouldn't accept that because I am inexperienced.

edit: i found some clips from best motoring of cars that have the same WHP but one is nitrous while the other is either turbo or NA.

the nitrous cars always got their butt kicked.

have anyone seen those videos? i might be able to post it soon.
it is the same video of all the drifter cars with 300+whp all at the drag strip to see what they would do at the quarter mile.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hirun said:
well i am sorry that your Nitrous express couldnt help you stay even or beat an evo8. Maybe you should try a different setup.

all you really need is a team lexus setup + srt intake to stay even with one. of course you wouldn't accept that because I am inexperienced.

edit: i found some clips from best motoring of cars that have the same WHP but one is nitrous while the other is either turbo or NA.

the nitrous cars always got their butt kicked.

have anyone seen those videos? i might be able to post it soon.
it is the same video of all the drifter cars with 300+whp all at the drag strip to see what they would do at the quarter mile.

You are saying an IS300 with a team lexus header and srt intake can keep up with an evo8? That seems very funny to me, seing as this IS300 in question got beat by an evo8 when the IS300 was spraying 75 shot of nitrous. So in essence, you are saying that the team lexus header and srt intake are equivalent to a 75 shot of nitrous on the IS. And you are only further proving my point by saying the nitrous car got their butt kicked, I am saying that a 230rwhp Bottle Fed IS300 will LOSE to a evo8. I have yet to see a IS300 brake into the 13s n/a, whereas plenty of my friends with 05 evo's are well into the 13.4/5's at 98-99 trap speeds. And I have tried different setup's buddy. I have gone from full n/a mods back in 01, I/h/e s-afc tbko esk etc., to Nitrous Express 75 shot, then to 7lb tbko s/c, now to 14lbs. So I think I have a little bit more experience with this EXACT scenario than you. I am not trying to start a argument, I just know when I am right. If YOU race a evo8 with a 75 shot on your own car, then you can speak yourself, but this is all hearsay to you. If YOU make 230rwhp and race a evo8, then you can talk about this situation. And when YOU have had all of these setups and been in this exact same situation, YOU can talk about it.

-Dan
PS. Good Luck finding a N/A IS300 that can "keep up" with an evo8...this might be the joke of the year for is300.net

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
? And you are only further proving my point by saying the nitrous car got their butt kickedIf YOU make 230rwhp and race a evo8, then you can talk about this situation. And when YOU have had all of these setups and been in this exact same situation, YOU can talk about it.

-Dan
PS. Good Luck finding a N/A IS300 that can "keep up" with an evo8...this might be the joke of the year for is300.net

yes, i said on my first post that i dont know how the nitrous would do. i finally just saw proof of how bad they are.

second, you and me are talking about two different races. the race i am referring to is evo8 vs. is300 on the highway. You are thinking from a dig as you posted 1/4 mile times which i would agree with you that the is300 would get spanked..

on the highway i had 219/221 to the wheels and i was right on his rear bumper from a 65mph roll. we did it 3 times and got the same result.

the evo8 owner lives near me and has the socalevo sticker (all stock evo8).

so to summarize:

i just found out nitrous sucks.

-i agree with you is300 cannot keep up with evo8 from a dig or quarter mile.

-is300 can keep up with evo8 from a highway run with 230whp/230wtq.

one more thing that could add to the factor that i was able to keep up with the evo8:
my car weighs 3390 with me(157lbs) in the car and 3/4 tank of gas. my car is lighter than most cars so that could play a factor. i plan to hit 3200 with me in the car and 1/2 tank of gas real soon.

also when i had the TL setup..the setup was very light so my car was lighter due to that at the time i raced the evo8.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually the only reason I lost on the highway run was because of the extra weight in my car. Or else I would've pulled on him. I only lost by about 1/2 a car to the evo, while my friend with a srt-4 pulled on an evo, so since i pulled on my friends srt-4 when it was just me in my car, then i'm pretty sure i woulda been able to pull on that evo had it not been for the extra weight of my two passengers.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hirun said:
-i agree with you is300 cannot keep up with evo8 from a dig or quarter mile.

-is300 can keep up with evo8 from a highway run with 230whp/230wtq.
yeah from a dig it wouldn't be close.
from a roll...with 230whp/230wtq...you would stand a good chance...considering that is about what a stock EVO8 Dyno's....thing is a boosted car will get through the powerband quicker than an NA car will so it should be able to shoot out ahead of you and eventually you should be able to hold him.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts