Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry Guys I could'nt beat him. Last Night my friend John and I raced twice but still no victory. We raced only 1/8 mile. Suprisingly we were damn close at start he slowly got a car length on me. We switched cars on the second run and got same results. I ran my IS300 on G-Tech Pro In August car had 1500 miles on it. Weather was 90's 100% humidity as always in New Orleans. My best time was 15.8 1/4 mile 0-60 7.8. I believe my car has gotten a little faster since then 5300 miles on it and weather a lot cooler. I will run it at Gulfport Dragway Next few weeks when weather is cool. My friend and I believe not many cars can meet their performance specs. We both believe his TypeS runs between 15.0-15.5. Not much difference when you are driving either car. Like my friend John said mods would make IS300 alot faster. It has a lot of potential. Anybody else have any good race stories I have more race stories Prelude, Mustangs, Accord Coupe Civics, and BMW 325. I will race anybody I'am not ashamed to lose. I just like to race for the fun of it.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
What happened in the race VRS the other cars...Accord, civic, Mustang.

i would like to know so when i pull up to someone i know what im getting into

thanks

ONYX 01

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
V-6 Mustangs not even close. V-8 Mustangs not even close at the start. If your gonna race a stock Mustang GT race them on the interstate. The only stock Civic even going to come close is an Si, which I've beaten. Stock Preludes can be beaten, but beware of mods. Stock Accord V-6 Coupes are beatable. Mods really make Hondas come alive so always beware of the whistle. I only raced one BMW 325 and beat it.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by rob3379:
V-6 Mustangs not even close. V-8 Mustangs not even close at the start. If your gonna race a stock Mustang GT race them on the interstate. The only stock Civic even going to come close is an Si, which I've beaten. Stock Preludes can be beaten, but beware of mods. Stock Accord V-6 Coupes are beatable. Mods really make Hondas come alive so always beware of the whistle. I only raced one BMW 325 and beat it.
someone has posted here before that they beat there friends V6 mustang and it was a 5sp.

anything on that...

ONYX 01

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I said the only way to race a Mustang GT is at Interstate speeds. They will beat you bad from a standstill or a slow roll, so don't even try.

·
Registered
446 Posts
that S type was it a 4.0? My friend has a 3.0 and he has no chance.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I hope everyone here means an older generation Mustang GT 4.6L. Those Mustang GT's are painfully slow at interstate speeds. I had a friend with a 97 4.6 GT, pulley's, headers,manifold, exhaust, ram air and he could only pull on me slightly at above 80mph when my VR6 was stock. At about 100 I began to pass him.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
thats pretty surprising, those motors are so restrictive from the factory, for emissions and gas mileage reasons, not to mention the fact that they aren't very efficient at all anyways, but once you start opening everything up, so that it flows better, they can get fairly fast without have to do forced induction or radical cams or major work. did he suck at driving?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
No honestly his car really became noticably faster when he put gears on it. I then didn't stand a chance as his timeslips went from high 14's to mid 13's. However restrictive the Mustang is no matter how much you open it up it's final gear ratios still suck and is hardly meant for top speed.
Mustangs are great at producing low end torque but by no means are highway speed demons unless serious changes are made beyond your basic bolt-on's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mustang GT's are slow after 80 mph even with bolt on mods. Race my friend Joe all the time in my IS300. Mustangs just can't hang on the topside.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Daniel, Depends what Camaro. A Camaro SS has both bottom end and high end power. LT1 does not play around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your comparing different cars. Camaro SS is not the same as Z-28. Mustang GT is not the same as SVT Cobra. A stock Camoro Z-28 is slow on the top.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
rob3379 i'm willing to bet you haven't raced a stock Camaro Z-28 let alone on the top end.
I would hardly call the Z-28 slow at top.
A stock Z-28 is more fairly comparable to a Mustang Cobra SVT rather than a Mustang GT.
Maybe you should try to find a race with a Z-28 and find out for yourself.

Your comparing different cars. Camaro SS is not the same as Z-28. Mustang GT is not the same as SVT Cobra. A stock Camoro Z-28 is slow on the top.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did'nt say I raced a Camero Z-28 in my IS300. But did race one in my friends 95 Mustang GT. If you are talking about late model Camero Z-28 vs. SVT Cobra. You gotta be kiddin yourself no comparison. Got two down here at A&A Auto Racing. I think I know the differnce. There's no comparison.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Sorry more specifically I meant a stock Z-28 is more comparable to the previous generation Mustang Cobra SVT. The newer generation Mustangs obviously increased power output to compete with Chevy's performance.

I did'nt say I raced a Camero Z-28 in my IS300. But did race one in my friends 95 Mustang GT. If you are talking about late model Camero Z-28 vs. SVT Cobra. You gotta be kiddin yourself no comparison. Got two down here at A&A Auto Racing. I think I know the differnce. There's no comparison.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts