Engine |3.2L V6 |3.0L I6 |3.0L I6
HP |260 |225 |215
TQ |232 |214 |218
Trans |5sp auto |5sp auto |5sp auto
0-60 |7.0 sec |6.5 sec |7.1 sec
60-0 |136 ft |133 ft |131 ft
skidpad |0.83g |0.84g |0.91g
Weight |3570 lb |3350 lb |3400 lb

"In a sprint to 60 mph it(TL Type-S) runs about even with the Lexus while the BMW is a half-second faster still. In the way of handling, both the Type-S and the 330i run neck-to-neck circling the skidpad, with the IS 300 running circles around them both." Road&Track

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: cis300 ]

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
yeah, i like how they refered to the TL as being in the "near-luxury" segment... I never heard that before, and it really describes all of the Acuras well. Cheaper than the competition, Luxury optional.
The IS is like that, I just wish that lexus would focus more on performance instead of a DVD/NAV system

·
Registered
349 Posts
0-60 in 7.1 seconds?! I thought that’s what automatic one was suppose to run?! What was all that stuff about 6.8 seconds?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Those 0-60 times for the TL-S seem a bit slow. Car and Driver got a 6.1 sec time. Maybe this one wasn't broken in yet, or just a lemon.
I am glad to see the IS staying right up with the pack though.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by Baby Lexx:
Those 0-60 times for the TL-S seem a bit slow. Car and Driver got a 6.1 sec time. Maybe this one wasn't broken in yet, or just a lemon.
maybe with 5speed...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Originally posted by siLveR_iS300:
Originally posted by Baby Lexx:
[qb]Those 0-60 times for the TL-S seem a bit slow. Car and Driver got a 6.1 sec time. Maybe this one wasn't broken in yet, or just a lemon.

Those times for the Acura TL Type-S are slow. In the July 2001 issue of Car & Driver they ran 0-60 in 6.2 seconds. Also, in Edmunds.com they did an "Entry Level Sport Sedan comparison test" and the TL Type-S ran 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. (go here: http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/46528/article.html )

The Acura only comes as an automatic (for right now).

Andrew

[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: indys2k ]

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I am a firm believer in "it all depends on the driver" type thing. You can race against a bad driver in a TL-S and beat them. I have beaten Type-R's in my 96 Maxima 5 speed (only because those kids didn't know how to drive their V-techs). I recently particated in the Motor Trend Cadillac challenge and had the opportunity to drive some great cars. Their was an autocross/road course section and you got a T-shirt for beating the editor's best time. I couldn't come close.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: rllis300 ]

·
Registered
10 Posts
It doesn't take much skill to just push the accelerator to the floor.

Originally posted by rllis300:
I am a firm believer in "it all depends on the driver" type thing. You can race against a bad driver in a TL-S and beat them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm looking at those three cars right now, too. What I found is the Acura, although it isnt as pretty, It out preforms the compettion. Plus it is an Acura which will definitly last! The 330i will cost you a lot more then $33,000. The automatic trans cost an additional $1,500. After options like 17 inch wheels(sports package), moonroof, real leather, an auto trans your looking at $39,000. The IS300 is kinda tricky, I think it looks alright, but its kinda small looking, I't doen't really fit the lexus profile. If I had the cash I would go for the BMW. If I was young I would get the IS300. If I was old I would get the Acura. Let me know what you get. I can't decide either, now I'm thinking of getting a used corvette.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Those times in Road & Track are awfully slow for the TL-S.

Here are other published times:

Motor Trend:
0-60: 6.3 1/4 mile: 14.7

Car and Driver:
0-60: 6.2 1/4 mile: 14.8

AutoWorld:
0-60: 6.3 1/4 mile: 14.8

I am a TL-S owner, but I also looked very closely at the IS300 and almost bought one. I like the IS300 alot and my best friend has one (kind of persuaded me not to buy it considering i'd have the same car as my best friend). He can outhandle my car anyday, but both times we raced off the line, my TL-S blew his doors off. From 0-80 mph, I had him by a good 5-6 car lengths. I have no idea what R&T is thinking (or smoking) to declare that the TL-S and IS300 are similar in acceleration.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Lexus IS 300 looks small in the U.S. Overseas it is just right and a hit there (which is pretty hard to do). It is truly a world-class car.

TL built and made for America following ES suit, bigger is better.

Different mags have diff times for the same cars, don't have a cow.
Handle it in the street, that's all the comparisons you need!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Originally posted by Suxel:
[QB]It doesn't take much skill to just push the accelerator to the floor.

What I mean by a "bad driver" is someone who doesn't know how to drive fast. For example #1) I kinda raced my cousin in her 2k Max 5 speed b/c she said she could beat me (and technically she could have). But I knew how she drove - she shifts at around 4k rpm. so beat her to the next light. #2) I raced another cousin in my old car I sold him (96 Max 5 speed as well) and he only shifted at around 4.5 so I beat him too. #3) Raced my friends 5 speed 96 Mustang with my old Max. I beat him and knew I could because once again he was a 4.5k shifter. #4) Those two Type-R's I beat with my Max - those clowns shifted before their killer V-Techs kicked in.

Let me just say that I know how to pick my races. All of those cars are 6.6 0-60 or less but the drivers didn't know how to drive them to their fullest. IMO the IS3 takes getting used to in terms of driving it "quickly" (i.e. e-shifting, learning about the power button, good launches) since I have been driving a manual for 12 years.

You are right, flooring it does not require alot of skill BUT not putting it in power mode and/or not e-shifting slows down your 0-70 sprint, right?

[ August 13, 2001: Message edited by: rllis300 ]

·
Registered
336 Posts
SickTypeS said:
Those times in Road & Track are awfully slow for the TL-S. <P>Here are other published times:<P>Motor Trend:
0-60: 6.3 1/4 mile: 14.7<P>Car and Driver:
0-60: 6.2 1/4 mile: 14.8<P>AutoWorld:
0-60: 6.3 1/4 mile: 14.8<P>I am a TL-S owner, but I also looked very closely at the IS300 and almost bought one. I like the IS300 alot and my best friend has one (kind of persuaded me not to buy it considering i'd have the same car as my best friend). He can outhandle my car anyday, but both times we raced off the line, my TL-S blew his doors off. From 0-80 mph, I had him by a good 5-6 car lengths. I have no idea what R&T is thinking (or smoking) to declare that the TL-S and IS300 are similar in acceleration.

Ouch, didn't realize they were that far ahead even before the make-over. Now they gotta be in the low 14's I guess? I know thats where the new accord v6 6 speed is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts