Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the jury is out on this one but I think for the money I rather buy a Mitsubishi EVO if its available here in the States.

Imagine 280HP, AWD, big spoiler, larger breaks, and Rally Sports performance.

My gripe about the Lexus is price, in Japan and Europe its a TOYOTA ALTEZZA, not some MARKETING name like LEXUS.

I think on both dry and wet pavement, the EVO VI will eat the IS300 on every turn.

I think I'm pretty over the IS300 look, those tail-lights are everywhere on the street these days, from a NEON to a Chevy Blazer.

If Toyota charged the same money for the ALTEZZA here, then its a good buy.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
In Europe and parts of Asia it is the LEXUS IS200, not the toyota altezza. if you are over the IS300 look, imagine if the IS300 was a Toyota Altezza here, it would mean lower price and everyone and their grandma would have one. If it was cheaper, then it would bring the Lexus nameplate down, their brand will have less wieght and thats not good for business. Nobody says the Lancer Evo is not a great car, hell so is the Supra, RX7, Subaru WRX and Skyline, but those are not available here, so why even bother?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Darn, I knew I missed something! It's too bad we've all wasted our dough on our ritzed-up Altezzas. I wish I was in your shoes, enjoying that imaginary US-spec EVO VI.

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited November 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
442 Posts
ok and the point of this is??? Why don't we just put the IS up against the R34 while we are at it. Then after that how about an S15 too..oh then one of them cabs where the doors open by themselves...i heard them things bake the road!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Wow, this is probably the worse comparison I have seen. I won't even challenge a Evo V or later with a C5 corvette, let alone in my IS or compare them. Evo is the best car ever build by Mitsubishi, not doubt about that. You have to keep in mind that Evo is build as a race car rather than daily driving car, and it is packed with some of the most advanced technology you can find on this planet for cars under $50K. Heck, I think it can even come face to face with a Modena and stand a pretty good chance of beating one, especially on dirty roads.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You need to stick to comparing the IS300 with 330s, A4s and C320s. Even if the EVO was available in America, the only 4-door cars worthy of being compared to it are the M5, E55, XJR, and GS430.

·
Registered
654 Posts
1. Altezza does not equal IS300
2. The Evo is not coming to America (as far as my knowledge goes) because Mitsubishi apparently doesn't know what the market wants.
3. The Evo makes about 300HP
4. The only true opponent of the Lancer Evolution VI is the Impreza WRX STi (I think that's the right name).

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I think you guys forget which country you live in. Here in Massachusetts, I'd need a mouth guard if I drove the Evo VI on Boston streets, every bump or pothole would loosen my teeth. That thing's incredibly stiff, much too stiff for US streets, you'd hate it every time you drove on bad roads, which is pretty much ALL roads here in Massachusetts. It's also impossible to drive that thing in stop and go traffic. The car doesn't impress me that much, Subaru impresses me more cause they're managing to actually bring their rally-type car to the US and pass emissions. Cheers for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts