Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone driven a jetta here?..i can't decide what to get...I've driven the IS300 and i know is an awesome car but the jetta doesnt seen to be that bad and cost alot less..the jetta has decent speed and comfy interior

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm moving from a GTI to the IS.

No comparison.

The Jetta rocks, but you CANNOT even begin to compare it with the IS.

The fact that you could buy 2 Jetta's for the price of a single IS should tell you that there is a mountain of difference.

I do love that VW though.

My friends Jetta is so sweet!!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Profchriss...how bout Jetta vs. BMW 323..i drove the 323 and it is SLOWWWWW.....323 and IS cost about the same and for $34000..of course im taking IS but for $10000 less..i think im taking Jetta over 323..

·
8,107 Posts
Integra GS-R sedan is as fast as Jetta VR6 and 323i, and costs less than both. It handles a lot better than the Jetta too. But it's noisy and interior is plain. Cheap though, with big discounts now. Good resale, people are offering $2000 over trade-in for my '97.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Integra is long over due for new model and im getting tired of hondas..dun get me wrong..i drive hondas myself and they're great cars but now i want less rpm's and more torque!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have looked at the Jetta as well but I am a bit concerned about the Jetta's potentially poor reliability. Does anyone have the same concerns? Can anyone offer evidence that the Jetta is a reliable vehicle?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by Dudley:
I have looked at the Jetta as well but I am a bit concerned about the Jetta's potentially poor reliability. Does anyone have the same concerns? Can anyone offer evidence that the Jetta is a reliable vehicle?
I was looking at a V6 Jetta with Automatic for my wife. I test drove it and it was decent, but then I realized that the bumper to bumper warranty is only 24/24k! I think that says a boatload on how the manufacturer views the realiability of their own vehicles. Yes I know that it has a longer drivetrain warranty, but what good is that going to do you when everything around it falls apart at 25k miles?!

[This message has been edited by CiscoGuy (edited July 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HHMMM.....good thought,Ciscoguy..by the way..do u work for Cisco System or u own bunch of Cisco stock shares?I owned some and hoping it will buy me an IS300..hehe..=)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree that the Jetta should be reliable but a few publications have questioned its longterm reliability. Although the Jetta was developed in Germany, the assembly takes place in Mexico.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by polobee69:
HHMMM.....good thought,Ciscoguy..by the way..do u work for Cisco System or u own bunch of Cisco stock shares?I owned some and hoping it will buy me an IS300..hehe..=)
Answer to both questions are yes

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The Jetta has also been criticized of having poor handling compared to other cars in its class. Car and Driver did a comparison with several other sports sedans such as the BMW 323i, Audi A4 1.8T, Infiniti G20, and Ford SVT Contour (the Audi won).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oh boy, I'm really confused. OK, the Jetta (or Bora in other countries) has a V6 in its US lineup. But if my understanding is correct, its a Golf Sedan right? I admit that VW's strategy is to put this sedan in a higher position than the Golf (thus the different name), but the chassis and platform and engine and many other things that can be commonized with the Golf is commonized, right?

I mean, torsion bar suspension in the rear! German technology may be superb, but could they be so great that a torsion bar compete against a double-wishbone? Well, if you're carrying something heavy all the time, I guess it might be a legitimate comparison.

OK, I know this is not true in the US, but the Golf, Jetta, Bora (whatever) belong to the same segment as the Renault Megane, Opel Astra, Ford Focus, Peugeot 306, Nissan Almera (Sunny or Sentra) and Toyota Corolla in Europe right?(somebody in Europe correct me if I'm wrong). So this Jetta I'm hearing is a super luxurious, powerful version of the Golf sedan that I have not had the chance to see, right?

OK, back to comparing it to the IS.

...someone help, I still don't get it

[This message has been edited by Altezza (edited July 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
403 Posts
Consumer Reports lists the Jetta as 11% below zero (ie, "black" versus "red"). While it's still a recommended buy, the projected reliability is well below most other cars in its class the CR rated. Acura, Honda, Toyota and Mazda are all rated better than the Jetta.

Also .... long warranty periods are essentially meaningless. For example, KIAs have a 100,000 mile warranty, but are absolute junk according to virtually every reliability assessment.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Polo, now you're trying to be frugal with your car purchase! I would ask myself a couple questions. Can I afford the IS through my current save and spend plan? Will it compromise my other expenditures and savings? If it does then you might have to be willing to give up some of your savings and or expenditure. If you aren't willing to do that or cannot then go for the Jetta vr6. Personally, I would consider chipping a 1.8T Golf if I was looking at a Jetta.

[This message has been edited by brad (edited July 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
424 Posts
Actually Jetta is synonymous with Bora. In US/Canada, we call it Jetta. In HK/Europe, we call it Bora.

What a coincidence, there is a comparison of VW Bora vs Lexus IS200 in the current issue of a few HK auto magazines.

2 of the auto magazines that I read used VW Bora 2.3 ([email protected],[email protected]) to compare against IS200 Sport ([email protected],[email protected])

Each one is equipped with leather seats and auto transmission. IS200 wins in the overall rating. On the other hand, Bora wins the performance rating (IS200 lacks power)

There are about 6-7 pages on the comparison.

Though Golf and Bora(Jetta) are under the same roof, Bora is definitely a more up-scale car here.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK now...JW said that the Jetta was compared to bmw 323i and audi A4 in car and driver and AndyL said it was being compared to an IS200 in some mags..then how bad could the Jetta be even if it did not win the comparison?

·
Registered
571 Posts
much love to you guys, but what are wo doing talking about Jettas?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Jetta VR6 as well as the Passat. Nothing wrong with them, but a Jetta is in a class, price and league lower than the IS. Besides, Jettas are something you look at when you buy a Civic,Teg or Accord.

Beside, there's the honey factor you forget to put in. What sounds better? "I drive a VW" or "I drive a LEXUS".

James,
98 Integra GSR
Jackson Racing SC

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Jetta is availible with a 1.9 Turbo Diesel four cylinder (I think 90 hp), a standard 8v two litre four cyliner at 115 hp, a 1.8 Turbo four with 20v at 150 hp, and the VR6 174 hp, the VR6 is a narrow 15 degree angle v6 engine designed to fit in a four cylinder compartment. The JETTA, GOLF, BEETLE, and the Audi TT all share the same floor pan.

I own a 99.5 GOLF and have two different opinions regarding Volkswagen.

The first; I like the cars and the new ones are the nicest Volkwagens ever to be produced. My mother owned Volkswagens almost the entire time I was growing up--both air and water cooled--and I have owned 9 Volkswagens myself. They are very solid cars much like most German cars. You get the feeling you are riding in a tank. A feeling I never experienced in the Toyota, Mazda, or Hondas I have owned. They are not as fast as other cars in their category which is probably due to the weight, but you will not regret this if you are ever involved in an accident.

It isn't all about speed.

Sometimes accidents do happen and if I was in an accident and had the choice of Honda or Volkswagen, I would run from the Honda. My mother was broadsided last December in her three-month-old GOLF by a man that ran a red light at an intersection. He hit her passenger door at about 45mph, spinning her completely around and totalling the car. My mom got out of the car with not one bruise, cut, and not even a sore neck. That says alot.

My second opinion; I have had transmission problems with my GOLF which I don't think are acceptable. My mother owns the same car and has not had one single problem. My car rattles when it is cold and went in for it two months into ownership. Then they rebuilt the transmission--twice--and replaced the fifth gear. To no avail. Then they installed an update to the gearshift because it started vibrating. Then it started shaking so the finally replaced the entire transmission about one month ago. The gearshift still vibrates a little (which is unacceptable) when letting off the gas between 45-55mph. It goes in again in a week or so for this.

I asked for a new car as it has been in five times for problems relating to the transmission. I was offered $1500 trade in assistance on a new Volkswagen but instead opted for my warranty being extended from 2yr/24,000 bumper to bumper to 3yr/36,000. The cars have a 10 yr/ 100,000 on the drivetrain. Alot of the dealers are not places you would want to deal with. I found an excellent dealer, but they are not the norm. The corporation's customer service leaves much to be desired.

[This message has been edited by Arik (edited July 18, 2000).]

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
37 Participants
Agent Smith
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing