Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently got a 2001 E Shift Lexus IS300 and my friend with a stock 2001 Jetta 1.8t smoked me off the line. Could there be something wrong with my car or is the Jetta just a quicker car?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
MTAC01 said:
i recently got a 2001 E Shift Lexus IS300 and my friend with a stock 2001 Jetta 1.8t smoked me off the line. Could there be something wrong with my car or is the Jetta just a quicker car?
Your friend has some mods that he is not telling you about, like a Chip. Or there is something wrong with your IS300, or you can't drive your IS300. That last one being a least possible option, due to the fact that you own an Automatic. He should not be smoking you if he is Stock. If anything it will be dead even.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Did you launch correctly? Because when i went to the tracks, i was only hitting 16.0 because my launch was so bad. Learn how to launch your auto.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't see it being hard to belive a stock 1.8T beating a E-shift IS300. I belive they run mid-low 15's stock.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah, work on your launch. But even with a weak launch you should catch him by third gear and walk him. They're quick off the line, but pretty weak up top without mods. There's chip for the 1.8Ts that put an extra 15-20 horses to the wheels though. My friend's 1.8T Beetle with only an intake dynoed an extra 16HP to the wheels after installing that chip (I can't remember who makes it).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
1.8T's are somewhat fast stock. They're 15.7 stock for the 180hp models and like 16.3 for the 150hp models. I'm thinking it would be a good race if you knew how to launch.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
First of all, Im guessing the 1.8T was manual cuz auto theyre SLOW.

I go to the So Cal Dubber car meets out here cuz I used to have a VW. Showed up last week in the IS (first time) and everyone wanted to race. I went up against two different people. Im manual w/ 100lbs of subs in the trunk & I had a 160lb passenger. I raced a 6 speed GLI 1.8t 4 times.

His GLI had an intake, exhaust and chip but he wasnt tuned. 2 of our races with this car were from a stop and he got his ass HANDED to him. The other two were from a roll where once we were dead even and the second time he beat me.

Keep in mind I had a lot of excess weight in my car. If you race from a stop and launch properly you should be quite even. They pull hard in the mid-range rpm.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I guess this would depend on whether the Jetta was stick or auto. My gf used to have a 1.8T auto and that thing was definitely slower than an E-Shift IS. I have a manual IS and I run stock manual 1.8Ts and I have never lost. If your friend has a chip then that will make a big difference too because those engines get quite an increase with those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts