Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so is the new upcoming is250 supposed to be faster than the current is300? if so, this boggs me down real bad. :(

·
Registered
656 Posts
No, it's not any faster, and in fact has less torque and more weight, and less horsepower though they are using a different HP standard now. It will still feel pretty good once it gets going, from what I gather based on driver impressions, but the IS300 actually outperforms it a little. Hope that makes you feel better.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I still like the feel of that inline six as opposed to a v-6 but I'll wait and see what lexus has done to the new IS. I've driven other v6's and it just doesnt feel the same to me. I guess I'll wait and see when I go and test one out at the dealership when they arrive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldnt worry, if you consider a couple of things. As mentioned previously the new IS weighs a decent amount more (their claimed weight of in the 3400-range is dry weight, just like the claimed factory weight of the IS300 is 3285. Once you add fluids it will probably eclipse the 3600lb mark) And considering that the car makes less HP and MUCH less tq (30lbs or so if i remember) i dont see the car being able to out accelerate a camry, much less a IS300. If you add the AWD to it it bumps weight more and adds more drivetrain losses.

The using a different HP metric is a heap of crap, if they arent measuing their cars with SAE horsepower, then all their stats are null and void when compared to anyting else, which is what stats are for. As far as handling goes, i wouldnt worry, weight is the enemy and the new IS has more of it.

wow can anyone tell i dont care for the new IS.......

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
anorexicpoodle said:
The using a different HP metric is a heap of crap, if they arent measuing their cars with SAE horsepower, then all their stats are null and void when compared to anyting else, which is what stats are for. As far as handling goes, i wouldnt worry, weight is the enemy and the new IS has more of it.

wow can anyone tell i dont care for the new IS.......
Actually it's not a heap of crap. They WERE using SAE standards before... but SAE changed the standards! Apparently there was too much "interpretation" allowed in the guidelines for rating the power of engines... and manufacturers were taking advantage of this to create higher hp numbers than they should have. So now with the new testing standard... many companies (especially foreign ones) are noting decreases in the power ratings of their engines.

·
Premium Member
11,375 Posts
IS250's 0-60mph = 8.4sec , correct me if i'm wrong on this recall. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
48 Posts
If the new IS 250 is as slow as you're guys saying, then lexus really prostituted the IS image!!! 0-60 in 8.4sec???? That is so XXth century. Even the Scion Tc is faster than that.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
jandak said:
If the new IS 250 is as slow as you're guys saying, then lexus really prostituted the IS image!!! 0-60 in 8.4sec???? That is so XXth century. Even the Scion Tc is faster than that.
People who care about fast 0-60 times will buy the IS350. People who just want a nice, reliable car with a bit of sportiness to it and is good on gas will buy the IS250.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Crester said:
People who care about fast 0-60 times will buy the IS350. People who just want a nice, reliable car with a bit of sportiness to it and is good on gas will buy the IS250.
and yet they will ignore the Mercedes and BMW counterparts that outperform it?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
anorexicpoodle said:
and yet they will ignore the Mercedes and BMW counterparts that outperform it?
As I just said above... believe it or not... some people don't care about 0-60 times...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Crester said:

Ya see, this is where I think that Lexus has to go over its strategy. Lexus wants to compete with BMW's 3 series. They are trying to tap into a new market (i.e. not the minimal amount of enthusiasts that bought the last model... us performance minded folks).. the dull.. stepford-like individuals that just drive the car because "it's a beemer".

The debate is what is the magic formula. I don't care who you are, no one likes to be flooring the car when merging and still not be able to get past the 18 wheeler in the right lane (no offense... but chicks get especially un-nerved by this scenario). I think that will be Lexus' downfall. They are "killing" what they do best... luxury. Hence, they are saying that performance is secondary in the minds of the "stepford" drivers. But, they still need some real world power for safety/practical matters... and 8.4sec 0-60 times do not cut it and fall below the BMW.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
ryman said:
The debate is what is the magic formula. I don't care who you are, no one likes to be flooring the car when merging and still not be able to get past the 18 wheeler in the right lane (no offense... but chicks get especially un-nerved by this scenario). I think that will be Lexus' downfall. They are "killing" what they do best... luxury. Hence, they are saying that performance is secondary in the minds of the "stepford" drivers. But, they still need some real world power for safety/practical matters... and 8.4sec 0-60 times do not cut it and fall below the BMW.
People who have driven the IS250 says it's power feels pretty similar to the IS300.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Crester said:
As I just said above... believe it or not... some people don't care about 0-60 times...
I dont think i ever quoted 0-60 times. I simply said outperform. And this is precisely the truth.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
anorexicpoodle said:
I dont think i ever quoted 0-60 times. I simply said outperform. And this is precisely the truth.
I know what you are saying... and what I am saying is... not everybody cares about a car's handling, performance, etc. They just want a good reliable car with a "sporty image".

I had a conversation with a co-op student at my workplace that applies here:

Me: So what have you done with your car?
Student: I wanted to increase it's performance so I bought some stiffer springs. Now the car handles really well.
Me: Do you take the car to the track?
Student: No.
Me: Do you do auto-crossing?
Me: Are there any particular, fun roads that you like to take your car on and push it's limits?
Me: So what was the benefit of buying those springs again?
Student: Because I wanted to increase it's performance.
Me: But you don't even take the car anywhere to appreciate those springs? So you're not really benefitting from them at all.
Student: Well... uhh... errr...

The point to all of that was... most people eventually realize they don't need 306hp and a ultra stiff suspension to drive to work. Why do you think you see so many lower model BMW 3-series on the road? Remember the 318??? Those were hardly rockets.

·
Premium Member
11,375 Posts
^ lol @ the convo. :lol:

·
Whatever they say I am...
2,700 Posts
Crester said:
The point to all of that was... most people eventually realize they don't need 306hp and a ultra stiff suspension to drive to work. Why do you think you see so many lower model BMW 3-series on the road? Remember the 318??? Those were hardly rockets.
good point...you know the funny thing is that people act like we are going from a 350 HP AWD Inline Twin-Turbo to what Lexus is offering in the new IS. Yes I think we will all miss the 2JZ-GE, but its not like it was actually the fastest kid on the block either....If I get a 204 HP IS250 with the 6sp manual or AWD 6sp auto...I think it will be enough for me as daily car....but thats just me. Everyone is different...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Crester said:
People who have driven the IS250 says it's power feels pretty similar to the IS300.
I agree that no one will know until they actually have one and get out there on the roads... real world power and performance... it will be interesting to see...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Crester said:
I TOTALLY agree ... if 0-60 time mattered that much, why did the BMW325 outsell the IS300 ??

·
Registered
52 Posts
ryman said:
Ya see, this is where I think that Lexus has to go over its strategy. Lexus wants to compete with BMW's 3 series. They are trying to tap into a new market (i.e. not the minimal amount of enthusiasts that bought the last model... us performance minded folks).. the dull.. stepford-like individuals that just drive the car because "it's a beemer".

from what i've read the quoted lexus times are 7.9 for rwd and 8.2 for awd.

some magazines have alluded to a time of around 7.3-7.5 for an auto is250 rwd that they casually stopwatch timed.

7.3 doesnt seem terrible at all. i used to drive a 2001 nissan altima auto. the quoted 0-60 on that was something like 8.8 seconds. and it passed and accelerated fine on the freeway. its not like us in america are on the autobahn trying to pass a car going 130mph. its just a car going maybe 65. any car can pass that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hans007 said:
from what i've read the quoted lexus times are 7.9 for rwd and 8.2 for awd.

some magazines have alluded to a time of around 7.3-7.5 for an auto is250 rwd that they casually stopwatch timed.

7.3 doesnt seem terrible at all. i used to drive a 2001 nissan altima auto. the quoted 0-60 on that was something like 8.8 seconds. and it passed and accelerated fine on the freeway. its not like us in america are on the autobahn trying to pass a car going 130mph. its just a car going maybe 65. any car can pass that.
Not to be mean, but, do you live around NYC? if so... then you know that 65mph is the min speed limit... and your merge lane can be as short as 20yds (Hutch entrance by Pelham Pkwy anyone?).... so you had best have something that can haul ass.... and a portly 8sec 0-60 isn't going to cut it...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts