Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we went and test drove the IS250 last night, well got it as a demo vehicle for the night. So made a few runs against the IS300. They are close All the IS has is a k & n drop in filter. on the top end the IS250 pulled away not by much but it did I mean over 100 when it did this, down low it was still pretty even give or take a car length depending on the launch difference.

So it looks like the new model isn't slower at all, and god they are soo much nicer inside. The seats whew i'm in love, i'm wondering if the new seats will drop into the old IS.

While this may need to go in the Street i figured that alot of people in here would like to know that the IS250 is not anymore of a slouch than the IS300. going to go drive a IS350 that they are supposed to be getting in friday that's FULLY loaded for 42K is what they said so I'll take a look at it. Seems like it will be a nice car, with plenty of power but by the same token the IS250 honestly has enough. (but every guy knows there's no such thing).

I would strongly encourage everyone to drive their is300 to the dealership esp if it's stock push it on the way some and then drive the 250 first not the 350, otherwise i think you will be seriously disillusioned about the 250's power.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Can you do allwheeldrive launches in the awd is250?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Hmm for some reason i dont buy that :) its heavier and makes the same or less power. How can it be just as fast? Not to mention some one else raced one and beat.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ gearing i guess. but didn't the person who beat it have a few bolt ons?

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Sentinel said:
Hmm for some reason i dont buy that :) its heavier and makes the same or less power. How can it be just as fast? Not to mention some one else raced one and beat.

it's only 200 lbs heavier (if it's a manual) + i bet you their whp are pretty similar ;)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
IS300_S said:
it's only 200 lbs heavier (if it's a manual) + i bet you their whp are pretty similar ;)
"only" 200 lb thats a big only.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Sentinel said:
"only" 200 lb thats a big only.
yeah it's like having a passenger riding with you.......and from what i know a 100 lbs is only a tenth of a second in a 1/4 mile. how much do you think it will affect the cars in short runs :cool:

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also the diff between my is which does have 74k miles on it. but still on the top end the IS250 wanted to pull away slowly past 100 ( by 120 it was roughly about 5 or 10 feet ahead.. So i'm thinking maybe a better gearing up at those speeds or better drag coefficent.

·
Registered
59 Posts
GUYS also remember.....

The 250 has 204hp using the NEW SAE standard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many times to we have to say this! With the older standard that the 300 was using it comes out to be about 214hp...... Still it is hard to believe that it is faster up top, being heavier. Maybe the gearing is better suited in the 250 at that speed..... Not that it matters up top really, but the 250 also has less torque too, a lot less..... I wonder how this plays in the ability for the motor to get the rpms up quicker than the 300.......

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hard to say after driving both because the IS300 Seems quicker but the IS250 had no trouble keeping up down a twisty road. so i think the extra gear kinda keeps in in the powerband better. I don't know i was kinda suprised my expectations where 1 - 2 cars by 120 but it proved to be a little closer than that. now last night i should say that i did clean the maf sensor prior to this so the IS300 was running of a freshly reset computer but i doubt that made THAT much of a difference. guess i forgot to write that.

·
Registered
409 Posts
IceCold4x4 said:
also the diff between my is which does have 74k miles on it. but still on the top end the IS250 wanted to pull away slowly past 100 ( by 120 it was roughly about 5 or 10 feet ahead.. So i'm thinking maybe a better gearing up at those speeds or better drag coefficent.
Yes, and one more gear helps a lot too, particularly at the top end. :)

EDIT: Oops just noticed it's already been noted. Anyway, good analysis, IceCold4x4. I agree that a combination of better gearing and lower drag coefficient helps the IS250 at the top end.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
whats the diff? .1 or .01? I forget

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the dif in what? drag coef or 1/4 mile time dropping 100 lbs

becuase if you drop 100 lbs generally 1/4 miles improves about .1

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^ good question i don't think anyone has put one on a chassis dyno yet

·
Registered
59 Posts
pay-me-now said:
what's the is250 putting down to the wheels? gearing is a big part and drivetrain loss.

So true pay-me-now, so true, that is why the old 3 Series used to seem faster than our is300 even though the car only had 10hp more. Gearing and drivetrain effficiency.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
IS250 also has electric power steering that robs less power than the old hydraulic kind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts