Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I can't believe that I'm launching a serious IS300 vs XXX topic, but I would like some infomation/opinions and this board seems to be filled with knowlagable individuals on both pro and con is300.

I fell in love with the Altezza when I saw it in sports compact car Magazine, and was thrilled when I found out that the IS300 would be available in the US.
I've been waiting paitiently for a GPS system and stick to be available.

Then came the Subaru Imprezza WRX
-AWD
-220-250hp(heard range of specs)
-0-60 in 5.9!!!??(no confirmation on this)
check out the pics:
-Turbocharged outof the box
-$26000 well equiped
http://www.fhi.co.jp/subaru

Granted the IS300 is more refined and well it's a Lexus.
The price difference is considerable and I do seem to be getting more bang for the buck out of the Subaru!!!.

BTW I live in PA and have some wicked winters. The AWD would definetly be an advantage over the lexus.

Help!!!!
Again, I'm not trolling, not putting out flame bait. I want the opinions of the knowlagable people of this form so I can make an informed decision. Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
OMG!!!!

Are they really FINALLY going to bring the WRX to the STATES!?!?!?!?!?!

That KICKS @SS!!!!

The two cars are so different, they are hard to compare. Obviously the WRX will be the performer, but definitely less comfortable than the IS300. Depends upon your priorities.

[This message has been edited by Golden (edited October 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
650 Posts
Man, its hard to compare. The IS is luxury. The WRX is performance. Especially if your talking the JDM version WRX. It would smoke us bad. Even the 2.5 RS Impreza i think could give us a run. I heard that Subaru is bringing the WRX here, but it will be watered down version to like 220 turbocharged horses. Nothing a boost controller can't solve though...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The Subaru WRX can be compared to the Japan only Toyota Corolla WRC edition. From what I know, it makes about 280hp, has awd, and handles like nothing else out there - it's a hatchback corolla. Too bad they don't import it to the US.
But the IS300 is a sports-luxury sedan. It may not perform the same as the Subaru only because it's not meant to.
Heck the WRX will outperform even the S500, and they're not in the same price range either. Right?!
So go for the WRX if that's all you can afford. But you'll be buyin one of the ugliest cars on the planet.
good luck

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Golden-- Yes the WRX is comming to america but not with the 280hp jdm engine. The rumours I've hear(dealers don't have any real info yet ) say that it will be here early next year with a 220hp engine.

hasanazhar-- Actually I could swing either car financially, but I do like to feel that I'm getting good value for my money.

BTW check out the pedals on the WRX

Look familiar??

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I knew the WRX was coming and considered waiting, but decided to go for the IS300 anyways because:

1> The IS300 looks ALOT better (IMHO)
2> The IS300 is much more quiet
3> The IS300 is much more refined
4> The IS300 has neat features like an awesome stereo

If I lived in "Snow Country" I might have changed my mind. The AWD and twin turbo power at that price are going to be a great combination.

When I made my choice I hadn't seen the look of the production WRX. Once I saw the pics it made me feel better that I picked an IS300, because those round headlight clusters really ruin the look of the car...

·
8,107 Posts
I used to bring this topic up a lot, look back a few months. Couple comments:
As posted, the US "WRX" is actually the Impreza Turbo. The current Impreza Turbo has 215hp I think? New one will be more, probably 225-240hp. It'll go 0-60 in 5.0 to 5.4 sec. Early reviews of the new model say it's much more refined, faster, heavier by 150 lb, much nicer interior, on par with competition, and better handling. The Brits have been saying they like the old one better cause it's less refined and more animal-like. But they like warm beer too, so go figure.
Basically it's the perfect performance sedan, and a steal at $25,000, but it's SO UGLY that I'm not sure anyone but fanatics will buy it. Check out the STi version, they fixed the nasty headlights, it looks cool! http://www.new-impreza.com/swrt2001.htm

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx All,
0-60 in 5.0 to 5.4 ?!?!?!
Wow.

You guys seem to have alot more data than the Subaru Dealers have Which is none!

One Salesman said that they were suspiciously tight lipped about the WRX.

I'm gonna wait for the IS to be available in stick and test drive both.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I think the new WRX (AKA Impreza Turbo) will be officially "launched" in the USA in March, 2001.

I would bet 0-60 is more like 5.9, not 5.2...

In any case it will easily out-accelerate an IS300 for $5,000+ less money.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think using the name WRX is derogatory to the true WRX since the turbo Impreza coming to America is nothing compared to the AWD legend over seas.

The WRX has its definite advantages in performance (220 on a car that light can easily beat an IS, AWD for grip crazy driving) but it's plain painful to look at, and most likely noisy, so it would cater to a different crowd than us "refined" IS300 owners :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
shadoh6
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing