Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does every one think is similar or different between this inline 6 and the smooth V8 of the gs400
1 handleing is wins
2 acceleration gs wins
3 luxery gs wins
4 looks is wins
5 fun factor is wins
6 price is wins
7 quality gs wins

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not sure on that quality one. IS should be just as solid as the GS. GS is fast as hell but also very heavy feeling and cumbersome with a terrible suspension. Over 100 MPH it's downright scary. Shocks are WAY underdamped and it has the most body roll of anything this side of a Buick. Also it has MUCH more polar inertia than the IS and with all the torque it's easy to go too far with the oversteer. Brake feel was also much better in the IS although the GS brakes are still great. I like the GS but it's more of a luxo cruiser than a sports sedan.

------------------
Dan
98 R #1054 (not for much longer)
Godspeed Inc.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
"Over 100MPH it's downright scary??" NO WAY... I have the 17inch wheels on my GS400 and I could cruise forever comfortably at well over 100mph. "It has the most body roll this side of a Buick?"..... WHAT?!? I think it handles beautifully.... I feel more confident in my GS400 than my mother's 540i (also with 17inch wheels)....
ANYWAYS why are you guys even comparing the two. They are of different sizes, different weights, different price class ...etc.... You can't compare a 52K car to a 35K car... If you want to make comparisons then compare the GS400 to the 540i, E430, or A6 4.2..... The IS300 can be compared to 330i or Audi A4 2.8..... This is not sibling rivalry guys...
Eric.......

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Both are luxury sedans with a performance bent.

Lexus marketing says that the IS300 will appeal to someone who wants a GS400 but cannot afford one.

The IS300 will be easier to park in a "compact" parking space.

Rear seat occupants would much rather be in the GS than the cramped IS.

The GS400 projects an image of wealth and success.

The IS300 projects an image of youth but with a corporate presentation.

(The GS400 will look at home parked at a golf course or at the private airport.)

(The IS300 will look at home in the parking lot of a high tech startup.)

I think your other points were pretty much on the money.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i feel the g4 is a lot more of a performance car than the is3 is it also rides better. i also think that the g4 is alot more fun to drive. as far as looks they both are nice especially after being modified. our dealership happens to have a toyota team europe silver/black g4 that is slammed with a body kit and exhuast that is awesome and definitely has everyone breaking their necks to look at it. but thats alot more $$$$$$ than the is3.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Perhaps I'm comparing the GS400 to something smaller or more sporty but yes the suspension is VERY floaty at higher speeds. This is with 17 inch wheels. I'm going to have the thing aligned to see if perhaps that's part of the problem but the shocks are definately underdamped and the sway bars allow too much body roll. Other than the suspension (which can easily be fixed with a nice Tein suspension), the car is a great car. I found the IS to ride very well but the real world is very different than a small course so I can't really judge that.

------------------
Dan
98 R #1054 (not for much longer)
Godspeed Inc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
God
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing