Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic will make people upset but I want to know what you think. I plan on purchasing an IS300 in late december because I figure dealers are more willing to deal at the end of the year to meet quotas. Well anyway, has anyone ever noticed how similiar the front end of the Corolla and IS300 are. Now the funny thing is that the IS300 has been around longer than the new Corolla if you consider the Altezza and IS200. So I must applaud Toyota in making it's base model (Corolla) more appealing. A little change could be done to differeniate the front ends.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by sloop:
I know this topic will make people upset but I want to know what you think. I plan on purchasing an IS300 in late december because I figure dealers are more willing to deal at the end of the year to meet quotas. Well anyway, has anyone ever noticed how similiar the front end of the Corolla and IS300 are. Now the funny thing is that the IS300 has been around longer than the new Corolla if you consider the Altezza and IS200. So I must applaud Toyota in making it's base model (Corolla) more appealing. A little change could be done to differeniate the front ends.
maybe that's because people who can't afford IS300 can go buy something similiar.
just my $0.02.

i've notice that too. but doesn't bother me.
if they can't tell the difference between corolla and IS300....oh well...they could go buy and corolla and save some money.
they won't know the difference(performance wise) anyways.

------------------
xxsiLveR_iS300xx

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Corolla...Civic...IS300...aaah hell it's all the same thing. HAR HAR HAR. Performance wise a Corolla sport with VVT-i just might hold it's own against an IS300. Rejoice Toyota Corolla owners!! Your vehicle isn't to far off!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
QuikVR6....a Corolla/Civic compared to an IS? Same performance? WTF? what have you been smokin? I guess you think you're a big pimp with your VR6 right? Man, i'd take a lex over a vw any day of the week. VW is like the low end german cars...for people that couldn't afford the BMW's or Mercedes. At least the IS is a LUXURY car, which is something that i cant say for your GTI VR6. Or should I say your suped up Hyundai excel? N*gga please...da IS is the macaroni with da cheese.

------------------
Bling Bling...its an IS thing

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
you must be quite pissed that you can't afford an IS , because you try to bash it every chance that you get.
how about we talk about vr6's? they have a motor with a SOHC (even though it is a v motor, the fact that the intake and exhaust cam lobes are on the same cam for each bank of cylinders makes it SOHC) then there is the fact that it is a 12 valve motor, 2 valves per cylinder, if that isn't old school and pathetic, then what is. the stock bottom end also can't support more than 375 hp to the wheels, while the toyota bottom end can support well over that. then there is the fact that it only has 174 hp, compared to the IS which has 215, but that you can probably chalk up to the ****ty motor design.
next lets talk about the weak transaxle and cv joints, that break, honda civics have stronger transmissions and axles than that car.
or we could point out another ****ty design in the motor, it is an interference motor (valve bender) . i am sure that honda and mitsu owners can relate to the headache from that.
last but not least, how about the issues after market companies have encountered when trying to extract decent power out of those POS motors? there is only one company that i can think of that has gotten impressive power out of it EIP Tuning, everyone else has trouble getting past the bad motor design, weak transmissions and crap engine management.
don't get me wrong, VW did a lot of good things with that car, it is a pretty good buy and is fairly reliable, and is pretty light for having a 6 cylinder, but it is far from perfect, and the above are some reasons why, just to let you know. sorry to burst your bubble and knock you down off of your high horse, but the IS is superior to any volkswagen model with a Vr6 in it.
sadly enough, i bet i know more about your car then you do, and by the way, what constitutes a "QuikVr6" what are you running, mid 14's ?
DON'T BE JEALOUS, BE HAPPY FOR THE PEOPLE THAT CAN AFFORD IT AND WERE/ARE SMART ENOUGH TO BUY IT.

Originally posted by QuikVR6:
Corolla...Civic...IS300...aaah hell it's all the same thing. HAR HAR HAR. Performance wise a Corolla sport with VVT-i just might hold it's own against an IS300. Rejoice Toyota Corolla owners!! Your vehicle isn't to far off!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
IS300GTE: First off learn the car correctly its a DOHC. That SOHC is that 1.6 civic you drive I am sure with the IS300 tail lights, and yes the trannys do suck, yay you get one point. EIP is actually one of the worse companies to get great results for VW's, they only pertain great outputs from there own personal VW's not the publics, on the other hand Z-engineering, AMS, Schrick, Velocity sport tuning, have aquired sweet results from there turbos and supercharger setups and naturally aspirated setups. Sorry to see you waste a paragraph of nonsense.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh btw IS300: Whats the point of that 215hp when its on an automatic? And ever heard of power to weight ratio? Yeah the IS300 carries more dead weight adding on to making it a less performaing "sports" car.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
IS300GTE: First off learn the car correctly its a DOHC. That SOHC is that 1.6 civic you drive I am sure with the IS300 tail lights, and yes the trannys do suck, yay you get one point. EIP is actually one of the worse companies to get great results for VW's, they only pertain great outputs from there own personal VW's not the publics, on the other hand Z-engineering, AMS, Schrick, Velocity sport tuning, have aquired sweet results from there turbos and supercharger setups and naturally aspirated setups. Sorry to see you waste a paragraph of nonsense.

Oh btw IS300: Whats the point of that 215hp when its on an automatic? And ever heard of power to weight ratio? Yeah the IS300 carries more dead weight adding on to making it a less performaing "sports" car.

[WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE!!!], it is SOHC, why don't you do some research on the car. DOHC is a seperate cam for intake valves and a seperate cam for exhaust valves, which the VR6 DOES NOT have.
as for EIP, i was reffering to hp, not handling, i think that was pretty clear for anyone of decent intelligence, and they have customer cars that have put down over 600 fwhp, i haven't seen any other vr6 performance company do that, have you?
in case you are illiterate, i was high lighting the fact that the vr6 had a light curb weight, that was a plus, a good thing that volkswagen did. and the IS is not a "sports car" jackass, it is a coupe, a 4 door coupe at that.
please talk about something you know, instead of putting your head in your ass or your foot in your mouth, like you have done here. it figures as much though, i wouldn't expect anything less from a honda owner.

oh, and as for me driving a civic, if you only knew how moronic you are, i am completely at the other end of the spectrum on that.

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited November 01, 2000).]

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
gotchya, i figured that there wasn't any truth to it.

TEG - sorry about that, it just really pisses me off when people tell me that i am wrong when i KNOW i am right, and that they are just blowing smoke out of their butt about something they don't know much about, except for maybe what they have heard from another bone-smoker or read on some nobody's website. once again, sorry TEG, i'll try to tone it down

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
IS300GTE said:
you must be quite pissed that you can't afford an IS , because you try to bash it every chance that you get.
how about we talk about vr6's? they have a motor with a SOHC (even though it is a v motor, the fact that the intake and exhaust cam lobes are on the same cam for each bank of cylinders makes it SOHC) then there is the fact that it is a 12 valve motor, 2 valves per cylinder, if that isn't old school and pathetic, then what is. the stock bottom end also can't support more than 375 hp to the wheels, while the toyota bottom end can support well over that. then there is the fact that it only has 174 hp, compared to the IS which has 215, but that you can probably chalk up to the ****ty motor design.
next lets talk about the weak transaxle and cv joints, that break, honda civics have stronger transmissions and axles than that car.
or we could point out another ****ty design in the motor, it is an interference motor (valve bender) . i am sure that honda and mitsu owners can relate to the headache from that.
last but not least, how about the issues after market companies have encountered when trying to extract decent power out of those POS motors? there is only one company that i can think of that has gotten impressive power out of it EIP Tuning, everyone else has trouble getting past the bad motor design, weak transmissions and crap engine management.
don't get me wrong, VW did a lot of good things with that car, it is a pretty good buy and is fairly reliable, and is pretty light for having a 6 cylinder, but it is far from perfect, and the above are some reasons why, just to let you know. sorry to burst your bubble and knock you down off of your high horse, but the IS is superior to any volkswagen model with a Vr6 in it.
sadly enough, i bet i know more about your car then you do, and by the way, what constitutes a "QuikVr6" what are you running, mid 14's ?
DON'T BE JEALOUS, BE HAPPY FOR THE PEOPLE THAT CAN AFFORD IT AND WERE/ARE SMART ENOUGH TO BUY IT.<P>
Originally posted by QuikVR6:
<P>

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: QuikVr6 was just bashing lightly, and u come up with all this

QuikVr6 & GSRsobe....

·
Registered
703 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about, the front ends are similar. Kinda annoying tho. :whine:

sloop said:

·
Registered
108 Posts
It has definitely been a taboo subject on these boards, but there is a similarity between the Corolla and IS300. Those who have asked me "is the IS300 just a flossed up Corolla?" I just answer with a shrug and a smile. Doesn't really bother me at all, cuz I know what I bought. But the approximate size, general shape, color coded door handles, etc, draws comparisons.

On a side note, I knew a guy who bought a used GS300, and had the temerity to ask me "why did you pay so much for a Corolla?" Almost pained me to ask him why he half-assed it for a car that has the same engine as mine...almost. :lol:

·
Registered
847 Posts
i haven't really noticed that the corolla looks like the IS...everytime I see one of those, it reminds me of the Camry....I don't think it looks like our car in any way...front end is different....It's a mini-Camry....

·
Registered
533 Posts
what is wrong with corolla anyways? it looks pretty good for a econo car, lot better than civic/focus/sentra etc.

may be the resemblance is because THEY ARE MADE BY THE SAME COMPANY (lexus/toyota)

But i do hate to admit, corolla's interior is lot better than ours...better material/looks

·
Registered
882 Posts
am i the only one that thinks that both cars look nothing alike?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts