Lexus IS Forum banner

IS300 vs. CL Type S

2K views 58 replies 14 participants last post by  geoff 
#1 ·
I was just so tired of reading Geoff's post about how fast and wonderful his car and how he really wished he could race an IS 300, so I did just that.

My brother who is in the car biz and knows just about everyone at every dealership, posed as he was interested in the CL Type S.

I was up the street in my IS300. Due to the fact he knew the GM at the dealership, he was able to take a CL TYPE S out on test alone. He met me up the street and we proceeded to get to busniess. We took the cars about 2 miles from the dealership where there is a dog track not in season, full huge empty parking lot. The fun began.

We were side by side at one end of the parking lot. The other end exits into the road leading back out to the main throughway, empty as hell in the off season. My wife got out of the car and stood in front with her arms up. One two three down wen the arms and off we went.

The CL TYPE S jumped out about 1/2 car lenght. The IS 300 kept up pretty good and took over the CL TYPE S at about 75 MPH. By 90 MPH we had exited the parking lot, I was on the wrong side of the road and just almost ahead of my bro in the CL TYPE S. When we got to 100 I let up as we were getting close to the main road ahead.

There story over. CL TYPE s got it early one but IS 300 made it up quick and eventually won the overall battle.

Good night!

See less See more
#32 ·
Originally posted by ISFAN:
Wow, who are the ones now crying. Ya know Geoff you are so sensative when anyone jumps on you and now what humm the table is turned a little.

I have two answers for you CL Type S owners. First of the numbers you are citing are from professional magazines that are here to sell advertising and of course magazines. They are far from the average shmoes like you and me driving to our hum drum jobs and just moving through life in normal mode.

If the truth hurts so much go back to your CL forum on Honda-Acura and boast your car there.

I have no problem with you talking about your car here, but Geoff every chance you get you bash the sh*t out of an IS owner, and blow your a$$ off. You attitude sucks. No I do not know you but believe me, from the way you act in this forum, I have no desire to know you.

The fact you are throwing up " REAL MONEY " Bets confirms your insecurity of your decision.

No my brother does not weigh 300 lbs more then me, in fact we both weigh the same. I have no idea what he did in his car, just like you have no idea what the other schmuck next you is doing in his cl type s or any other car when you race.

Yeah the light turns green you slam on your CL TYPE S and blow the other car away, when in reality he probably was just toying with you and never really pressed the gas full throttle, so go back into your unrealistic world and pretend you can beat everyone with your wonderful baby of a car.

Bottom line is you did not buy the car to beat anyone in any race. You bought the car because you felt it was the best for the money you wanted to spend, just like I bought my IS 300.

So get off your high horse and just have fun with the people who are in this yes this IS300 forum. Don't get upset because we defend our car. If were to go post in Honda-Acura "My IS300 got you sucker beat" I am sure I would see a lot of defending going on.

Bottom line Geoff and the other CL TYPE S, you acted exactly the same as the IS300 lovers, when your little baby was challenged. So shut the FU*K up.
who's crying? you seem to adamant about your story...my god man, look at your tone. i'm not whining at all, simply because i know that what you're saying isn't true.

if it IS true, i will race any stock is300 here. name it. i offered money simply to make the travel (and there will most likely be some) worthwhile. i'm a curious as u are. i am still waiting for someone to come forward with his car and whatever wager is suitable.

second, don't be stupid. car magazines do not publish erroneous times to "sell magazines," and with automatics, my friend, there is little to screw up during an acceleration run. sportshift (or eshift) is equally uncomplicated. no pro drivers necessary.

third, if my posts bother you, then simply don't read them. i'm sitting here trying to make this concept easier for you, but i really don't know how.

fourth, all the "stories" i've told in here have been true -- the black is3 racing a mustang cobra, the white bimmer getting dented, etc. i make nothing up, unlike some of us who create circumstance to vindicate some sense of frustration over another's previous posts. yes, i mess with u ppl sometimes, but not by making up something that didn't happen.

fifth, i never said i can beat everyone in my "wonderful baby of a car" -- i just said it will beat the is300. jesus man, again, listen to your tone: like a child thinking he figured out something that remains way above his head. my cl-s will have its ass handed to it by many many many cars out there. duh. i didn't buy it for pure performance, i bought it because it blends luxury and performance better than anything else i drove.

sixth, i'm not on any high horse, and if you came to an acura forum and bashed the car, go right ahead. if you came in and said u will beat our car in a race, well, we all know that's not true and we'd defend i

#34 ·
I will say it one more time. The story is true, take it for what is worth.

Don't worry Geoff your CLs is still nice.

Have a great day. I believe anyone who reads this posts along with all your others will see you for the two faced putz you are.

Have a great night.

#35 ·
I will say it one more time. The story is true, take it for what is worth.

Don't worry Geoff your CLs is still nice.

Have a great day. I believe anyone who reads this posts along with all your others will see you for the two faced putz you are.

Have a great night.
*sigh*

show me where i whined. show me.

i'll wait.

btw, i don't see any is300 owners coming forward to race.

good god man

#37 ·

now I'm glad I didn't buy an IS... you guys are pathetic!

fact is. by EVERY number the CL Type-S will outpace an IS300 every step of the way.

as for styling... I think the IS300 looks good.. as do I think my CL looks good. but the reality is, both of our cars look very much like their relatives... CL looks a bit like an Accord... the IS3 is a dead ringer for the new corolla and some would say it even looks a bit like an Echo. And thats not mentioning the Civic... which the IS may as well be a replica... stick some PIAA's & Altezza tails in a Civic and what do you get? yea.

Either way, like I said, there is absolutely no physical way for a STOCK IS300 to beat a stock CL Type-S. It just cant be argued... and I'd be happy to prove it if one of the locals would step up to a friendly race...

One other thing... I just checked out some of the hot topics in this forum... look at how many of you complain about the slow ass times of the IS!!! Have you ever seen a CL Type-S owner complain about their times? No.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red w/ Nav.

#38 ·
Originally posted by soopa:

now I'm glad I didn't buy an IS... you guys are pathetic!
What makes them pathetic? Is it because they defend their car? Complain about stuff wrong with their car? Boast about their car? Take a look at h/a.net and you will see the exact same thing. In fact, look in the S2000 one. You will see a lot of the same thing. No wonder I stay away from that forum.

fact is. by EVERY number the CL Type-S will outpace an IS300 every step of the way.
Heck, I don't mind that the CL-S will beat the IS300. A lot of cars will. In fact, it's one reason why I may not get it and go for the S4. But, being older and hopefully wiser, I don't really care if I'm slower than some cars. If I want to go fast, I can always take out the S2000.

as for styling... I think the IS300 looks good.. as do I think my CL looks good. but the reality is, both of our cars look very much like their relatives... CL looks a bit like an Accord... the IS3 is a dead ringer for the new corolla and some would say it even looks a bit like an Echo. And thats not mentioning the Civic... which the IS may as well be a replica... stick some PIAA's & Altezza tails in a Civic and what do you get? yea.
True. I cringe and laugh at those cars with the knock-off taillights.

Either way, like I said, there is absolutely no physical way for a STOCK IS300 to beat a stock CL Type-S. It just cant be argued... and I'd be happy to prove it if one of the locals would step up to a friendly race...
Fine.

One other thing... I just checked out some of the hot topics in this forum... look at how many of you complain about the slow ass times of the IS!!! Have you ever seen a CL Type-S owner complain about their times? No.
No, but they complain about other things and so do everyone other car owner. (eg. the S2000 1-2nd gear grind.)

#40 ·
i've noticed that a few IS owners think that the IS is speed oriented adn taht its fast in a manner taht it'll whoop up on lots of cars on the road. sure it may feel fast, but also remember that a v6 camry goes faster in a straight line. this topic has been killed so many times its not funny anymore.

#41 ·
Originally posted by viggen:
ISFAN - I just went to honda-acura.net and I noticed that Geoff posted a thread about your race with a CL-S. Everyone there thinks you're a lunatic. They also think IS owners all have inferiority complexes about their cars.
I believe that this thread has proven that the owners of the CL S are the ones with the complex. They have to all come over here and read and post bull because this is the best forum on the net!!!!!

This thread has also proven that IS owners are not the only ones who love their cars and will defend them to the end. I was just upset with GEOFF's comments about how IS ownwers are snobs and can not take negative comments about our cars. I think I have shown we all have our love for the types of vehicles we have chosen and will be loyal til the end.

#42 ·
Originally posted by mrclam:
i've noticed that a few IS owners think that the IS is speed oriented adn taht its fast in a manner taht it'll whoop up on lots of cars on the road. sure it may feel fast, but also remember that a v6 camry goes faster in a straight line. this topic has been killed so many times its not funny anymore.
Clam I would think that you would agree with me that I am one of the first to admit that the IS300 is not a sports car. I believe my posts have indicated that speed is not eveything one should look at in a "sport sedan" and that was not my issue when I bought the car.

#44 ·
okay, people on this board who think this is a performance sedan:
an AUTO performance sedan that handles decently(on par with a type r on the skidpad), has great braking, but not a whole lot of straight line power.......okay. sure. this car is in no way a slouch, but neither is it oriented to all out dragging or racing. what are you going to do with its handling in an AT? i know the MT is coming next year but right now all you have is an AT so what do you have to say about that? this is a luxury sports sedan, and i don't know why some people shoot their mouths off, MY IS BEAT A CL-S....

#45 ·
Originally posted by mrclam:
okay, people on this board who think this is a performance sedan:
an AUTO performance sedan that handles decently(on par with a type r on the skidpad), has great braking, but not a whole lot of straight line power.......okay. sure. this car is in no way a slouch, but neither is it oriented to all out dragging or racing. what are you going to do with its handling in an AT? i know the MT is coming next year but right now all you have is an AT so what do you have to say about that? this is a luxury sports sedan, and i don't know why some people shoot their mouths off, MY IS BEAT A CL-S....

I will explain again to everyone in this forum, the number one reason I posted this thread was the following:

Geoff has been very busy busting hard on the IS300 owners on how sensative we are and that we can not take any imperfection in our cars and how snobby we are and babys.

I posted this to prove one thing. When needed he too will defend his baby of a car and speak highly of it when attacked. That is all bottom line.

Frankly I could give a rats azz if the CL TYPE S can beat the IS300. I did not buy the IS 300 because of speed or in your opinion lack there of. I bought the IS300 because of its appeal to me (yes that is right to me) just like you bought your M3, because of its appeal to you.

I wanted to show that GEOFF and ever other CL owner out there is just like us IS300 owners. In love with our cars and loyal as well.

I posted a response similar in the acura forum. I invited all of them to come in here and archive GEOFF's threads and see him for the two faced he is. Then maybe they will realize who really is the snob baby AZZ.

#48 ·
woh people.. calm down
I mean.. it doesn't really matter which car is faster.. who cares.. there's speed limit anyways.. but IS300 is cool looking, comfortable, and well built. So lets just enjoy it!

I like acura too, so why don't we just be friends.. they are both japanese cars after all.

#50 ·
stop it kids. They are both very nice cars. The CL has more power and comes at a very attractive price. The IS is also a nice car. I personally wish that honda would be a lil more aggressive with there styling. I think it looks somewhat of a melted candybar version of the accord coupe, although you must respect its 260hp.

I must admit that i didn't like the IS when it first came out, either. I thought it looked like a $30,000 civic 4 door (this is before people started putting IS lights on them). But it has really grown on me.

My thought is that they are both very nice cars and when I upgrade(when my car dies, 180k going problem free) both of these cars will be in my thoughts. I drive an '88 prelude(excellent shape) and can't believe that you are bickering over something so petty. I would be glad to be driving either car.

#51 ·

I posted this to prove one thing. When needed he too will defend his baby of a car and speak highly of it when attacked.

isfan u just don't get it, do u?

i ragged the is300 on FACTS...that the cl was faster. big deal. i never posted bs about my car or yours.

u, on the other hand, posted 100% bs, so of course there will be some defending.

if u can't see the difference something's wrong with u

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.