Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, both cars weigh barely over 3200 lbs, the IS300 has 215hp, the 330i 225, why is the 330i so much faster?

I've always wondered about BMW hp. Are alll of their cars underrated or something?

The 328 was even worse. With only 190hp, it was still running a 15.1 1/4 mile time. What the heck?

Or does BMW gear a whole lot closer than everyone else?

I know my fathers Z3 3.0 has ridiculously close gearing, so I'm wondering if the 3 series is the same way.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
silverTA2002 said:
Ok, both cars weigh barely over 3200 lbs, the IS300 has 215hp, the 330i 225, why is the 330i so much faster?

I've always wondered about BMW hp. Are alll of their cars underrated or something?

The 328 was even worse. With only 190hp, it was still running a 15.1 1/4 mile time. What the heck?

I know my fathers Z3 3.0 has ridiculously close gearing, so I'm wondering if the 3 series is the same way.
those 1/4 times for those bimmers are for the manual ones...not autos

we all know that with experianced drivers, can pull out high 14 sec 1/4 passes with minor bolt on mods on the 5speed IS's....

·
Registered
88 Posts
silverTA2002 said:

why 330ci is faster than IS300? there is two possible reasons:

1) BMW 330ci hp is underrated.

2) BMW has better mechanic. Ave. cars lose about 15% of hp through drivetrain. If 330ci hp is not underrated, then 330ci loses only 5% of hp according to the dyno chart I saw on the Internet.

I personally think #2 is the answer. BMW has better technology in mechanics than Lexus, but Lexus has much much better technology in electronics.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
whiteISmine said:
silverTA2002 said:

why 330ci is faster than IS300? there is two possible reasons:

1) BMW 330ci hp is underrated.

2) BMW has better mechanic. Ave. cars lose about 15% of hp through drivetrain. If 330ci hp is not underrated, then 330ci loses only 5% of hp according to the dyno chart I saw on the Internet.

I personally think #2 is the answer. BMW has better technology in mechanics than Lexus, but Lexus has much much better technology in electronics.
You honestly believe it's more likely that BMW has a 5% loss wonder driveline than they under rate their hp claims? You're a fool.

-Justin

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
BMWs are often underrated in HP, and they have very efficient drivetrains - plus the IS is a bit slow for its power to weight ratio. But if you race the two cars from 60 mph, they are not that different - only the 0-60 has a big difference (6.6 sec vs 5.9 sec for the manuals).

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's called gearing. Look how fast you can go in 2nd in both cars. BMW seems to do this with all their cars to skew the numbers. It's more for people who look up 0-60 when they decide what car to buy.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
uhh, rusty - if the BMW can go faster in 2nd gear, it means the gearing is taller, which makes it more efficient, not quicker. The IS300 has shorter gearing and is still slower, what's that tell you?

rusty97 said:
It's called gearing. Look how fast you can go in 2nd in both cars. BMW seems to do this with all their cars to skew the numbers. It's more for people who look up 0-60 when they decide what car to buy.

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
miguelfig said:
bmw horse power is greater than most car. bmws car get alot of hp out of their cars, thats why.
Please move to wherever this ^^ sentence makes sense and stay there.

-Justin

·
Registered
511 Posts
ckolsen said:
uhh, rusty - if the BMW can go faster in 2nd gear, it means the gearing is taller, which makes it more efficient, not quicker. The IS300 has shorter gearing and is still slower, what's that tell you?

rusty97 said:
It takes the fastest human 0.3 - 0.5 seconds to shift. That's the fastest not the average (sorry I don't have a link to that your just gonna have to take my word). That's why stuff like SMG is popular in F1 (if humans were faster why would they bother right?). One more shift for an IS300 causes that much longer for a 0-60 time. The difference is gearing is mute compared to the shift lag.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
ckolsen said:

rusty97 said:
we've had this discussion before... The IS cant hit 60 in second. it hits 59... while this is close enough for the butt dyno guys in the forum, car mags actually use test equipment that requires a true 60... hence the extra shift, hence the "bad" 0-60 times...

even though I have raced several 330's and have never lost by more than a hood

·
Registered
44,398 Posts
rusty97 said:
The difference is gearing is mute compared to the shift lag.
Actually, just about every difference between the two cars is mute. Except, perhaps, the stereos if both were tuned to talk radio sations.

-Justin

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
The reason the IS300 has short gearing, requiring a 2nd shift before 60, is that Lexus wanted the car to feel quicker - BMW's engine is more powerful, allowing them to use taller gearing - not for the sake of 0-60 times, but for better gas mileage, and a more relaxed nature.
The IS300's 1/4 mile time is also a bit slow. I can't believe we're debating about whether the IS is underpowered for its class - I thought that was accepted fact?

rusty97 said:
It takes the fastest human 0.3 - 0.5 seconds to shift. That's the fastest not the average (sorry I don't have a link to that your just gonna have to take my word). That's why stuff like SMG is popular in F1 (if humans were faster why would they bother right?). One more shift for an IS300 causes that much longer for a 0-60 time. The difference is gearing is mute compared to the shift lag.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ckolsen said:
The reason the IS300 has short gearing, requiring a 2nd shift before 60, is that Lexus wanted the car to feel quicker - BMW's engine is more powerful, allowing them to use taller gearing - not for the sake of 0-60 times, but for better gas mileage, and a more relaxed nature.
The IS300's 1/4 mile time is also a bit slow.
That is true. The BMW's engine is more powerful than the lexus. Better technology.

·
Registered
975 Posts
silverTA2002 said:

It's true, BMW uses different horsepowers:

BMW - uses HORSE power
Everyone Else - uses seaHorses power

But my old Pontiac didn't even use horsepower. It used power from little mice running inside each one of my tires. I fueld it with not gasoline, but cheese wiz. It had 4 Mice Powers (at the wheel). But they were different MICE POWER than the other GM cars, because they were BIGGER, STRONGER, and FASTER. In otherword, they were underated.
The taller gears made a difference too, or rather, the taller the steps (in the wheel) that the mice had to climb. In some cars, smaller steps (gears) were used. This made it more of a relaxed feel for the mice. Taller steps (gears) just made the car feel like it was going faster.

- that's what I think about this dispute: silly.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Germans use DIN horspower ratings. They're a little bigger than SAE horses.

Also some deflate HP for insuance and other purposes. My Firebird was rated at 270, but it was more like 300.

·
Registered
511 Posts
ckolsen said:
The IS300's 1/4 mile time is also a bit slow. I can't believe we're debating about whether the IS is underpowered for its class - I thought that was accepted fact?

rusty97 said:
You really believe that don't you? :-?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts