Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E-Shift, Built NA-T, Standalone
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is just a starter page for my newest side project, the ultimate 2JZ-GE valve covers, or at leas the best I could do. So far I've shaved off some of the stock wiring holes and plan to get them welded shut to have the cleanest look possible.

FYI: The 2JZ VVTi valve covers are cast aluminum.

Vibrant Part #'s
Catch Can: 12695
10 AN 90* Fittings: 21990
10 AN 90* Banjo 10 ORB: 24430
10ft. 10 AN Line: 11970

Cannon Wood Gas Automotive tire Composite material
Automotive tire Wood Gas Tree Asphalt

You can see on the left side I tried to shave it the best I could with pretty good results, I'm going to sand it so they can get powdercoated and be undetectable. I drilled out the baffles and tapped them with m6 - 1.0, as per the Grannas Racing video on YT. I also drilled and tapped the PCV's 13/16's and tapped with a -10 ORB thread AKA 7/8 - 14.

Also, are those AN fittings stupid? Should I return them and go with these like I originally planned? vvvvv

I originally planned to put these on the valve covers, but the catch can is 8" tall, and the 90* AN fittings maybe sit another 1.5 - 2 in taller, these are a lot more low profile. So should I return the other tall ones and get 2 more of these for the valve covers? Or should I keep them because the lines would be more parallel running from the engine to the can?

I plan on doing a satin black powder coat to give it an OEM feel while also matching the VVT-i garnish, which I tried to do with paint, but the paint got very gross over time, here's how it looked painted freshly:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Rim

And to conclude this post for now, I also plan on studding the valve covers instead of using the bolts because I have snapped off more bolts than I can count, here's how that should look:

Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Toolroom Machine tool

Let me know your thoughts. I can answer any questions if you plan to do somethings similar.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just my opinion, but i'm not a fan of the tall 90° hose-end fittings you've got sticking up out of the valve covers. Looks goofy to me. The banjo fittings you've got on the can would look much neater, I think. I've never seen banjos like that,, who makes those?

I'm planning to add a catch can soon, also - and was scheming on the fittings coming off the tall rear portion of the covers. That'll also make room for the ign1a coil arrangement that'll sit atop the covers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just my opinion, but i'm not a fan of the tall 90° hose-end fittings you've got sticking up out of the valve covers. Looks goofy to me. The banjo fittings you've got on the can would look much neater, I think.

I'm planning to add a catch can soon, also - and was scheming on the fittings coming off the tall rear portion of the covers. That'll also make room for the ign1a coil arrangement that'll sit atop the covers.
I'm not a fan either, but I already have them, but the banjo fittings do look so much better. I'll put the part #'s in the original post.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Update on the valve covers, I finally got them powder coated satin black, here's how they turned out. I also threw in my Cusco strut bar mounts because I am terrible at painting.

Gas Auto part Bumper Font Automotive tire
Automotive exterior Automotive tire Auto part Automotive wheel system Machine

You can already see that the color is off, but I think it'll be fine once the plastic gets the old oil polish, also the weld on the screw holes wasn't the best and you can see pinholes where it used to be. What can you do.

Netbook Rectangle Gadget Audio equipment Multimedia
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Office supplies Metal

Also got two more banjo style fittings for the valve covers, I figured that I want this to be the be-all end-all setup for my car.

Bumper Automotive exterior Machine Wood Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally got around to swapping out my old covers for these a few days ago.

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Grille

I also tucked some of my homemade standalone harness behind the head and through the heater core lines. Up next is definitely to move the ABS unit next to the catch can, as was part of the plan from the start. I also managed to use a stock hole to mount the catch can, too bad I can only use one hole at the moment because it's in such an awkward spot, but I clears the hood well so I cannot complain.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive air manifold

I have to get rid of that stupid CXRacing filter, once I move the ABS (and tuck the wires on that side) I'll finally get my new GReddy Airinx filter on and I'll cut down and polish the intake pipe, yes I know the blue tape over that hole is heinous.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you running the full CX kit including the turbo? I too planned on retaining the Lexus engine cover. Did you have to trim it at all?

Also, are you not running a BOV?
I was but I now have a comp turbo and a treadstone intercooler. Nothing wrong with the cxracing turbo, but the intercooler was too restrictive. No trimming necessary for the engine cover.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,944 Posts
I was but I now have a comp turbo and a treadstone intercooler. Nothing wrong with the cxracing turbo, but the intercooler was too restrictive. No trimming necessary for the engine cover.
Did you have to trim the bumper to get the tread stone unit in? Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you have to trim the bumper to get the tread stone unit in? Thanks for the information.
I didn't but I probably should have because my bumper tabs have split because I had to stretch the bumper over it, this would be resolved by pushing the intercooler back about a half inch or by trimming. It's also a tr1035 I believe so 10" tall 3.5" deep, 3" in/out. I believe 33" wide or so. It flows so much better than the cxracing one. I bet anything flows better than the cxracing one tbh.

Looks nice!

I also like using pre-existing stock mounting/bolt holes whenever practical. However, when not possible, rivet nuts (rivnuts) are super effective and usually convenient.
Yeah it was cool seeing that I could fit it there, I may try doing a rivnut if I could fit it in that spot so there's less chance of it coming loose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts