Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

This is my first time posting in this forum, but I know that this comparison is done many times before, but I've brought some new info to the table.

We're in the market for a performance 4-door vehicle that is in the 32k range, but we want some passenger amenities. Looking at one of the recent Car and Drivers, BMW is the best performance machine, but we're not looking for a vinyl, 'cruiseless' car.

I know the automatic issue is a big thing. But in September the IS300 will have a 5-speed stick. But we need a car in April. The loaded IS300s in Texas are going for 2-2.5k off the MSRP (35k), because of overstocking. 325i's are great at 34k, but we can't seem to get luxury, and sport package for under that mark. The new 5-speed stick Lexi, won't go for 2-2.5k under MSRP here in Austin - Houston, unless we are seriously haggling.

What to do? Get a stripped Bimmer and enjoy the 'driving experience', or stick with the loaded IS300 for a better value, but lose that Munich handling? Or am I giving too much credit to 325? I quote Car and Driver: the 'stick stirs cream, and the clutch hags like velvet." Can Lexus claim this in April or September? Is their another car to solve this?

One more note, we have been in the Lexus family for nine years, should this play into account?

I dunno, I'm frustrated, please help!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Alot of people seem to be switching to the Lexus from BMW because of repair cost. Lexus does offer a great warranty but it is up to you. I am planing to purchase an IS300 next weekend and I am only paying 31.8 for fully loaded with LSD out of Dallas. You should check around, both San Antonio and Dallas were willing to give me a better deal than Austin. I think the IS is more rare than the 325, and I like the body style over the BMW.
You should go with what you prefer, but the IS are NICE!

[This message has been edited by VVTIS (edited February 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What dealership is that, does that mean the full luxury package? Parkplace Lexus? or Sewell? or other?

Originally posted by VVTIS:
Alot of people seem to be switching to the Lexus from BMW because of repair cost. Lexus does offer a great warranty but it is up to you. I am planing to purchase an IS300 next weekend and I am only paying 31.8 for fully loaded with LSD out of Dallas. You should check around, both San Antonio and Dallas were willing to give me a better deal than Austin. I think the IS is more rare than the 325, and I like the body style over the BMW.
You should go with what you prefer, but the IS are NICE!

[This message has been edited by VVTIS (edited February 18, 2001).]

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
What's the new info you are bringing to the table..

the rock says

do a search if you can't bring anything new to the table..

[This message has been edited by Pimpee (edited February 18, 2001).]

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
There is nothing lost in handling by choosing the IS. It is a fantastic handling car. If not, I (and others) wouldn't be autocrossing it this year.

------------------
Tony
'01 Stock Spectra Blue
'94 12psi Turbo Miata

·
Registered
759 Posts
You get all the comforts of the 325i included with your IS. The car handles great, and I've seen other mags that says it handles as good, if not better than the BMW with the sports package. Plus the reliability is unquestionable. Plus if you are a repeat buyer I think they wave the bank fee.

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300 (Solar Yellow)
Being installed as we speak:Cast iron turbo exahust manifold, 3 in downpipe, Spearco front mount intercooler, Garret TO4E turbocharger with V-band, air intake charger pipe and air filter, turbo charger heat shield, steelbraided oil feed line and oil return lines, HKS super-sequential blow-off valve, Turbonetics racegate wastegate, 550cc injectors, MSD DIS 4 digital ignition, Haltech E6K engine managment system, Haltech S3 sensor, Terminated wiring harness, Toyomoto crank trigger wheel and hub assembly, powdercoated pipes, power steering cooling lines, thermal heat resistant wire loom...and then there's the outside!

**SOLD** 98 Accord EX V6 coupe
AEM Intake, Comptech Headers, Random Tech high-flow cat, GReddy dual MX exhaust, BLTI Carbon Fiber Ignition cables, eibach springs, Axis wheels with Nittos, Wings West Spoiler.
15.1 @ 92 mph

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I traded in my 2000 328i for a IS300 a month ago and I will stick with the IS. I think it does drive better and the motor and drivetrain is smoother
Mike

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite
2001 Type S White
2000 328i SOLD!!!

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I went with Park Place lexus. I emailed them to see the how their prices compared, they first offered it to me for 32,400 no negotiation, after nego. they gave me a better price. Yes this is the full luxury package with LSD...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
There is no dilemma. It basically boils down to style preference. The IS300 has a lot going for it. It compares better to the BMW 330i, not the 325i (auto). If you want performance, wait for the 2002 IS300 manual. It will sport a manual tranny, stiffer suspension, 18" wheels, and a spoiler. I've already placed an order for a red/black car. I owned a 2001 IS300, and absolutely loved the car...but I really wanted a manual, so I sold it just in time (didn't want to lose any more on depreciation).
Go for the IS300!!!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Balakris, I recently went through the same dilemma, except it was between the IS and the 325ci. Both are great cars and have their pros and cons so like others have said, it really depends on your situation. For me, I went with the bimmer because I don't really need a four door yet and I thought the handling was a little better. From what you said in your post though, I'd definately go for the IS. Its faster (comparing with auto of course), more reliable, and Lexus service is always nice. The IS is a very fun car to drive as well so you get a great driving experience as well. Plus you'll get the in dash 6 disc CD player and an awesome sound system (BMW is horrible, even with the Harmon Kardon).You don't want a stripped down bimmer...not too fun.

·
Registered
727 Posts
This is a IS300 forum so you will get a biased opinion. Same thing if you go to a Bimmer forum. The best thing to do is go get a test drive and make up your own mind. Sorry if I sound curt.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I just want to compliment you on an excellent, unbiased post!

Originally posted by 3Double0:
Balakris, I recently went through the same dilemma, except it was between the IS and the 325ci. Both are great cars and have their pros and cons so like others have said, it really depends on your situation. For me, I went with the bimmer because I don't really need a four door yet and I thought the handling was a little better. From what you said in your post though, I'd definately go for the IS. Its faster (comparing with auto of course), more reliable, and Lexus service is always nice. The IS is a very fun car to drive as well so you get a great driving experience as well. Plus you'll get the in dash 6 disc CD player and an awesome sound system (BMW is horrible, even with the Harmon Kardon).You don't want a stripped down bimmer...not too fun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's probably the best advice so far...

-Alt

------------------
Ashraf Shabudin / Ampman Audio Marketing Director, TeamAMP Director

1 - 13 of 13 Posts