Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some help i have a lexus is300 01 and want to know what does a tune up consists of besides changing the spark plugs

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Change your oil/filter, drain all fluids:Radiator, Trans, coolant then refilling, clean MAF sensor, replace air filter, check tire pressures....and I think that is about it....others could chime in if I missed something. G/L and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
it also depends on the mileage, as each service differs....

if you are up to 60+k miles, you are due for a timing belt/water pump change as well due to the age of the car.

feel free to PM me your vin#, and I can do a national lexus database search on your cars previous service history..

thanks, Marc

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
How many miles do you have?

Check the FAQ or your owner's manual for the service intervals.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
I have a 01 IS300 at about 130k. Wanting to know what consists of a tune up. Thanks.
By now you should have had all below replaced
(90K interval)
Timing belt
Water pump
Drive belt/tensioner
Spark plugs
All fluids (transmission, coolant, power steering, differential, engine oil)

A valve lash adjustment can be beneficial, but is not included in the Lexus required maintenance

·
Registered
849 Posts
Hmmm this is useful. About to do a tune up this week before I go to San Francisco. Does spark plug wires or coils need to be changed too?

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Hmmm this is useful. About to do a tune up this week before I go to San Francisco. Does spark plug wires or coils need to be changed too?
The three coils should be fine to keep, as with the wires, providing they are in good condition. With your milage tho, I would probably replace the plug wiring. A lot of people tend to break the clips that hold the coils/plug wires because they get dry-rotted so you may have to replace them too, depending on how things go. I suggest replacing your plugs with OEM SK16R-P11 iridium Denso's.

·
Registered
849 Posts
The three coils should be fine to keep, as with the wires, providing they are in good condition. With your milage tho, I would probably replace the plug wiring. A lot of people tend to break the clips that hold the coils/plug wires because they get dry-rotted so you may have to replace them too, depending on how things go. I suggest replacing your plugs with OEM SK16R-P11 iridium Denso's.
Cool. Thanks Jason.

·
Registered
344 Posts
By now you should have had all below replaced
(90K interval)
Timing belt
Water pump
Drive belt/tensioner
Spark plugs
All fluids (transmission, coolant, power steering, differential, engine oil)

A valve lash adjustment can be beneficial, but is not included in the Lexus required maintenance

Thanks for that, im just picking up my IS today, i gotta ask the guy if any of that was done.
I know he didn't do the timing belt water pump, but the rest i dont know

Reactions: jasonm4

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Thanks for that, im just picking up my IS today, i gotta ask the guy if any of that was done.
I know he didn't do the timing belt water pump, but the rest i dont know
Excellent way to have the price dropped if they didn't do the 90K service. Also make sure you have at least one master key and one valet key.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Good evening sir, was just checking out all these cool threads and saw yours.I've just yesterday bought a 01 IS 300 with 161000 on it .Its still very tight,was wondering if you could check & see when & if my timing belt was replaced. The car was purchased from 2nd owner 1st owner supposedly worked at Longo Lexus in El Monte, Ca. vin JTHBD182510024030 if possible it would be very much appreciated, I'm very new to Lexus seen but am long time toyota owner thanks if you can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2001 lexus is300 with 180,000 miles
The car is not driving with the same power it is making squiky sounds when I'm driving specially when I'm moving the steering wheel and also it sounds like the muffler has a whole but it doesn't I think its coming from the seal of the catalyst can anyone help????
thanx!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts