Lexus IS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
That turbo is your problem dude. 7875 is a giant turbo. Surely that’s not the standard turbo they ship with their kit?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
That turbo is your problem dude. 7875 is a giant turbo. Surely that’s not the standard turbo they ship with their kit?
Honestly the XS kit has changed a lot over time, so there is no "normal kit". I think I'll wait for the different exhaust manifold and see if that fixes it. If not, retrofit.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,373 Posts
Damn. Not to hate on XS power but that manifold sucks ass. That compressor housing is very close. Also the outlet is very close to the engine bay. If you can’t even clock the turbo good luck getting a coupler on that or at least one that won’t get smashed up when reinstalling the turbo back onto the manifold and just have a permanent dent in it.

Downpipe looks like it will need some finesse. I applaud you on making progress lol. Who am I to talk. Lmao.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Do you mean having one made? The thing that is going to cost money is you buying all three things separately and then bringing it to them to make you a system. It might be cheaper to just buy a cat back system that will already have a resonator and muffler and all that piping done.

All you would need at that point is to buy a high flow cat and have a small section of pipe made from the down pipe to the cat back system. They will just put the cat into that small section.
I'm still mulling what the best deal would be. Really there are two options.

OPTION A) BUY YOUR OWN PIECES
(Greddy Muffler $150)
(Resonator $50)
(High Flow Cat $50)
And then pay the shop to connect the pieces with 3" pipe.

OPTION B) BUY A CATBACK
(Greddy Catback $650)
(High Flow Cat $50)

---

So really we have:
OPTION A) $250 + pipe and labor
vs...
OPTION B) $700 + less pipe and less labor

So the real question comes down to...

"Would the pipe & labor in option A be $450 cheaper than the pipe & labor in option B?"

---

Is it that simple, or are there other things to take into consideration?

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,373 Posts
I'm still mulling what the best deal would be. Really there are two options.

OPTION A) BUY YOUR OWN PIECES
(Greddy Muffler $150)
(Resonator $50)
(High Flow Cat $50)

OPTION B) BUY A CATBACK
(Greddy Catback $650)
(High Flow Cat $50)

---

So really we have:
OPTION A) $250 + pipe and labor
vs...
OPTION B) $700 + less pipe and less labor

So the real question comes down to...

"Would the pipe & labor in option A be $450 cheaper than the pipe & labor in option B?"

---

Is it that simple, or are there other things to take into consideration?
It’s that simple. Looks like option A might be cheaper slightly however the bigger question is can the shop mandrel bend 3” pipe. Most shops can’t.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
It’s that simple. Looks like option A might be cheaper slightly however the bigger question is can the shop mandrel bend 3” pipe. Most shops can’t.
yes i've heard. i'm going to call around and get some quotes and let the quotes make my decision for me :p. First gotta get everything else done though :)

·
Registered
864 Posts
so there is no "normal kit".
Thats like a 1000hp sized turbo though man.
Like i don’t know if a stock GE will spool it. Maybe I’m way off, idk.

I’m convinced that manifold is for a Supra. XS used to have a tig welded steam pipe mani that was IS300 - specific.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Thats like a 1000hp sized turbo though man.
Like i don’t know if a stock GE will spool it. Maybe I’m way off, idk.

I’m convinced that manifold is for a Supra. XS used to have a tig welded steam pipe mani that was IS300 - specific.

Yeah they gave me this...

Instead of this..

--

As far as the turbo size, I really don't know since I don't have much experience with other turbo setups. time will tell!

·
Registered
864 Posts
As far as the turbo size, I really don't know
Well, I’m telling you. It’s a huge turbo.

Cast 78/75 XSP 7875 Turbo LS/LS1/L33 4.8/5.3/5.7/6.0 - 800HP Rated

Exducer: 75mm
Inducer: 82mm Turbine Wheel
Compressor: 78mm
Exducer 102mm

All that’s ^ from their eBay ad for the turbo. I’m sure it flows a ton of cfm at low boost but will a stock GE spool it? Folks use turbos even bigger on 3L but they usually have high compression pistons and E85 to spool it. Looks like they’re marketing the 7875 to the Chevy LS crowd in their eBay ad. I think I’d contact them about the turbo being correct and also the manifold. That tig steampipe mani probably cost twice as much as the one they sent you. Make them do you right dude.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
It's an absolute headache to deal with them. At this point, I just want the nicer manifold. I can live with the turbo. and if i can't, i'll swap it out.

What would be the negative effects of a big turbo? low boost under low rpm and a lot of turbo lag?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Is that kit made for a GTE or a GE when you bought it and is it made for the IS300? The engine bay of the IS300 is a lot smaller than a GS300 or Supra making "general" 2jz-ge kits not a direct fit to the IS300 without lots of modifications to the kit. Lastly, Kris is right, that turbo is huge low boost applications. You might not even get any boost until 5k RPM which makes your powerband very small. If you are going for low boost with a usually powerband, I would go with a 5858 with a .64AR or something in that range. You should start spooling at around 2k RPM and full boost around 4-5k giving a way better powerband. One last thing I noticed about your picture is that your downpipe will not fit with the ABS lines right there. You'll need to shorten them and run along the firewall giving you more room or buy a flared ABS relocation kit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Is that kit made for a GTE or a GE when you bought it and is it made for the IS300? The engine bay of the IS300 is a lot smaller than a GS300 or Supra making "general" 2jz-ge kits not a direct fit to the IS300 without lots of modifications to the kit. Lastly, Kris is right, that turbo is huge low boost applications. You might not even get any boost until 5k RPM which makes your powerband very small. If you are going for low boost with a usually powerband, I would go with a 5858 with a .64AR or something in that range. You should start spooling at around 2k RPM and full boost around 4-5k giving a way better powerband. One last thing I noticed about your picture is that your downpipe will not fit with the ABS lines right there. You'll need to shorten them and run along the firewall giving you more room or buy a flared ABS relocation kit.

should've got the cx kit. boo.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,373 Posts
Sucks to find this stuff out now as you have already put in the work. Just echoing what’s already stated. Getting that manifold replaced would be ideal. That might allow the turbo you have to clear a little better in every area. However it’s looking like a different manifold AND turbo might be necessary to get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Well the IC kits the same between them. If XS will swap you out the mani for the steam pipe version, and a smaller turbo, I think you’ll be good to go. At least headed in the right direction.
The turbo isn't right, the kit didn't come with intercooler piping, the exhaust manifold isn't right, the wastegate will need to be replaced, the oil feed bracket wasn't right, the oil drain hardware is not ideal, the downpipe doesn't come with a midpipe... etc. etc. etc.

Honestly im looking at this "kit" I purchased and feeling like i bought a bunch of non-fitting ebay parts and a bag of crappy hardware.

(Sorry I'm a bit stressed at the moment).

I'm going to get the manifold replaced by them and address the huge turbo later

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Well the IC kits the same between them. If XS will swap you out the mani for the steam pipe version, and a smaller turbo, I think you’ll be good to go. At least headed in the right direction.
they don't even include IC piping in the XS kit. I essentially paid them $400 extra for IC piing from CX racing. They ripped off the "CX" from the package and removed all of the instructions before they shipped it to me -_-

·
Registered
864 Posts
Man that sucks dude sorry you’re stressing. It ain’t worth losing sleep over. Make a plan and see it through.
See I initially was gonna go na-t in 2016, so I also bought the xs kit. It had the CX intercooler + piping, plus the steampipe mani and a 6262ish chinacharger, hks clone wastegate, and a greddy type s bov clone. It was a pretty thorough kit back then but sounds like they’ve slacked off on QA nowadays.
I wouldn’t wait to address the giant V8 turbo man. I’d have them make it right when they get you the correct manifold. Did you try closing your hood with the turbo on the manifold? If my BW isn’t clocked just right the compressor will touch the underhood heat shield and bake it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Don't get stressed over this. Cheaper turbo kits are hit or miss on fitment....most of the time it's a miss but they are cheaper for a reason. That same kit from a name brand place like PHR or Real Street will run up to like 4k easily. Figure out all the issues, categorize them on what you can fix on your own or locally, and what needs to be fixed by XS. Work with XS (I know it's a bitch) and get things replaced to make your kit work. Turbo'ing a car is not an overnight thing usually. Take your time to make sure everything is done correctly and fits right. A piece of mind, my car was down for 7months while getting the single turbo kit installed and fitted right.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts