Lexus IS Forum banner
181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Sorry for not posting lately. Been in a little funk these last few months and it affected my progress.

With that said, I had some motivation and actually attempted a start today. No downpipe, no clamps on the intercooler, etc.

Here's the vid:

The car smelled like gas pretty bad so the old fuel issue still persists.

The intercooler piping popped off after it started building boost and there's some oily/fuely residue on the inside of the piping.

Car is also leaking out of the back of the turbo pretty heavily. Is it normal for a certain amount of fluid to go into your exhaust?

--

Overall I'm ecstatic! I know it's not there yet and there are a lot of things to nail down, but it's rewarding to hear her purr for the first time in months. I even got a little taste of those yummy turbo noises. Hooked.

I'd love any advice you have for finishing this up.

Address leaks
Get a permanent oil drain hose that won't melt
Put coolant in the car
Clamp down intercooler
Figure out what needs to go in front of the turbo (can I just adapt that red air filter to the turbo and call it a day?)
Get the downpipe adapted to the turbo
Drive to the exhaust shop and get the Greddy RS on
Get a base tune online or tinker myself
Address fuel issue
Maybe delete abs

I'd love to drive this to the store on the corner one of these days :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
The oil leaks were just due to no teflon tape on the oil feed or drain. I sured them up and no leaks.

Still leaking a little bit from the oil feed t fitting at the oil pressure sensor.

My issue is that the t fitting can't be fully tightened down due to clearance issues. I may need to find a slimmer t fitting that can freely spin and tighten without bumping into anything

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Big progress today:

Upgraded my oil drain to stainless
Got my breather hose
Got my front and above-turbo intercooler piping on
Tidy'd up harness wires with zip ties and heat resistant tape
banged downpipe clearance in firewall
addressed abs lines
bled breaks
painted some hardware
and a few extra small things

Overall, it's really close to becoming road ready. Just need to test out my brakes and get my downpipe/exhaust welded up.

very hype

=-=

in the near future when i'm "done" with the build, I'll do a full writeup of projected vs actual costs and anything I would advise/warn others on :)

nearing the end (or the beginning) of the journey, depending on how you look at it :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yeah man, about there! I say the journey is just starting.

You got a turbo blanket? I hate calling it that 😂. You need one or you won’t get real far without melting that throttle body coupler above the turbine.

Have you started it since fitting/splicing the primary O2 sensors?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·

Yeah I just ordered a cheap one to get started. I hope it fits.

Still waiting on a friend to weld up my downpipe, but I may end up buying a welder and doing it myself if we can't link up in the next week. For that reason, I haven't gotten my DP connected thus haven't tested it with o2's.

I also ordered a replacement maf JIC. They're cheap

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
I think the previous owner of my aem fic and boomslang already spliced the o2s so I should be set

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Yeah sorta. Borg s300sx knockoff. But yes a 4.21 Marmon. I chose this turbo because the xs power turbo bumps into the manifold and is a little bulbus imo

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Got my bumper fitting. I also rotated my pre-turbo intercooler pipe so the breather hose didn't have to go over top of the intercooler piping and turbo. now i have it running under where the blowoff valve is and up and around the car. much cleaner looking :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Passenger side isn't quite matching up because of the connection point of the intercooler and coupler. I'll try to bend it up for more clearance, and if that doesn't work, I'll cut a small moon shape in the under side of my bumper. Hoping i don't have to do that. :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
cut a small moon shape
Man mine don’t fit great either. You’d think it would be pretty perfect since the intercooler and piping are IS300-specific, but it’s pretty lackluster. I had to carve on the bumper and remove some of the underbody panels.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Man mine don’t fit great either. You’d think it would be pretty perfect since the intercooler and piping are IS300-specific, but it’s pretty lackluster. I had to carve on the bumper and remove some of the underbody panels.

Yeah I think my issues are unique because I have XS turbo and manifold (where turbo sits higher and more forward) and cx racing intercooler. They almost fit together but not quite. Either way I'm glad to see I'm close enough to make it work :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
I cut the downpipe and mock installed it with o2's and wideband. Clearance looks good. I'm starting to feel like I'm getting my car back!

Look at how easy it's going to be to maneuver the downpipe with the turbo flange!

So much clearance behind the downpipe now too (near the firewall it used to not have clearance and now has like a full inch!)

The o2 sensors and aem wideband also fit beautifully in the downpipe and I'm getting legit afr readings now.

Just need to get the exhaust professionally done and mess with a little tuning. Almost there!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I like the first aid underneth waiting for any potential issues lol :LOL:

Nice to see it coming along, i am looking forward to seeing the results! :cool:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Big news!

I took the car on her maiden voyage to the gas station. Overall it went really well, but the car started to run hot about 4-5 min in.

I don't really understand the coolant system on my car but I spilled a lot when I removed a coolant hose to drill and tap the oil pan.

There are two coolant fill caps and it's hard to get a good reading or know what I'm doing. Any help on that front would be AWESOME.

--

Other than that, I'm starting to home in on the tune. Got it idling around 14.5 and never going outside of 10-13 under throttle.

The brake lines aren't gonna hold permanently, but it'll work for a few weeks.

The downpipe is fit perfectly and I wrapped it. Turbo blanket helps with heat. Very pleased with that. Nice amount of clearance all over.

I also clamped down the intercooler piping to avoid air leaks. Bled the brakes again too.

Various pics and vids

A big successful day. The car is now off ramps and drivable short distances.

I just need to address the overheating issue, get the downpipe flange fully welded, and take it to the exhaust shop. Brakes some time soon as well.

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you work on cars and don't have a cooling system burp kit like the one posted below, you should get one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·

·
Registered
547 Posts
There is a cap on top of the radiator, and a coolant overflow bottle with a yellow snap-on lid.

Remove radiator cap. Fit the burp kit funnel to the radiator. Fill the system, get the funnel about 2/3 full. Start the car, heat on full blast. Add coolant to the funnel as necessary to keep it 2/3 full. Run the engine for 10-15 minutes until the heat is blowing nice and hot, you hear no whooshing of bubbles passing through the heater core, and no more bubble come up into the funnel. Plug the funnel. Remove funnel. Cap the radiator. Pour the excess from the funnel into the jug your coolant came from. At full operating temp, set the coolant level in the overflow bottle between the "min" and "max" marks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
I got the coolant issue fixed and the car runs at the right temp (yay).

I also got the greddy RS installed custom. The guy fabbed up a mid pipe and did a great job.

Here's a basic pic and sound clip.

At this point, I really just need to get my bumper on properly, redo my abs lines, and continue to dial in the tune.

Although this project will never be "done", I think we're near the end of the initial setup.

I have a replacement abs block and got 6 20 inch premade japanese double flared m10x1.0 hardware. Hopefully I can redo the abs so it looks clean and doesn't leak.

181 - 200 of 215 Posts