Lexus IS Forum banner

IS300 Sold! New G35 Build Thread

128K views 799 replies 119 participants last post by  EternaL3o5 
#1 · (Edited)
So finally, after a year of putting my car back to stock and looking into what I wanted to get, I finally made a move. Originally, I wanted a 350z, but I finally decided I wanted the perks of a luxury car that I'm used to, with nearly the same performance and body style. Ergo, the Infinity G35 coupe was exactly what I was looking for!

About a month or two of looking went by and I could not seem to find what I wanted. Then one miraculously came along when I was starting to lose hope. I walked out the door with the keys less than 3 days after it was listed. :lol:

2004 Infiniti G35
-6mt coupe with leather/sport package
-All factory options
-54,025 miles
-Brand new OEM clutch/flywheel & shocks
-Nearly perfect paint
-Perfect factory maintenance records
-Single-owner weekend car from Sctottsdale

1. Fresh from the dealership!

2. Took off the grill and painted it low-gloss black with Plastidip. Hard to work with, but completely worth not having rock chips on your grill.

3. I've already started modding after having the car for a month. Ugh. I bought a JWT intake to get rid of the amazingly terrible stock air-box and extremely baffled intake system. The sad thing is that I feel an extreme difference, and not just in the butt dyno, but also in the responsiveness of the car and how it reacts to throttle input. Pics to come.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Out with the old :(

Here is a link to the thread:
http://my.is/forums/f90/who-likes-slammed-is300s-wide-wheels-low-offsets-i-do-416738/
Stance:Nation - One Bad Four Door

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm guessing that the 35/38 Enkei's will have the best fit (without having to do a lot of fender work), but I'm a sucker for a polished lip, so I'd go for the Work VS-XX 18x8 +38 & 18x9.5 +38. If you drop it to a zero finger gap, the rear should be flush or have a little poke. My 18x9+38 (rear) were flush with a 0.25-0.5 finger gap. 18x8+38 will be sunk once you drop it to a 0.5 finger gap. Yeah, the "x finger gap" isn't an exact science, but you get the idea lol.

Do you have plans to track these wheels?

Reactions: twestman
#6 · (Edited)
I'm guessing that the 35/38 Enkei's will have the best fit (without having to do a lot of fender work), but I'm a sucker for a polished lip, so I'd go for the Work VS-XX 18x8 +38 & 18x9.5 +38. If you drop it to a zero finger gap, the rear should be flush or have a little poke. My 18x9+38 (rear) were flush with a 0.25-0.5 finger gap. 18x8+38 will be sunk once you drop it to a 0.5 finger gap. Yeah, the "x finger gap" isn't an exact science, but you get the idea lol.

Do you have plans to track these wheels?
Negatory on the the tracking. Just plan on DD'ing them. I don't auto-x so hopefully they'd stay in good condition like my current wheels have.

I have 18x8 +40 F right now and they're sunken in at my -.25 finger gap. I plan on having a finger gap at most and also adding maybe a 5mm spacer up front, but my only concern would be my 6kg rear coils since they're so soft. I never have anyone in the car, but there's always that chance of hitting a bad bump and compressing the suspension too far to where it hits the flush wheels/tires. But whatever.

As far as unsprung weight advantage goes, I'd go with the RPF1's (that and they're a hell of a lot cheaper), but I have always wanted some Work VS-XX in gold for my GGP... I'm a sucker in that regard.

#7 ·
haha, yeah I saw that the 2 sets are pretty close. At my current ride height, I would have liked my wheels to be a little more aggressive. I could always run spacers, but I don't want to bother with them.

If they are just going to be DD wheels, just go for what ever tightens the front of your trousers.

#8 ·
Yeah they're somewhat conservative but I think it really wouldn't make too much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. It could just potentially create more of a hastle for daily driving. What coils are you using now? I'm thinking about replacing the rear springs to the 8kg eibachs on my ExV's to compensate for the mushy ride and hopefully the aggressive offset won't create many problems.

#19 ·
Everyone says that 225/40/18 on a 18x8+38 is a non issue. If I went into a corner with moderate speed, and hit any bumps, my wheels would occasionally hit the front fender. Now that they have been rolled flat, I haven't had any issues. If they were closer to the fender (lower offset), I might have had to pull the fender a little...and no, my car isn't slammed. A 215/40 in front might be a good idea for you.

I'm on GR+ w/ 12/10 spring rates. I would definitely switch to 8kg in back. I hated my ExV's with the 6kg rear. Do you still have the image I sent you?

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want, now you just have to pull the trigger.

#10 ·
it is hard, i dont know, i would not go aggressive if u want wide tire but u have stated what u want to run so i guess u know exactly what u want, i wouldnt go aggressive only cause i want a fat tire in the rear :)

the difference between the 2 brands besides the weight and price, is obviously detail and standing out, the Enkei's are like racing wheels that do not grab your attention too much, but just enough to blend and be subtle

so what is the reason for 18's vs 17's? u do know that tire prices between the two just gets bigger and bigger the bigger the tire you put on ;) and brand wise too

i just wonder how much of a benefit 17's are over 18's in performance if you have both relatively the same weight

i know i felt big difference from the stock wheels to the ones i have which are also like 16 lbs or something like that

#12 ·
Hahaha you should get the RPF1's and I'll get the VS-XX ;)

Well, with a 18x9.5 +38, I can still run a 255/35 or even a 265 if I want, I just cant be at my current ride height and I'll have to pull the fenders a little. Kaptain86 did it with his 18x9.5 +38 RPF1's and that's what I planned on running with, I just happened to find those Work VS-XX that had the same offsets and I've wanted a set for the longest time! Also, kdog had 18x9.5 +38 with the fender lips rolled flat and no other mods with a 245/40, no rubbing.

I don't have my car for performance purposes, because it's not turbo, and it's pretty slow regardless. The weight difference between the VS-XX and my current setup will be maybe adding a lb or two to the rear and that's it. I could get the RPF1's and gain a better edge performance wise, but I'm not in that mindset. I'm getting 18's because I think 19's are too big for how low I want to be, and 17's look too small in the wheel wells and have to bulky of a sidewall. I think a 40 series sidewall on an 18" wheel is the perfect composition of style, comfort and performance. I think others would agree, which is why many choose to go with 18's over 17's. Now when it comes to track wheels, light 17's are the way to go!

#13 ·
I'd love to get some Intellesse, but the only problem is that I can't find the right offset and width! The ones up for sale now are super sick but I want a slightly wider rear. 19's are also a no-go. Haha I think VS-XX's are COMPLETELY overrated and way too many people have them!

However, I really don't care what other people have. Hahaha they're a sick wheel and I have honestly never seen any in real life, so I think that the chances of running across someone in my area that has them is slim to none.

It's still a tough choice..... Haha

#25 ·
i agree that these vs-xx will look good on your GGP, on my CW i dont know not so much, i think i would go with silver, gray, black, or white for a white IS

#24 ·
nm about the 275 18's it seems you would need to go with 30 wall, and they do not make 275 30 18's :/ at least tirerack doesnt have it lol that setup would be only .5% off speedometer

#34 ·
I hate you for the fact of my jealously of you being turbo'd. anyways, your IS looks ill, BUT twestman is way lower in the rear and im sure will need to do some pull to get those tires to fit. UNLESS youre planning on raising your car?? (twestman)

#47 ·
Hahahaha I'll be getting Figs control arms eventually so I can control the camber. Why not try a 265/35 at -5 deg camber?!?! LOL

Well! I did it guys..... I ordered my new wheels.

BAM!

I know they're somewhat common, but who cares. I think they're the f***in' sickest wheels.... Semi-aggressive FTW :cool: haha

I just ordered some Yokohama S-Drive's 215/40 & 245/40 too. I was going to get some Falken FK452's, but I heard more positive things about the Yoks....
im confused on 245/40's isnt that going to give you like 4% off from the speedometer ?

or if your stretching the tire that does not apply much?

#38 ·
I prefer Work over Enkei or Intellese. The Algernons are nice, but VS-XX's are dope. I know timing is a huge factory considering that the only wheels you will find for $1500 are used Works or used Intellese for that price.

Reactions: twestman
#44 ·
i knew it LOL i was watching this thread and wondering what you were going to pick. works work well with our cars. true it is common but you can never go wrong with works. cant wait to see pics. enkei to me are meant to be track wheels. and intells are like super vip status and works have an equal balance and seems to hold their value pretty good.+++rep bro

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.