Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this happen to you people, but my IS300 smells really nasty (like [email protected]) every time I floor the gas for acceleration. I mean... I notice the smell when I pull over and park after accelerating. Are you experiencing this or did my IS300 just had too much bean & premium gas?

·
Registered
176 Posts
is it happen after the oil change? probaly the oil is burnt under the hood, if dat da case. better yet air freshener

·
Registered
146 Posts
Chromoplast,
Don't worry, mine does that too. It happens because the car is eating up so much gas when you floor the accelerator and the aftermath of the wasted gas is like us humans: fart, gas, rotten egg smell, whatever you want to call it. It's all normal.

Kenneth

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh cool. Nice to hear that.
Hopefully my is300 won't start letting out droppings from the exhaust pipe. (maybe that's why the exhaust is so big)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I thought the rotten egg smell was a problem with the catalytic converter.
BTW: I have "Gotten all up on it" several times, in fact my gas mileage for 1 take has bee as low as 15 mpg. Ive never had that sort of smell.

·
Registered
666 Posts
what's the air filter thingy in the glove box suppose to do? Just control dust, pollen and such from entering the cabin?

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
Originally posted by wazzup:
what's the air filter thingy in the glove box suppose to do? Just control dust, pollen and such from entering the cabin?
the sulphurous smell is a byproduct of the platinum catalytic conversion process.

·
Registered
571 Posts
is your car still pretty new?

I know when I installed new exhaust systems, there is always a nasty smell for the first two weeks, and this is because of the coating inside the pipes...not fully cured yet. It should go away, but if not, add cologne to your gas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wazzup,
Yes you're right, the filter in the glove box is to eliminate dust, pollen etc from entering the car's cabin. It's not there to eliminate any smells from entering though.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by chromaplast:
haha!
yes, my car is still new. (under 2 weeks old)
and no, its not equipped with fart pilot (yet)
because you haven't broken it in yet. Did you drive it easy for 1000-1500 miles?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
chromaplast
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing