Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is for the debate of IS300 performance on street and track versus other cars. The claim has been made that if an IS300 and an Echo are sent around one of the tracks in Southern Ontario... they'll produce similar times?!?!? :confused:

The firsts posts were initially from the SPOTTED thread.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
you shouldn't be racing on the streets anyways kids. Take it to the track!!!!!

1) IS300 is slowwwwww. look at its power to weight. an Echo comes close. don't try to be a hero and race anyone. if u wanna race, come to the track.

2) Andrew's GS is breathes like a well tuned athlete. don't try this at home kids.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

1) IS300 is slowwwwww. look at its power to weight. an Echo comes close. don't try to be a hero and race anyone. if u wanna race, come to the track.

2) Andrew's GS is breathes like a well tuned athlete. don't try this at home kids.
Umm....so since you have such disbelief in our sexy cars...why did you put so much money into yours? if your looking for " power to weight " take all that rice mods and put into the silky smooth straight six and then come talk about power.

I really need to meet up with some of you powerhouse boys...i wanna see some sweet " L's" puttin it down.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
buddy. it's not about disbelief. it's about data. engineering. numbers. our cars are slow. it's not religion or fanatical willing of enticing faster acceleration numbers........ our cars are just slow.

I'm just telling some of the kids on this board, they shouldn't ride around thinking they're pro-stars and racing other people. Firstly because racing doesn't belong on the streets, and secondly, if you wanna prove you're a pro-star, come to the race track and kick it.

My car is fast on track. W/ a well tuned nut behind the wheel.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Was that you?

On old kingston road yesterday around 1:30am? MAN! I just got this car about two months ago. I can't believe how fast you took off! I thought it would have been a close one and i'd end up being the victor?

My buddy was saying "yo you'll smoke this guy" LOL!

Thanks for slowing down so i could catch up just to rip me again?
I think i have to watch out for modified cars from now on.
Just so everyone knows this guy's car is fast don't race him! He took me by about 10 car lengths!
IS300's are ass. Don't race them.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IS300's may not be the fastest cars out there... but you can still have fun with them. The way some people claim they are slow... you'd think the IS300 was on par with a Honda Fit or something when it comes to acceleration. But that is not the case! The IS300 (Altezza) came out for the 1998 model year... and the 2JZ has been out way before that... so obviously things have evolved over that time. If somebody said in 1998 that compact sedans would have 300hp in them... people would think they were crazy.

Anyways this is hilarious to see two sides of a battle meet up online. I'd really like to see how my car stacks up against Jahn or Andrew's cars. I know they'd be much faster... but I'd like to see how much faster.

And lexusecutive you are right... racing belongs on the track. It's just that sometimes it's hard to control the testosterone. :blush:

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
you can also have fun on a tobaggan.

Like Denis said: don't race these things on the street. You'll get embarrassed.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
haha this thread just got a whole lot of funny.

I get you lexusecutive. Our cars are not the kind where you go challenge someone. To be honest even boosted I feel pretty slow. That will change with this years upgrades :)

BTW Andrew, that sounds too cheap to be true? I wish I had money lying around to just do a complete 180 from S/C'd to turbo haha. Let us know how it goes.

Crester I'm still around and I guess you'll get a chance to measure up this spring/summer.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Haha, that's true, but is it okay if I already smoked the the car beside me without even breaking the speed limit by more than + 20km/h? :jawDrop: I was just trying to make a lane change because the lane ahead was merging in...haha

I also noticed a lot of modded IS300 in my area, so I thought I would at least make it on this thread numerous times...!

Many occasions, they were young folks and driving all hot and shit in their modded IS'... My IS300 appears WAY to stock and they probably think I can't afford decent rims and cannot complete my bodykit...lol Then they would find out why the hell my car has a turbo spooling sound louder than my exhaust and kick my rear 245-wide tires out rolling at 70 km/h :cool: Usually I get more thumbs up than I get any real good kills :( :p

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
not even breaking more then 20km/h over? ! hell ya! doooo it!!

anything more then that......come to the track and spank some STi lap-time w/ me!!!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
buddy. it's not about disbelief. it's about data. engineering. numbers. our cars are slow. it's not religion or fanatical willing of enticing faster acceleration numbers........ our cars are just slow.

I'm just telling some of the kids on this board, they shouldn't ride around thinking they're pro-stars and racing other people. Firstly because racing doesn't belong on the streets, and secondly, if you wanna prove you're a pro-star, come to the race track and kick it.

My car is fast on track. W/ a well tuned nut behind the wheel.
I understand what your saying, but im not saying our cars are as fast as some of the BIG out the gate Ponies. Im saying they are injured pit bulls..take care of them and bring them up to health...and they can be as much of a beast as the Great Supra TT.

I know many of you think the same way, but maybe your not seeing, this car has the same motor as the supra TT and is lighter! ( there is your power to wieght Ratio )

Now im sure many of you have seen this, but this is one of the MANY reason why i believe in this car! no matter what car you buy you will spend a good bit of money in it. If you can set asside 5-8grand you will have beast no one will be able to control.

:: VisionboY Productions | The Cars ::

enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
there's a reason why nobody races the IS300 man....... it's slow. it needs a lot of jam to be fast. our cars are heavy for their wheelbase, and should have come from the factory w/ more power.

I'm not a disbeliever either. I LOVE IS300! Trust me! Which is why I'm trying to make her as fast as possible on track and as a daily driver.

I find it more fun to take a car that has been shunned in the racing world......and make her fast. Cuz 1 thing, it'll turn heads. and 2nd thing.... they'll think u're an all-star driver.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lexusecutive... our cars aren't that bad for when they first came out. Obviously by today's standards they are not the quickest. It's thanks to Nissan that the world was flipped over in terms of what was expected of horsepower.

It just makes me feel odd to hear people say the IS300 is sooooo slow. It's not slow. Is it slower than other cars out today... yes... is it a slouch overall... no. The IS350 today can hit 100 km/h faster than a Ferrari Testarossa. Does that mean the Ferrari is crappy? No... it's just from another era. The Bugatti Veyron can out-accelerate a Ferrari Enzo. Does that mean the Enzo is slow? No... it's just not as fast as the Veyron. Everything is relative.

Look at horsepower ratings in 2001:

LEXUS
IS300 - 215 hp

BMW
325i - 184 hp
330i - 225 hp

MERCEDES
C240 - 168 hp
C320 - 215 hp

ACURA
3.2TL - 225 hp

INFINITI
G20 - 145 hp

All these hp ratings were "normal" until Infiniti released the G35 and blew the world away with their 298hp cars.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Dude. its slow. Try to race anyone. Dragway or circuit. it's slow. I'm not talking about peak HP. I hate when ppl compare peak HP numbers....cuz they don't mean much to tell if a car is quick or not!!!

Power to weight ratio, our car is on par w/ an Echo. GO LOOK AT power to weight!!!

Better yet, come to a track day (drag OR circuit) and put your internet-posting to the test. And you'll quickly QUICKLY see how slow our cars are.

I'm calling all you kids who think your IS300 is so fast out, right now. Come out to Cayuga or Dunnville or Shannonville and you'll learn REAL FAST that our car is SLOW!!!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On par with an Echo? My parents have an Echo and have driven it on a number of occasions. I'm pretty certain the IS300 will out-accelerate it. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying the IS300 is a rocket ship... I'm just saying I think it's getting a bit more criticism than it deserves.

Obviously if I goto a track with modded new STi's, 335i's, G37's... even SRT-4's... then car vs. car the IS300 is slower. I'm just saying for it's time the IS300 is not that bad. The design of the IS300 is nearly 10 years old now!

And when it comes to track performance... as you said yourself... hp isn't everything. There are sports-car racing events where multiple brands of cars compete against each other. Vipers may blow away everything in a straight line... but it doesn't necessarily mean it'll set the fastest lap time. Sometimes you see guys with high hp cars... and they just sit there wasting time spinning their tires. I've learned even from Karting that having the most powerful vehicle doesn't necessarily translate into a faster performance.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Ok Sean. Come to the track. My buddy will bring his Echo hatch 5spd. And you bring your IS.

And we'll do a test. I promise you, IF you beat the Echo in straight line....it'll only be by 1 car length.

Circuit translation = It'll get around faster then your stock ride w/ its 1000lbs advantage on you.

yes, IS300 is outdated. I'm just try'n to tell you...... a LOT of kids in their IS300 think its a fast car.......but just take it to a track, and go up against.....even a Celica..... or a Civic.... and you will quickly see who gets beaten.

TRUST ME. my entire quest to make my car lap quickly has been BECAUSE I got my lap times handed to me by the likes of Echo's and Celica's. And I am not an inexperienced driver. It's just that our power to weight is really really really bad.

When you come on here and tell me you've gone out and went head to head against a car all-flat-out (that means you have slips, or lap tickers or a datalogger to prove it).....and WON...... then I'll believe that our car is quick. But looking at our car in stock form, in slightl modded form, in FULL RACE-trim...... I am TELLING YOU IT IS SLOW.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I really cannot agree with you there... i have RECENTLY raced my cuzins MazdaSpeed Protege. WITH an Intercooler Mod, Drop in K.N and Cat back.

i have my Joez Pipe and Axle back. and i beat him by a little more then a car. He is 175hp i think .. The only time he beat me was when he upped his boost to 10psi.

i would like to meet up at the track and check out how we all do on the track. but i do not believe our cars are slow, they are detuned Luxury sedans. and with the PROPER tuning you can be very dominant on the track.

Lexexcutive do you have any pics or specs on your car?

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
lol! take it to the track.......

racing on the street against your cousin doesn't count man......how many times do you "race" on the street....and lift early, or shift early etc. etc.?? it doesn't cut it.

When you're on the track, and you're on the clock.... you REALLY HAVE to push, cuz you HAVE to prove it.

Dude, i've worked on IS300's in their stock trim perform......right up to slightly modified.... to heavily modified......to full-on race-trim.... i KNOW they're slow.

·
Registered
345 Posts
OK .. how the hell did this SPOTTED thread turn into a discussion of whether or not the IS300 is fast or slow on the track ... really, who the hell cares at this point ... yes, we'll take your word for it that the stock car is slow on the track ... again, who cares ... real life sensibility dictates that there should be no "racing" on the streets, thus, in every f-ing day driving situations, a stock IS300 can get to the next stoplight quicker, travel from one highway exit to another quicker, and overtake a f-ing stock Echo from standstill at a traffic light ... all with more than one f-ing car length too ... if you can't overtake a f-ing stock Echo, then you have more problems than a slow IS300.... the argument of "take it to the track" is getting tiring ... we don't buy cars to drive on the track, the majority of people buy cars for everyday road use .... also, so what if KIDs think their IS300 is fast? ... it's not your place to convince them otherwise... they will find out themselves whether or not the car is sufficient for their driving needs ...

NOW LET'S GET THIS BACK TO BEING A SPOTTED THREAD ... :)

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I merely wanted to say that you just can't PROVE a car is fast, until you take it to the track. That is all. The problem is that sooooo many ppl on this board think their car is so fast. Just like you do.

And thus. I'm calling YOU OUT, IS300K:

Come to the track and you'll see how an echo can smoke you in a dash to 500metres (as you said: from one light to another)

1 - 20 of 137 Posts