Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around at any and all IS300 info I can find. The one thing that concerns me, and people on this form have mentioned it too, back seat room.

I'm 6'2" and atleast part of the time my new car will be the "Family car." I have two boys, 3 and 5.

I'm starting to look at maybe a '98-'99 GS300, which looks about the same price as a loaded IS300.

Does anyone do any kid hailing in their IS? I know some of you have some experience with the GS300-400, what do you think? The magazine reviews I've seen are OUTSTANDING.

I was hoping L-Tuned would have a supercharger out for the GS300.

Farch

p.s. oh and in case you care, I'm not trying to get my message count up
I'm halfway through my last 2 weeks at my current job...It's very boring here.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Back seat room in the IS is "very adequate". Noone who has ridden back there has complained and almost everyone comments that there is a good amount of room.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
260 Posts
shouldn't have any problem for the kids back there.. unless you put a huge babyseat and the front set pushed all the way back..
so far, none of my friends who have make any compliant about the backseat yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had passengers comment that it's "pretty tight" back there. It also depends on who's in front. There's lots of room if the seats are up for shorter people, but if you're over 6' then most of your passengers will have their knees close to the seat backs.

I do haul my daughter in her baby seat all the time and that works great. Also a very nice touch for Lexus to put in 3 baby seat anchors across the entire back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by lowprofile:
I've had passengers comment that it's "pretty tight" back there. It also depends on who's in front. There's lots of room if the seats are up for shorter people, but if you're over 6' then most of your passengers will have their knees close to the seat backs.

I do haul my daughter in her baby seat all the time and that works great. Also a very nice touch for Lexus to put in 3 baby seat anchors across the entire back.
Cool this is what I wanted to hear... I didn't know about the seat anchors. The problem is I will more than likely be driving BOTH boys around at the same time, so one will always be behind me. They kick the back of the driver's seat in my Solara now and it has 3 inches more for rear leg room than the IS300.

Farch

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yah I have the same problem with my daughter in the back (middle) of my IS. The rule now is "shoes off in dad's new car". Still annoying but at least she won't scuff the leather.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by Farch:
I've been looking around at any and all IS300 info I can find. The one thing that concerns me, and people on this form have mentioned it too, back seat room.

I'm 6'2" and atleast part of the time my new car will be the "Family car." I have two boys, 3 and 5.

I'm starting to look at maybe a '98-'99 GS300, which looks about the same price as a loaded IS300.

Does anyone do any kid hailing in their IS? I know some of you have some experience with the GS300-400, what do you think? The magazine reviews I've seen are OUTSTANDING.

I was hoping L-Tuned would have a supercharger out for the GS300.

Farch

p.s. oh and in case you care, I'm not trying to get my message count up
I'm halfway through my last 2 weeks at my current job...It's very boring here.
Farch, I put my 4 yr old and 2 yr old back there everyday. It works for me.

Why buy an old looking used GS, when you can get a new, cool looking IS?

If you are concerned about rear seat room, maybe an Avalon?

------------------
cardinal
'01 Silver/Black
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17"

·
Registered
344 Posts
Not an Avalon, for gods sake!

My 6 y.o. and 13 y.o. sis in law both ride back there with ease. They'll be able to ride with considerable comfort for awhile just as long as they don't have any sudden growth spurts. Skip the GS and go for a Silver IS!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ive toted several co workers to and from client sites for meetings, and 4 adults seem to fit just fine.
I also have to admit that the last two weeks of a job can be rather tedious. I gave notice this past monday. I hope my last day goes well, as it is Friday the 13th.

PS:I am a Senior Network Engineer, and I have heard several smart comments from clients about my car. To the tune of "Now I see why you guys charge me $135 an hour.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all,

I tend to lose faith
I was worried, the first time I tried to get in the back of an IS the front seat was all the way back and reclined quite a bit. I couldn't get my knees in the car.

Hey when is the slowest car selling month? January? I may try to make my deal then or wait until just before the 2002 come out. If it was all my decision I would be ordering one tomorrow but my wife wont hear of it

If anyone is looking to buy soon, check out this site: http://www.driveoff.com/index.jsp I came across it and entered in the car I wanted. It found a dealer 115 miles away from me that would sell the car ~$1000 under MSRP. Not much, but for a car selling as well as the IS300 that's damn good.

Farch

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you honestly need 18 people to tell you how big the back seat is?

[This message has been edited by Falken (edited October 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Falken:
Do you honestly need 18 people to tell you how big the back seat is?

[This message has been edited by Falken (edited October 05, 2000).]
Did you honestly need to add this comment to increase your message count?

To answer your question: I needed at least one person with a similar situation to answer honestly, I got several. I also live about 60 miles from the nearest Lexus dealer so I can't very well take my kids and their car seats to test it myself.

Farch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts