Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
Bro. You made a post about this already. I told you that the wiring is exactly the same aside from a ground wire. That’s the wiring diagram you provided.

25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bro. You made a post about this already. I told you that the wiring is exactly the same aside from a ground wire. That’s the wiring diagram you provided.

As you can see with the picture though, the wire colours are very different.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
It would be best to just get a mirror that matches the year of your car. The 2002-2005 mirror wiring should be good if you have any year in that range. If you have a 2001, it would be best to find that year mirror.

If you can’t, you will want to look at the diagram. One of them matches your car. The wiring diagram shows what each wire does. Colors won’t matter when you can see what each wire does in the wiring diagram.

25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It would be best to just get a mirror that matches the year of your car. The 2002-2005 mirror wiring should be good if you have any year in that range. If you have a 2001, it would be best to find that year mirror.

If you can’t, you will want to look at the diagram. One of them matches your car. The wiring diagram shows what each wire does. Colors won’t matter when you can see what each wire does in the wiring diagram.
I'm sorry, but what do you mean colours won't matter? How am I meant to know what each wire does in correspondence?
I'm not sure what year the mirror is. I was hoping somebody can help identify it so I can check the diagrams

·
Registered
668 Posts
How am I meant to know what each wire does in correspondence?
git gud. Haha couldn’t resist.

No, seriously, you’ve been given sound advice. I can parrot what has been said: the colors don’t matter, it’s the function of each wire thats important.

Do you know how to use a VOM / ohmmeter? If not you can still take the mirror housing apart and figure out what each wire’s function is. The motor moves up-down, left-right (ab,ab, start, select😂 anyone that played Nintendo in the 80s?). So 4 wires are for the motor : 2 tilt it up/ down and 2 angle it left/right (the control switch reverses polarity to make this happen). Then I believe there is the defroster control pwr and gnd; and the Autodim pwr and gnd ( I know this because I put powerfolding housings on mine with USDM mirrors retrofitted - it’s been awhile so double check me). You should be able to figure it out with this info. It’s pretty straightforward but wiring can be intimidating if you’ve never done it. Just have to dive in and unravel it or pay someone to do it.

25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
git gud. Haha couldn’t resist.

No, seriously, you’ve been given sound advice. I can parrot what has been said: the colors don’t matter, it’s the function of each wire thats important.

Do you know how to use a VOM / ohmmeter? If not you can still take the mirror housing apart and figure out what each wire’s function is. The motor moves up-down, left-right (ab,ab, start, select😂 anyone that played Nintendo in the 80s?). So 4 wires are for the motor : 2 tilt it up/ down and 2 angle it left/right (the control switch reverses polarity to make this happen). Then I believe there is the defroster control pwr and gnd; and the Autodim pwr and gnd ( I know this because I put powerfolding housings on mine with USDM mirrors retrofitted - it’s been awhile so double check me). You should be able to figure it out with this info. It’s pretty straightforward but wiring can be intimidating if you’ve never done it. Just have to dive in and unravel it or pay someone to do it.
Ok cool. I've got a voltage meter I can use, but not great at using it. What do I select to figure out the function of the mirror?

·
Registered
668 Posts
What do I select to figure out the function of the mirror?
Resistance. You should have two values that are pretty similar. These will be the motor. The defroster will be read the same. I don’t know what the autodim voodoo would be. It may be easier to pry the glazing out and just trace the wires (visually or with the meter set to continuity) inside the housing.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
571 Posts
Pfft.

Here is what you do bro. Grab your Voltmeter. Set it to direct voltage To read voltage.

take your side mirror switch out of the door panel and plug it back into the factory switch it belongs to.

turn the key on the car.

Switch the switch to operate the left mirror

take your voltmeter NEGATIVE probe and ground it onto the door bare metal somewhere or some source of a GOOD ground.

take the POSITIVE probe and while pressing the UP arrow on the switch, find out which wire on the factory mirror connector is getting power.

from this point you can then label that wire and all the other wires UP, DOWN, LEFT, and RIGHT. Pretty simple.

after that as been sorted out, then take your Volt meter and switch it to OHM or continuity.

KEEP YOUR SAME GOOD GROUND
connected to ground and probe the remaining unlabeled wires to determine which one is the ground wire. This should also be simple to find. Label that ground wire.

now there should be at least one more wire that could be the defrost wire power or auto dim feature.

the defrost wire can be found out by clicking on the defrost button and setting the climate control to defrost. There should be then power at one more wire which can then be labeled as defrost.

Now that that’s all figured out, turn your attention to the used mirror connector you bought.

All those wires do something. If I were you, and for simplicity’s case.

find yourself two 3-4ft long pieces of wire any color doesn’t matter.

attach one wire to the negative battery post and the other to the positive battery posT.

now chances are the ground wire on that connector will be black. So place the wire from the negative post onto that wire and theN probe the other pins with the positive wire and this will tell you which wire does what on the mirror side of the equation.

from here you can simple connect the corresponding wires together based on what they each do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts