Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I plan on buying an IS300 within this year and I plan on selling my modded 1990 Toyota Celica Alltrac to do so.

I was wondering what are some quirks with the car from the factory. Is there any major problems or weak points about the engine or drivetrain? Like notchy shifter, poor synchros', weak headgasket and so on?

Also is there any major differences between the '01. '02 and '03 IS300 models? Such as LSD not being available in certain years or anything like that? Mostly performance differences is what I am most interested at hearing about, but was there any major cosmetic changes as well?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
'01's had some issues with ECU upgrades and Traction Control upgrades. I'v heard complaints that the 5 spd is weak, but between me and 2 others in Houston with the manual, we havent had trouble yet, and our each at teh 30k mark...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
'01 only auto, no arm rest
'02 AT and MT, arm rest, different grill?
'03 same as above
'04 same as above + new OEM dash tray, new colors, memory seats, etc

care to correct or add? :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow doesn't seem like much change over the years then. I think I'll be looking around for a '02 model then since I must have a manual transmission.

If there is any good sites you guys know of about the is300 let me know. I want to pick up as much info on the car as possible before I go looking to buy one. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
good luck on your purchase!

i think this is the best place for IS300 info...

just be good at searching :D

btw, MT is rare nowadays...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
in my area at least :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AltezzaBoy03 said:
good luck on your purchase!

i think this is the best place for IS300 info...

just be good at searching :D

btw, MT is rare nowadays...
Thanks man I've done a lot of searching in the past two days. I like this forum, there seems to be quite a few very knowledgeable people here.

There is no way I'm driving an auto...unless I got my left leg amputated...then maybe I'd consider. Haha.

·
Registered
138 Posts
the IS300 is a fun car to drive. so far the only quirks i've found on this car are the traction control and the ABS. both are a little too sensitive for my preferences. i always drive with the traction control turned off now.

and maybe it's just my car or something, but the tranny doesn't shift smooth when the engine is cold. after driving around a bit and warming up all the oils, it's much easier/smoother to work through the gears.

·
Registered
53 Posts
slackerbot said:
and maybe it's just my car or something, but the tranny doesn't shift smooth when the engine is cold. after driving around a bit and warming up all the oils, it's much easier/smoother to work through the gears.
Not just you, although I've experienced that on all the manuals I've owned over the years (a Saturn and a Prelude ... oh the memories). You just have to take it easy until all the juices get warmed up. I get more freaked out when engaging a cold clutch than working through the gears. Mine kind of shudders when engaging if it's not warmed up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts