Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People usually say don't buy a first year vehicle, but I tell them that the IS300 has been available in Europe and Japan in various forms and has done well there. Am i justified? I would think that Lexus would be smart and already have fixed the minor bugs that happened in those cars overseas. Anybody have suggestions?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Think of it this way, it's basically the same car. However, there are tweaks in the American version not seen in other versions. So although you'd be buying a car that looks the same, it isn't a carbon copy. I've often heard people saying not to buy a 1st year production, although I tend not to think it's very justified. Just do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also, there are almost always many small changes between model years of cars. I would think that other than the engine/tranny, the IS300 is pretty much the same car as the IS200. And the engine & tranny are from existing cars. So not much is really new anyway. So hopefully this means we really won't get any real first year problems. It sounds good anyway!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would definitely wait after a year before buying this new Lexus, although it's very tempting. I'll say this because I bought my Ford Expedition the first year that it came out and there were a lot of "bugs". I was at the dealer almost every month for recalls and problems. I never owned a Lexus before, does anybody know if the first 3 years Maintenance is included?

·
Registered
171 Posts
How can you compare quality btw a Ford and a Lexus? There's always "bugs" in Ford, Chevy and Chrysler no matter what year the model is in.

On the issue of buying 1st year car or not, it's personal preference. If you feel 1st year cars are problematic, then you will always feel that way. However, we all run into a "lemon" once in a while. By going with a Lexus or an Acura, you will run into them less often.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I can't wait, but if you can it might be a good idea because:

The dealers will be less willing to budge on the price of a brand new model. It might still fetch MSRP next year, but maybe not... If you wait it might pay off in $$$

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing