Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been confirmed by metra a new kit modual for the IS300 radio is now availiable

No longer need to cut the cables, you can now bypass the amp
and again NO NEED TO CUT ANY CABLE!!!!!!

There is one company selling on ebay for a $129 bucks, i say is a bit much but i think is worth it.

now for navi owner, i think they would lose voice prompt ans stull like that. still waiting confirmation from metra.

PART # TYTO-01 for the harness/amp interface. 02'-05' models.

here is the actual email from METRA.

Sent : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 7:00 AM
To : "Eric Cheung" <[email protected]>
Subject : RE: is300 harness

Go to previous message | Go to next message | Delete | Inbox

99-8151 for the kit. 01'-05' models.
TYTO-01 for the harness/amp interface. 02'-05' models.

Matt

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, October 16, 2006 7:01 PM
To: Matt Calderon
Subject: is300 harness

hi,

i would like to know if there is any chance that you guy will be making
a kit harness for the lexus IS300 it is a very popular car and since it
is a luxury car a lot of people can't bring themselves to cut the cables.

i hope you guys will make one soon, the car was in production from 01-05

thanks Eric

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Good info!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have email metra again about this harness, (navi owner) they do not know if i will lose the nav voice they want me to try it and let them know.... i guess i will be requesting one for free!!!! i will keep you guys post it.....

actual email_____________________________________

We have not tested nav. radios in the IS300 with our TYTO-01, but any
other circumstance you will lose any features that went through the
radio. Now because the TYTO-01 is digital, you may,.. be able to retain
the nav. voices as the factory amp will stay functioning. I have spoke
with an engineer and he seems very doubtful that it will retain the nav.
voices, but until it is tested, we will never know 100%. If you do try
the TYTO-01, let me know please.

Matt

Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:07 PM
Subject: RE: is300 harness

thanks for the quick response, can you tell me if i will lose any of the
navigation features? my IS300 has a stock navigastion that is known to
need the stock amp in order to function.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by the way this harness does not really bypass the amp, they claim that it actually uses the stock amp with the new radio..... but i wont know for sure until i actually get this unit ant test it.

·
Premium Member
11,211 Posts
Woah, woah, woah.....lets slow down for a second....
This thing is $130, on ebay?! Thats rediculous for a piece of plastic and a few wires. Untill the price comes down boycott that shit....seriously

$130 to skip the wiring that took me 4 minutes......no thanks, where are my wire strippers

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
ItalynStylion said:
Woah, woah, woah.....lets slow down for a second....
This thing is $130, on ebay?! Thats rediculous for a piece of plastic and a few wires. Untill the price comes down boycott that shit....seriously

$130 to skip the wiring that took me 4 minutes......no thanks, where are my wire strippers
There has got to be some digital processing in there to trick the stock amp into thinking that the stock headunit is still attached.

·
Premium Member
11,211 Posts
drinkmalk said:
There has got to be some digital processing in there to trick the stock amp into thinking that the stock headunit is still attached.
Why would it have to do that? Does the stock amp only work with a singnal from a stock head unit?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Does this mean we can still retain our factory rear speakers?? I just purchased a Pioneer AVIC-D2 unit and just ordered this harness from ebay. I'll post next week after the install and let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
ItalynStylion said:
Why would it have to do that? Does the stock amp only work with a singnal from a stock head unit?
Yes, the stock amp needs some digital signals (aside from the analog audio signals) from the stock head unit to make it work..

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
kenrosejr said:
Does this mean we can still retain our factory rear speakers?? I just purchased a Pioneer AVIC-D2 unit and just ordered this harness from ebay. I'll post next week after the install and let everyone know how it goes.
No, you still have to replace your rear speakers.

Well, good luck. I personally would have waited for some more information.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
VP500 said:

IF (big IF) the harness works, then you will not need to replace your rear speakers. All you'll have to do is use a set of pre-outs on the D2 as input into the stock amp, you will not be using the amp inside the D2. Everything from stock amp and on will be the same.

However, you will at minimum loose fader control.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
VP500 said:

acutally maybe you wont have to accorning to METRA. this have been tested on RAV4. (which also has a 2ohms speakers in the back)

but the main reason this product was made was because of tundra and sequioa. when the head unit was removed the DVD player would not work they claim that it does now.

i have also email the ebay seller (100% feeback) unit have been tested....

wont know completely yet until i test my unit with it.

GUYS WE HAVE TO BUG METRA SO THEY WOULD COME UP WITH SOMETHING FOR OUR CARS (in case this one does not work), THAT WHAT THE TUNDRA FORUM MEMBERS DID IN ORDER TO GET THIS PRODUCT IN PRODUCTION.

KEEP YOU GUY POSTED OF MY OUTCOME....
THANKS

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
hotcracker69 said:
i have email metra again about this harness, (navi owner) they do not know if i will lose the nav voice they want me to try it and let them know.... i guess i will be requesting one for free!!!! i will keep you guys post it.....

actual email_____________________________________

We have not tested nav. radios in the IS300 with our TYTO-01, but any
other circumstance you will lose any features that went through the
radio. Now because the TYTO-01 is digital, you may,.. be able to retain
the nav. voices as the factory amp will stay functioning. I have spoke
with an engineer and he seems very doubtful that it will retain the nav.
voices, but until it is tested, we will never know 100%. If you do try
the TYTO-01, let me know please.

Matt

Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:07 PM
Subject: RE: is300 harness

thanks for the quick response, can you tell me if i will lose any of the
navigation features? my IS300 has a stock navigastion that is known to
need the stock amp in order to function.
your stock nav should still work. the nav unit is connected inline with the output connections of the amplifier. front left amplifier output goes to nav unit, then nav unit output goes to front left speaker. there is also a mute signal from the nav unit that goes to amplifier. the nav until will tell the amplifier to shut up when it's trying to give you a command, and output that command on the front left speaker.

since all those connections are downstream from the amp, that stupid adaptor harness shouldn't mess up your nav.

but seriously...is this really worth it? if you look at that harness you will still need 4 RCA outputs to connect it to your aftermarket HU. not to mention there is still some processing going on in the amplifier so you are not going to get much better sound quality than you would with the stock unit.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
flapperdink said:
your stock nav should still work. the nav unit is connected inline with the output connections of the amplifier. front left amplifier output goes to nav unit, then nav unit output goes to front left speaker. there is also a mute signal from the nav unit that goes to amplifier. the nav until will tell the amplifier to shut up when it's trying to give you a command, and output that command on the front left speaker.

since all those connections are downstream from the amp, that stupid adaptor harness shouldn't mess up your nav.

but seriously...is this really worth it? if you look at that harness you will still need 4 RCA outputs to connect it to your aftermarket HU. not to mention there is still some processing going on in the amplifier so you are not going to get much better sound quality than you would with the stock unit.

is this really worth it?
i think my answer is yes.... i have not gotten an double din in my car because of this reason.... no harness, no to mention how labor intensive it becomes to replace just your head unit. having to pull the back seats out run new cables, and create new waffle for the speakers, and for navi owners it becomes even more labor intensive! relocating the HU to who knows where.

with a harness like this i wont need anyone but myself and one afternoon. i dont even have to look a master color cable sheet. plug and play in less than one hour.

no to forget to mention that most GOOD installer will charge a couple of hundred just to put in a new HU. speakers are mores. this harness can cut a lot of expenses to any owner.

as far as the sound quality not being much better. i am content with the sound quality the current IS has. so if it does not degrade i think i can live with that. i dont pump my music. and dont need 12" woofers....

but this all talk right now. i wont know jack until i actually get this unit in my hand.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts