Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently a volkswagen golf driver :( , and the car is falling apart because of the very liberal use of plastic parts under the hood (2002, made in mexico i think....)....the air pump as well as a few other components just fall right off their brackets and i needed to replace them with METAL brackets and mounts that i fashioned myself to keep the car running.

Anyway, by the time it runs into the ground, i'll be needing a new car, and a used IS300 looks good. Good power, decent space, 4 door, RWD, made by toyota (reliable as hell, my dad drives a 93 camry with over 200,000 miles...no problems at all), comfortable, etc....

Are there any issues i should know about IS300's? What year should i look to buy? I drive automatic now, but i owned a manual 6 speed accord coupe for a few years and can operate a stick with ease. Around how much should i expect to pay for an IS with 30-60,000 miles, and do they have issues with higher mileage?

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
'04 is probably best

·
Registered
346 Posts
Do not worry much about mileage (ex. your dads 1993 Camry), and it's sort of hard to find one 30,000-60,000 miles, because most people would not get sick of cars at that point, especially for an is300? But there are cars in that range for sale but most I seen are salvage titles. If you want one for 30,000-60,000 miles, it's going to run you about nearly $19,000-$22,000, depending on the year. Barely any issues, since it's Toyota. I, too, am a Toyota family. My dad drives a 2006 Toyota Sequoia (no problems, 30,00 on ODO), I currently drive a 1998 Toyota Avalon (no major problems other than parts inside falling apart such as visor mirror and a/c ventilation thingys, nothing MAJOR, its got 139,000 miles on the odo), sister drives a 1998 Toyota Corolla (no major problems on 106,000 on ODO), uncle whom lives with us bought a used 1998 Toyota Camry off a dealer and it sucks (BOO!!!!). It's got 148,000 miles on the ODO, head gasket problem, oil leaks, car stinks, been hit a few times before bought, he GOT HUSTLED (He bought a messed up Camry). See cars that are 10 years old that are Toyota, still running. IS300, oldest one right now is 7 years old, GO FOR IT BRO. I'm buying one too, I'm at the point where I am short a few dollars and the owner is extending my time to make the dollars appear to his face and the car keys in my hands. Might want to check out the For Sale Forum too, great cars are selling there all the time by great IS300 enthusiasts. This site is the gig for knowledge, entertainment, and networking on IS300's. Welcome to the site and good luck with your find. Just so you know, I rejected 12 other IS300's before I made my descision. i also did CRITCAL resrearch on it, trust me I did my blood, sweat and tears for this car. I spoke to many car brokers, car salesmen, private parties, is300 owners, peopel o nthe forum, car mechanics, car enthusiasts, freinds, EVERYONE bro. If you are not doing it like me, then you should, feels SO MUCH BETTER at the end once you get the car, FINALLY. Ahh man I'm living through Heck right now till I get that car. KEEP this in mind though, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND 1) a little to no modifcation is300 (takes the fun and real feel out of the stock is300) 2) stick shift is300 (hard to find a non-modded one because these are fun cars to mod but I managed to find the right one with no mods =), also it is a sports car afterall right? Gotta have that sporty feel), 3) clean title (don't f*** with junk title, im SERIOUS, don't, that ruins a lot of the fun from an is300, you don't want to be driving a car that has a Pontiac generic is300 front bumper on your car). Other than that, good luck with your look and remember, this is a Toyota....these things run up until like 300,000+ miles? Open your eyes and look around, 1984+ Camry and Corolla models are STILL ON THE STREETS, RUNNING. I know that when I finally do get my is300, I hopefully will enjoy it for 5-8 years and still hopes it will run the same as i bought it from day 1.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Only '01's had glitches. Those were all corrected by the following model year.
They're all the same from '02 on up except for small crap like memory seats and one-touch windows. Get an '02 5-speed for best value and highest fun factor. Get an '05 if you want as close to new as you can get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts