Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From my experience the Lexus paint quality has been first class as far as finish and remains glossy through the test of time. I was wondering whether the IS300 paint quality was up to the standards as Lexus since it not built at the primary Lexus facility.
On a side note, I feel the paint quality of my sister's GARAGED Audi A4 2.8 Quattro is HORRIBLE! It's only one year old and already showing conspicuous signs of wear here and there.
I wonder which manufacturers/cars are known for the greatest paint jobs....
Eric...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Lexus paint is the best I've seen. Customer of mine had a 99 750iL, paint chipped horribly and peeled. He just traded it on a 2000 LS400.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
424 Posts
Eric,

I think I am fussy over the paint and have something to share with all of you..

The paint quality of the black window frame is quite below par. It's noticeably much thinner than the rest of the paint. It's so delicate that I have to use a much softer cloth other than Zymol designated towel to buff after the wax application. It is so scratch-sensitive as well.

For the rest of the paint, the finish and the thickness seem to be in tie with ES300. However, there are more paint dusts and some are even on the roof or the door.

I am not sure if it is particular to my car or I am too meticulous enough to spot it.. due to the Zymol application..

Overall, I still find the paint pretty good and up to standard. What is not up to standard may be the craftmanship..

andy

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by AndyL:
Eric,

The paint quality of the black window frame is quite below par. It's noticeably much thinner than the rest of the paint. It's so delicate that I have to use a much softer cloth other than Zymol designated towel to buff after the wax application. It is so scratch-sensitive as well.

For the rest of the paint, the finish and the thickness seem to be in tie with ES300. However, there are more paint dusts and some are even on the roof or the door.

I am not sure if it is particular to my car or I am too meticulous enough to spot it.. due to the Zymol application..

Overall, I still find the paint pretty good and up to standard. What is not up to standard may be the craftmanship..

andy
That's interesting Andy. I guess the only explanation is that the doors are painted on a different assembly line possibly? I wonder if anyone else noticed this, unless you're extremely meticulous to detail
Eric...

·
Registered
424 Posts
EricK,

I would say in general, the inspection and the quality level of the hood, roof or or the trunk lid (major surfaces) are much higher than the doors coz' whatever blemishes on those surfaces are more prominent.

Maybe I am too meticulous to see them.. but in my previous ES300, the paint dusts are more on the door gaps rather than on the actual doors and they are much smaller in size..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Besides, you can't compare GS, IS or ES with LS as the quality of the paint finish of LS is much much higher. The inspection is more stringent.

I have known a person who works on detailing with Zymol and one day we went to a Lexus showroom and he told me that the LS paint is 10% higher than GS whereas GS is 20% higher than ES and ES's paint finish is a bit better than Camry. At that time IS hasn't been out..

·
Registered
861 Posts
what color car do you have?

Martin

Black/Ivory IS300

Eric,

andy

·
Registered
424 Posts
Silver. I guess it's a color where the paint imperfections are hard to be seen and .. to be inspected..

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well since you have a Silver IS300 I think you really can't notice it (or maybe your paint isn't as soft as black). Since my IS300 is black the quality is the same as around the window's.. The paint on my black IS300 is very scratch-sensitive throughout the hole [email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected][email protected]
. I have to use certain wash cloth and a certain shammie to dry my car. If not then i have to re wax my car to get all the scratches out. I thought this was normal but i know now that it's not.

Martin <-----very mad
and upset
that i have to go through this everytime i wash my car.

Black/Ivory IS300

andy

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Martin,

Yes, I won't notice the paint dusts unless I dry, pre-wax and wax the car.

I would suggest you go to
http://www.zymol.com where they have tips how to wash a car and what things you should avoid..

Hope it helps.

Andy

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Stephen:
Lexus paint is the best I've seen. Customer of mine had a 99 750iL, paint chipped horribly and peeled. He just traded it on a 2000 LS400.
I always thought BMW's had nice paint jobs from my parent's experience... It doesn't make sense for a 99 750iL ($95K car) to have paint chipping and peeling after one year. ... hmmmmmm...
Eric...

·
Registered
343 Posts
AndyL,

From what you've said, it doesnt seem as though you have the paint-chipping-on-the-hood problem that I've read so much about from the other forum members.. is this true ?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by chromaplast:
yeah, its true
anyway, how much would it cost to get new high quality paint job for the whole car? 2k?3k? more?
It totally depends... 2K-3K is possible on up to $10K+....
Eric....

·
Registered
87 Posts
I don't know about long term quality(chipping, etc) but Cadillac has the best paint job out the factory, hands down. If you don't believe it just check out their white diamond and cranberry colors

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by lyndon_h:
I don't know about long term quality(chipping, etc) but Cadillac has the best paint job out the factory, hands down. If you don't believe it just check out their white diamond and cranberry colors
That's interesting... I would never have guessed and would have suspected that some of the British Automakers would have the best... Jaguar's British Racing Green... (fantastic work)....I know that Rolls Royce & Bentley is famous for their paintwork...
Eric....

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
424 Posts
No, I don't have the paint-chipping problem. Not sure if it is b/c I drive slower and deliberately extend my distance from the cars in the front (but I didn't tailgate either), there aren't not many stone chips. In fact, the stone chips on the hood and the bumpers are barely seen and the # is a small finite value. They are noticeably much smaller than the ones on my previous ES300 as well.

Andy

·
Registered
258 Posts
lyndon, I had a Cadillac. The paint is pretty good, but nowhere near as good as the paint on a Lexus, Audi or Mercedes.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

·
Registered
17 Posts
AndyL, what do you think of Zymol? Never used it, heard it was good, especially on distressed paint. Always been partial to Meguiars...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts