Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
The pictures and info on how to access the O2 sensor connector by removing the seat and loosening the carpet were very helpful. I successfully replaced my bank 2 sensor 2 with the Denso OEM model (Denso 234-4517). I got it on Amazon for $55 vs $195 list. Glad I didn't go to the dealer.
Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Hey longnights, I edited the diy to add that the battery negative should be disconnected for at least 90 seconds before disconnecting any SRS/airbag connector(yellow connectors), otherwise deployment is possible. Also this job can be done without removing the seat by moving the seat forward and up all the way. Just an fyi.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was replacing my bank 2 sensor 2 oxygen sensor and I realized the actual sensor was rusted onto the exhaust manifold. It will not budge and the exposed part underneath my car is completely ruptured. Is this safe to drive with? Will the oxygen sensor become a lot more overheated than normal?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2002 Lexus IS300 oxygen sensor (P0161 code) replaced with Denso 234-4517 oxygen sensor from Amazon (cost $50). This was nice because I didn't want to cut and splice wires. Also needed 7/8 inch oxygen sensor socket.

Old sensor can be removed easily without WD40. My sensor was not rusted. I just used elbow grease and took care not to over torque if sensor was not coming loose. I also removed the black plastic panel covering the wires to allow me to remove the rubber seal protecting interior from exterior.

For disconnecting wires from interior, move the front passenger seat all the way forward and raise height of chair. The black air duct can be removed to allow room to get to the wire immediately underneath the carpet. After disconnecting the wire, I easily pulled the wires out after removing the black rubber seal separating the exterior and interior of the car. I didn't have to unbolt the chair, which was nice.

Before installing the new sensor, I disconnected the negative battery cable to reset the check engine light. I applied anti-seizing goop to the threads on sensor taking care not to get goop on the sensor. Sensor was installed. Firm torque was applied with the oxygen sensor socket being careful not to over torque. Voila! I put everything back together. Car turned on and check engine off immediately. Drove car around for ten minutes and still fine. Hopefully this will last another 180k :)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts