Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I OWN A 2001 IS BLACK/BLACK E-SHIFT. GREAT CAR. PLANNING TO KEEP IT UNTIL IT DIES AND THEN RESUSITATE IT BACK TO LIFE. I LOVE THIS CAR SO MUCH THAT I DEMAND THE BEST FOR IT. DURING MY OWNERSHIP, AS WE ALL KNOW ABOUT IS300 PAINT QUALITY, MY BUMPERS AND HOOD HAVE ROCK CHIPS. IM PLANNING TO REPAINT THEM AND USE 3M INVI. FILM/BRA. ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPER. WITH THIS PRODUCT.

HOW MUCH WILL THE PAINT JOB GO FOR?

I WAS PLANNING (MAYBE) TO REPAINT THE CAR USING BMW PAINT AND CLEAR COAT. IS IT WORTH IT. WHAT PRICE RANGE IM I LOOKING AT?

ANYONE KNOWS WHERE I CAN GET TOP CLASS PAINT JOB IN NYC,NASSAU, WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, NORTHERN NJ/NYC AREA.

HOW ABOUT THE 3M INV BRA. CAN I INSTALL IT RIGHT AFTER THE PAINT JOB OR IS THERE A TIME PERIOD I MUST WAIT FOR PAINT TO CURE. PLEASE REPLY WITH SHOP LOCATION AND TEL # AND PRICES. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
^^ :lol:

I think he's trying to tell you to lay off the CAPS. :lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
some people on here have a problem reading with the caps lock on, they think your screeming at them.

if your going to just get the front painted you should just get the whole damn car repainted. unless that was your game plan.

price=?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what u think about bmw paint. price for whole car paint job with out bending over plus clear coat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
i'm getting the 3m stuff on my car when it gets delivered. I talked to a bunch of the BMW guys and they have 3m's clear bra (from XPel), and they say its awesome. The clear bra will cost you about $650 installed if you want to cover lights, hood, bumper, and mirrors from an XPel certified dealer.

Now an entire paint job will cost you over $3k done right. I hope you do realize though that as many complaints as we have about Lexus paint, its hands down better than the paint found on Infiniti/Nissan vehicles. Someone stated here that the paint softness is due to environmental regulations, and I wouldn't doubt that, though I can't verify it. If thats the case, don't expect your new paint job to be much better sans the multiple layers of clear coat you might ask for. Generally all the top car companies and paintshops will use PPG or BASF paint, which is even more reason for you not to expect your aftermarket paint job to be much better than the Lexus OEM.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
I don't think BMW paint is going to be any better... they will probably use PPG paint or something. With new regulations, all new paints are not lead based anymore. That is why the paint is softer and chips easier.
using the invisi-bra will help trememdously, but the piece on the hood only goes up so far, you will sooner or later find that one rock that made it a little further up :eek:

I would recommend letting the paint cure on the car before applying the invisi-bra. I am not sure how long that will take, but that's a question you should ask the painter. :D

·
Registered
4,991 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Aftermarket paint can sometimes be better. The paint on my aftermarket bumper has stood up to more abuse than my factory bumper. I know of another person that got his hood painted and it hasn't chipped since. So as long as your body shop uses good materials, you have a good chance of having more durable paint.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did it perfectly match the same shade of the remainder of your car

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wat about maaco, is their top class paint worth it.

how much did u payed for ur bumper job

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I got a pretty good price through my body shop. I paid 80.00. It had to be painted a second time and it didn't match as good as the first time, but overall, it's very difficult to tell.

·
8,849 Posts
Body shop paint is much more durable than the OEM paint.
I know, my 2001 IS had work done on the front, where it was then repainted. The new paint stood the abuse much, AND I MEAN MUCH BETTER! No huge paint chips, nothing.

BTW, I don't think body shops use Lexus or BMW paint. They just use their own with color-matching technology.

·
Registered
197 Posts
MrMark said:
Take your car to Maaco if you own a POS.

MannyBlaze said:
wat about maaco, is their top class paint worth it.

how much did u payed for ur bumper job
never ever go to Maaco- ya unless u own a POS that u don't care bout! :lol: anyhow- if u're shopping around for a solid paint job- you may want to find out what Volvo uses- i know the clear coat they use is made by Sikkens- it's arguably the best out there- very tough, very shiney..if you see a volvo up close, you will notice that their paint is very good. My body shop guy thinks that Volvo paint is pretty much the best too. just my $.02 8)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am a DuPont Manufacter Paint rep. I have worked DuPont over 11yrs. I am in and out of body shops ever day in the SE. There is no such thing as BMW paint. All OEM's purchase their paint from a manufacture like DuPont or PPG. BMW uses 82% DuPont Performance Coatings products at their various plants. BMW uses primarily Spies Hecker and Standox(DuPont owned European Brands). The paint at a plant is totaly different from aftermarket products. Plants bake at over 400 degrees (we would melt the plastic and electronics).

In the body shop line, DuPont Performance Coatings has 4 Brands from better to worse:
1. Spies Hecker
1. Standox
2. Chromasystem (Chromabase & Chromapremier)
3. Nason
Any of the top three will out perform durability and looks if applied by a proffesional who knows what they are doing. Any time a bumper is painted demand they use flex additive to the primer, sealer, and clear. If they don't, it will crack and shatter if you get hit in a parking situation. Of course, there are other good brands of paint out there. I show partiality to my product offering.

To answer your question on cost, you get what you pay for. To paint a hood, bumper, and to blend color on both fenders(for color match) it would cost any where from $600-$1,000. People don't realize the most expensive process of building a vehicle is the painting process. Roughly 1/3 of the cost of the vehicle's price because of robotics and such as...

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
PS. A good all over paint job, if the car has no dents, would range from
$1,500-$2,500. Don't pay any less. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

·
Registered
197 Posts
cabot said:
I am a DuPont Manufacter Paint rep. I have worked DuPont over 11yrs. I am in and out of body shops ever day in the SE. There is no such thing as BMW paint. All OEM's purchase their paint from a manufacture like DuPont or PPG. BMW uses 82% DuPont Performance Coatings products at their various plants. BMW uses primarily Spies Hecker and Standox(DuPont owned European Brands). The paint at a plant is totaly different from aftermarket products. Plants bake at over 400 degrees (we would melt the plastic and electronics).

In the body shop line, DuPont Performance Coatings has 4 Brands from better to worse:
1. Spies Hecker
1. Standox
2. Chromasystem (Chromabase & Chromapremier)
3. Nason
Any of the top three will out perform durability and looks if applied by a proffesional who knows what they are doing. Any time a bumper is painted demand they use flex additive to the primer, sealer, and clear. If they don't, it will crack and shatter if you get hit in a parking situation. Of course, there are other good brands of paint out there. I show partiality to my product offering.

To answer your question on cost, you get what you pay for. To paint a hood, bumper, and to blend color on both fenders(for color match) it would cost any where from $600-$1,000. People don't realize the most expensive process of building a vehicle is the painting process. Roughly 1/3 of the cost of the vehicle's price because of robotics and such as...

Hope this helps.
uh...yah...that's wut i MEANT to say too... :lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.