Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fella's,
I been waiting very patienly for my beloved IS300 to come, but then all the sudden my friends are convincing me into buying a WRX. It's way faster, better handeling, and around $10,000 cheaper than the IS. But of course it is not as 'Pimp' as the IS. Money is not that big of an issue but I wouldn't mind having a $500 a month payment verses a $700 a month payment.

What do you guys think and what would you do in my situation?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Test drive for yourself, and remember--->you should be happy at what you buy regardless to what people say(even when you over paid) and speed sometimes not always everything.

·
Registered
978 Posts
This topic has been beaten to death. But if you've come here looking for opinions, of course you'll probably get more IS 300 votes than WRX. But go to a Subaru board, and you'll get the opposite.

It all comes down to what YOU want, not your friends, or other members of IS300.net. But, if you want a car that's "Pimp" and performs like a WRX, I'd say wait for the Mitsu Evo VII, if it comes here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The price difference between a WRX and an IS300 is not really 10K, but around 2-3K. U should be able to get a base model IS for 28K, and the WRX should be around 25-26K with similar options (since it's still difficult to pay less than MSRP for the WRX).

But the best advice would be to test drive both cars yourself. It's u who's gonna be driving the car, not your friends or anyone else. Good luck.

·
11,061 Posts
I'll just chime in too...test drive and decide on what YOU want to live with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll decide for you.

Get the WRX. Awesome car. I drove it and loved it. That AWD and 5sp with Turbo can't be beat. Then again no luxo equipment inside and pretty jane like design. I think if you are the type that doesn't want the car everyone has. There's IS300 on every corner in my hood.

WRX is the car to beat. I do put my cars on the track at Homestead and Sebring. WRX would be my choice. I don't think the IS300 manual could even come close to touching WRX.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would have gotten the WRX .... but, then the plethora of Check Engine lights started popping up on the U.S. spec WRXs (well-documented on the Scooby boards.) Yes, the CE light problems do not appear to affect driveability. But, I'm not interested in driving down to the dealer every few weeks, so he can check it, turn off the light, and assure me everything is fine. SOA's apparent reluctance to publicly address the issue also concerned me.

I ended up putting a deposit down on a 2002 IS300.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Posted by 5spIS300:
I'll decide for you.
Get the WRX. Awesome car. I drove it and loved it. That AWD and 5sp with Turbo can't be beat. Then again no luxo equipment inside and pretty jane like design. I think if you are the type that doesn't want the car everyone has. There's IS300 on every corner in my hood.

WRX is the car to beat. I do put my cars on the track at Homestead and Sebring. WRX would be my choice. I don't think the IS300 manual could even come close to touching WRX.

5spIS300,

Haha...great reply...I feel the same way.

jraccord,

Yeah...I really like the WRX. But it's more of a take it to the autocross, road course, wax import racers saturday night kind of car. If you want a chillin pimp ride...the manual tranny IS300 will suit you fine.

If you are into a sedan for performance WRX...for the pimp, the IS300.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Make sure you take each car on an extended test drive, before you decide. My Lexus guy was really cool. I had the IS for an entire afternoon tossing it around, climning hills, etc. The scooby dealer was also pretty nice with the WRX. I had it for about 3 hours trying to listen for anything that would piss me off. The WRX is not as plush as the IS, but a turboed AWD car is cool. I think the frequency of the CEL reports have gone down, not sure if SOA has a fix yet. If you want something to blow your mind - try an Audi S4. I took a hit from the AWD bi-turbo bong. I was hooked. I have an IS, but I'm waiting for the new S4. Blah, blah, blah.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
You definitely need to test drive both. I think comments like way faster and better handling are a little off though.

The Subaru's 220hp is a lot different from the IS's 215 - turbo cars have very different power characteristics from N/A cars. Trust me, my miata is WAY faster than my IS, but around town, the IS is so much easier to drive comfortably and still drive fast. As for handling, if you discount the AWD aspect, I think the IS has the WRX beat in that department. Again, AWD is a completely different animal.

You're going to have to drive them - don't take anyone's word for it. And, the IS is SO much nicer looking.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I really don't even think these 2 cars should be compared. It's like trying to compare the Type-R and the IS300. I have both cars and it's not even a question. The WRX is very cheap inside and out dated. I drove one the other day. Yes, AWD and Turbo sounds good but these things are in a very unsolid car. The car just feels and looks cheap!! Give me a fully loaded IS300 ALL DAY long please. If you want perfomance, get one of the new body style Integra Type-R's. THAT's are race car. Just my .02

·
Registered
348 Posts
I would go for an EVO if the spec are the same (276 hp)..but WRX is not bad,less people would notice it though(I mean not like the IS300). It depends but, if I have to do it again - I would choose WRX, just because of Handling.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Posted by Webmaster:
As for handling, if you discount the AWD aspect, I think the IS has the WRX beat in that department.
Webmaster,

Hmmm...not sure what you mean, but I would say that in a road course and at a auto-x, the WRX has the advantage in the handling aspect.

Posted by YELLLEX:
I really don't even think these 2 cars should be compared. It's like trying to compare the Type-R and the IS300. I have both cars and it's not even a question. The WRX is very cheap inside and out dated. I drove one the other day. Yes, AWD and Turbo sounds good but these things are in a very unsolid car. The car just feels and looks cheap!!
YELLLEX,

WRX and IS300 truely are in different performance/luxury categories.

I also test drove the WRX. The car "felt" unstable...but I guarantee that it is stable with the 4 wheel drive. I also think that the interior/exteriour is not "luxurious".

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Nah, Wakefield Subaru in MA is selling the WRX for $2000+ off sticker. You can get a loaded WRX for $22,500. In fact, here in MA, most dealers have lots of the cars on the lot (or course not as many as Lexus has IS300s sitting on their lots).

Originally posted by droskie:
The price difference between a WRX and an IS300 is not really 10K, but around 2-3K. U should be able to get a base model IS for 28K, and the WRX should be around 25-26K with similar options (since it's still difficult to pay less than MSRP for the WRX).

But the best advice would be to test drive both cars yourself. It's u who's gonna be driving the car, not your friends or anyone else. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
I'm not sure the WRX is a great track car stock - I saw one on the track, and it rolls a LOT, plus those narrow stock all-season tires would squeal like crazy on the track.
The car also dumped its power steering fluid on the paddock too, so that didn't give a good impression.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by Unicron:
Webmaster,
Hmmm...not sure what you mean, but I would say that in a road course and at a auto-x, the WRX has the advantage in the handling aspect.
I think what he means is subjective handling apart from raw numbers. F-bodies are also monsters at AutoX's, but rarely has anyone called one "communicative," "tossable," or a "joy to drive."

The WRX is fast on an AutoX course because it has a performance (read: firm) tune, and it gets the power to the ground, allowing you to get on the gas much quicker and more aggressively coming out of corners. The F-bodies are fast because of the wide rims that allows fat treads to be shoehorned stock, and it has that live axle that doesn't ever go into positive camber on the smooth AutoX course/track.

Like the Miata, the IS's forte is communicative steering and RWD "tossability" through tight, linked turns. But the IS is handicapped by its performance-compromised-by-luxury suspension (read: relatively soft) tune.

IMHO, an IS w/the suspension tune will feel better than the WRX at anywhere other than running at 10/10ths. I would crown w/o hesitation the WRX w/the higher ultimate capability if not for the fact that the WRX is always going to be nose-heavy. (F4 hanging completely in front of the front axle.) That fact gives me reservation about both the WRX and EVO VII. Now, a mid-engine AWD car would be truly something.

Lancias, anybody?

[ May 30, 2001: Message edited by: DtEW ]

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another down fall of the WRX is that there are NO AIRBAGS, what kind of crap is that. I thought majority of cars nowadays come with that safety feature, but I guess not.
Like I said, the WRX is just SO affordable, it's like cakes, with the IS300, I would have to skim down a bit on spending.
NOTE: I'm only 23 working for only a year now. Of course, if I do get the WRX, I would put madd exterior/engine mods on that car.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think people also automatically assume AWD handles better than 2WD drive. The fact is that you have to really know your stuff in order to get AWD to go fast. I had a GSX before, and I know how difficult it is to get that thing cornered at its limit. AWD is almost going to have that understeer feel of front wheel drive when applying power, so unless you knows how to drift well, you will less likely to outperform a RWD car (or even some front wheel drive) on a track. I think the best way to drive an AWD car is to carry alot of speed into the corner, trail braking more than you would with rear wheel drive and get the tail end out just a bit. You then apply the power to get your car into a controlled drift, and hence you are going to be faster than other cars.
But seriously, how many people can really do this? Also, this is one of the reasons why AWD has lower skidpad number (or at least with the way the magazine test the skidpad figures).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Who says WRX has no air bags? It has them just like any new car, and it even has side air bags in the front seats just like the IS300.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts