Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the grille on my is300 is getting alittle faded, and im thinking about repainting them matte black or kinda silverish? do any of you guys have this done? I wanted to see how some of it comes out.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
the grille on my is300 is getting alittle faded, and im thinking about repainting them matte black or kinda silverish? do any of you guys have this done? I wanted to see how some of it comes out.
If you want to paint it matt black, plastidip dip.

If you want it silver, sand it down and paint it with primer, paint color (silver), clearcoat.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I actually did a couple at my dads shop get a grey scoch brite and go at it then primer if you have chips, wet sand with 800 then spray what ever color you want if you have a 2001 you'll need to tape up he emblem 2002 up u could take it out and would only have to tape up the chrome ring. I did my 2001 grill in black a 2002+ grill in black with silver glitter and an altezza mesh grill this way

·
Registered
378 Posts
i did mine in a toyota black color. i sanded everything i could get at. pain in the ass but was worth it. i primered it then sprayed the paint on, i also painted the back of the grill with primer only just to make sure i got in to all the holes. so far its lasted good

dont mind the rust on the hood and the marks on the bumper the car needs a paint job bad and a hood, funds are just not there for that right now

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Don't paint it silver. It's going to look completely ghetto once it starts chipping. Stick with black.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i did mine in a toyota black color. i sanded everything i could get at. pain in the ass but was worth it. i primered it then sprayed the paint on, i also painted the back of the grill with primer only just to make sure i got in to all the holes. so far its lasted good
I noticed you painted that little chrome trim too, looks great. I nvr really liked the oe chrome trim anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah i wasnt a fan of the chrome trim
Yah chrome or silver in my opinion wouldn't look great honestly. When it comes to painting car parts I'm all about sanding primer paint and then clear coat...however, when it comes to a part like the oem grille with all those little grooves and what not I just spray painted mind flat black and it turned out perfect. I eventually replaced mine with an altezza grill that I got used that had some rock chips in it and was a glossy black to begin with. I spray painted that flat back and it turned out amazing and looks much better. Also if you spray paint the bottom grille your whole front end will look so much cleaner. You can paint the cowl and wiper blades too for an added effect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts