Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a good cause, and doesn't take long to sign up nor to download and install this tiny client.

It will not impact your computer performance... basically what it does is run quietly in the background, using your CPU when it isn't being used... (Clock cylces) by taking this unsused power and mathcing it w/ that of other computers all over the world, we essentiall becomse part of the worlds largest and most powerfull supercomputer.
Read below:
The United Devices Cancer Research Project is asking you to volunteer your PC to help process molecular research being conducted by the Department of Chemistry at the University of Oxford in England and the National Foundation for Cancer Research. To participate, you simply download a very small, no cost, non-invasive software program that works like a screensaver: it runs when your computer isn't being used, and processes research until you need your machine. Your computer never leaves your desk, and the project never interrupts your usual PC use.

There is no cost to participate and no impact on your computer use. The project software cannot detect or transfer anything on your machine but project-specific information. It just allows your computer to screen molecules that may be developed into drugs to fight cancer. Each individual computer analyzes a few molecules and then sends the results back over the Internet for further research. This project is anticipated to be the largest computational chemistry project ever undertaken and represents a genuine hope to find a better way to fight cancer.

The computational power to perform research of this scale is only available through the generosity of individuals like you.
More info here

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea, except seti is for alien research... i think your efforts would be much more usefull to society w/ this program.

basically it takes compounds and molecules etc and tries to match it w/ target receptor sites. A lab could not do in 10 years what this thing can accomplish in mere days.

·
Chocolate Goodness
34,363 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
yea, except seti is for alien research... i think your efforts would be much more usefull to society w/ this program.

basically it takes compounds and molecules etc and tries to match it w/ target receptor sites. A lab could not do in 10 years what this thing can accomplish in mere days.
Yes, I knew about Seti. I lived in Pto Rco for a year and visited the radiotelescope a few times. I meant the concept are similar.

Sounds interesting, and if it can help, why not. I'll give it a try from my home computer.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
get off my back, it will be unstickied by the end of the day... better that "geoff's Law" which was up for 4 months.

·
Commander In Beef
25,546 Posts
:lol: WTF
That's something my dad would say LOL

For example:

Alex: "Dad, I'm gonna go out and get a haircut."
Dad: "Why don't you get them ALL cut? HAR!"
:wink:

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
s0y I'm proud to see you're contributing to this! I've been a member ever since distributed.net's rc5 effort completed about 3 months ago. My username is webguyz on the UD site, done about 50,000 points now I guess.

I'm already on a team, but I hope more people here will join and participate -- it takes no effort people! Just f-ing do it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
9 Participants
s0yb0mb
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing