Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I've been lurking through these forums for a few years and seen a lot of great work with na-t builds. I figured its time for me to take a crack at it!
I have a 2001 IS300 auto trans with goals of around 400 wrhp. I have some experience with carbureted engines as I also have a built '73 camaro. Kind of new to the turbo game. I basically wanted to get your guys' opinions on my plan and see if you guys think I'm going in the right direction. My budget is around 4-6 grand. Also if im missing anything or overlooking anything please let me know! So far this is what I have planned

Cxracing Turbo kit
RC fuel Injectors 550cc
Walboro 255 Fuel pump
Supra TT Head gasket
SRT Valve body upgrade
Arp head studs
Tranny cooler
Emanage ultimate PnP
Full custom Exhaust
Oil feed lines/fittings (because I heard the ones with the kit are a joke)

I know I'm missing a lot so please feel free to comment! Thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know some folks do get near your power goals on stock internals with the TT head gasket but personally it would make me nervous.

I would look carefully at the waste gate and BOV in the kit and consider replacing them with something better. You wouldn't want one of those to fail and your motor go boom because I don't think you will have much room for error on 15 year old GE internals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know some folks do get near your power goals on stock internals with the TT head gasket but personally it would make me nervous.

I would look carefully at the waste gate and BOV in the kit and consider replacing them with something better. You wouldn't want one of those to fail and your motor go boom because I don't think you will have much room for error on 15 year old GE internals.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah you do have a point about the waste gate and BOV in the kit. I would probably upgrade to some good stuff after I get it in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
890 Posts
My budget is around 4-6 grand. Also if im missing anything or overlooking anything please let me know! So far this is what I have planned

Cxracing Turbo kit
RC fuel Injectors 550cc
Walbro 255 Fuel pump
Supra TT Head gasket
SRT Valve body upgrade
Arp head studs
Tranny cooler
Emanage ultimate PnP
Full custom Exhaust
Oil feed lines/fittings (because I heard the ones with the kit are a joke)
1) You'll probably be fine for a little while with the CX turbo, but I personally wouldn't keep it. Some have good experience, but I'd want quality name behind "moving" parts (turbo, BOV, wg...). You can find a good turbo later either new/used for an acceptable price.

2) I'd be wary of the SRT valvebody upgrade. Aluminum rods are not the correct way to build a transmission. Even with a cooler, the rods can damage your trans. Mitsuguy can verify, and he'll probably tell you of the people who have broken their transmissions with 400 or less hp. I'd look into a) sending your valvebody to Jeff Tsai and getting it properly built or b) dropping your trans and shimming the accumulators yourself.

Yes, I know sending the trans to a place takes time and isn't the cheapest way, but if you can get ahold of him, he does it correctly. As far as shimming the accumulators yourself, Mitsuguy has been pushing a lot of power on an auto (a650e) with the shims for awhile now.

What is your suspension setup? Do you have any additions there? It makes a world of difference over the stock suspension.

Otherwise, you look to be off to a good start. Just remember, there will always be unanticipated costs. 4-6k is a realistic budget and you could end up closer to the 6k mark.

Reactions: Mesmurize

·
Registered
664 Posts
Ive given a lot of trail and error feedback on the CX kit within some of the treads that relate to that kit - learn from my mistakes lol I was very informative on everything and to be honest I think ive had the most experience with that kit. However, ive changed a lot of things since then since the goals with my car changed.

6k is a good start if you are doing most of the work yourself, just be prepared - things will add up quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1) You'll probably be fine for a little while with the CX turbo, but I personally wouldn't keep it. Some have good experience, but I'd want quality name behind "moving" parts (turbo, BOV, wg...). You can find a good turbo later either new/used for an acceptable price.

2) I'd be wary of the SRT valvebody upgrade. Aluminum rods are not the correct way to build a transmission. Even with a cooler, the rods can damage your trans. Mitsuguy can verify, and he'll probably tell you of the people who have broken their transmissions with 400 or less hp. I'd look into a) sending your valvebody to Jeff Tsai and getting it properly built or b) dropping your trans and shimming the accumulators yourself.

Yes, I know sending the trans to a place takes time and isn't the cheapest way, but if you can get ahold of him, he does it correctly. As far as shimming the accumulators yourself, Mitsuguy has been pushing a lot of power on an auto (a650e) with the shims for awhile now.

What is your suspension setup? Do you have any additions there? It makes a world of difference over the stock suspension.

Otherwise, you look to be off to a good start. Just remember, there will always be unanticipated costs. 4-6k is a realistic budget and you could end up closer to the 6k mark.
Thanks for replying!
Do you think i would be better off going with the full SRT Turbo kit? Or just going full aristo with my current tranny?
I was thinking of just opening the tranny myself, but i couldn't find a good place that sells VB upgrades to my tranny. Also in regards to suspension i have it lowered on megan racing coilovers, megan racing strut tower bars and godspeed sway bars and it has a nice little tight ride there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive given a lot of trail and error feedback on the CX kit within some of the treads that relate to that kit - learn from my mistakes lol I was very informative on everything and to be honest I think ive had the most experience with that kit. However, ive changed a lot of things since then since the goals with my car changed.

6k is a good start if you are doing most of the work yourself, just be prepared - things will add up quickly.
IS-ZERO! I've seen your cxracing turbo kit thread when i was lurking and it's kind of crazy that you would reply to mine now lol. What have you done to it now? Do you think 400 rwhp is doable on that setup?

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I've been daily driving a CXracing+GreddyEMU setup for two weeks now.

x2 don't stay VVTi GE internals, its just too finely engineered for the OE power level, it does not have head room for a tuning issue/muprhy's law. My clutch lets out right around the same time the wastegate starts to open, so my engine does not get to see the stress/trauma of moving the car at X power- I'd be curious to beat on it with a new clutch and see what goes first (maybe the w55...)

Your in good hands IS-ZERO being here.

·
Registered
664 Posts
IS-ZERO! I've seen your cxracing turbo kit thread when i was lurking and it's kind of crazy that you would reply to mine now lol. What have you done to it now? Do you think 400 rwhp is doable on that setup?[/QUOTE

No problem- Glad I could give you some clairty on the whole process. Keep in mind these are my opinions and feedback from going through the process start to finishh... everyone will have there own individual input.

Well a lot has changed LOL. My ringlands took a dump on me at 330whp and thus the rebuild started! The car ran very well, but i noticed i was getting a lot of blow by and crankcase pressure..... lot of white smoke on start ups and random take off from stop lights. I had the car towed to my shop to do a compression check and sure enough 4 cly were toast. Lucky I had some reserve money on the side to get the process started with the rebuild-
PTE6262 turbo
GTE internals
GTE headgasket
ARP headstuds
ACL bearings
New custom catch can
Cleaned all piping and intercooler
New piston rings etc etc .. My goal now is to hit 400whp-420whp and i may pour some E85 in the tank and do some dual map tuning.

To answer your question.. Yes i do think 400whp is possible with the right fuel set up and tuning. However, I wouldnt push the car that far on stock internals (thats just me).

I dont daily the car anymore as ive bought myself a new daily driver and im using the car as more of a fun here and there nice weather weekend car. Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IS-ZERO! I've seen your cxracing turbo kit thread when i was lurking and it's kind of crazy that you would reply to mine now lol. What have you done to it now? Do you think 400 rwhp is doable on that setup?[/QUOTE

No problem- Glad I could give you some clairty on the whole process. Keep in mind these are my opinions and feedback from going through the process start to finishh... everyone will have there own individual input.

Well a lot has changed LOL. My ringlands took a dump on me at 330whp and thus the rebuild started! The car ran very well, but i noticed i was getting a lot of blow by and crankcase pressure..... lot of white smoke on start ups and random take off from stop lights. I had the car towed to my shop to do a compression check and sure enough 4 cly were toast. Lucky I had some reserve money on the side to get the process started with the rebuild-
PTE6262 turbo
GTE internals
GTE headgasket
ARP headstuds
ACL bearings
New custom catch can
Cleaned all piping and intercooler
New piston rings etc etc .. My goal now is to hit 400whp-420whp and i may pour some E85 in the tank and do some dual map tuning.

To answer your question.. Yes i do think 400whp is possible with the right fuel set up and tuning. However, I wouldnt push the car that far on stock internals (thats just me).

I dont daily the car anymore as ive bought myself a new daily driver and im using the car as more of a fun here and there nice weather weekend car. Hope this helps
Nice Man! i wish we had e-85 here. Almost like a cheat code lol.I appreciate the help man. I think i have a good baseline on what i want to do now. Good luck with your build man. let me know what numbers you start pulling.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been daily driving a CXracing+GreddyEMU setup for two weeks now.

x2 don't stay VVTi GE internals, its just too finely engineered for the OE power level, it does not have head room for a tuning issue/muprhy's law. My clutch lets out right around the same time the wastegate starts to open, so my engine does not get to see the stress/trauma of moving the car at X power- I'd be curious to beat on it with a new clutch and see what goes first (maybe the w55...)

Your in good hands IS-ZERO being here.
How do you like it? Are you running stock internals? What is a safe hp range in your opinion that would be reliable? What power are you putting out at what psi? did you do the Supra TT HG? I saw your post as well in the same cxracing thread as IS-ZERO. Thanks for the input man.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Thanks for replying!
Do you think i would be better off going with the full SRT Turbo kit? Or just going full aristo with my current tranny?
I was thinking of just opening the tranny myself, but i couldn't find a good place that sells VB upgrades to my tranny.
SRT's kit isn't a bad option if you have the cash and patience to wait. If you have the know-how, you can piece a kit together for less money and in less time. Make sure to upgrade engine internals. Some say 400whp is the safe point, but others have had issues around 330whp (see above posts). I personally wouldn't take a chance. I'd recommend TT internals with GE headgasket. Other people will have different opinions. At "low" boost (less than 400hp), the GE headgasket will be okay.

As far as opening the trans yourself, the VB upgrade is very simple. The shims don't need to be anything fancy. I'll pm you with a good read on how to do so. Honestly, Mitsuguy used a bunch of coins.

·
Registered
265 Posts
4-6k probably won't cut it unfortunately

Do you plan on running the stock fuel rail? If you want to run a fuel return you'll either have to tap your existing rail or buy a new one. Would recommend a FPR as well. If you have not done the timing belt/water pump you might as well while you have everything apart. Unless done so recently, I would buy a GE gasket kit. Like above posts mention, you're probably a ticking time bomb running that kind of power with stock internals. You might be ok, but you also might waste a lot of money blowing it up...

Then theres things like moving the ABS box, unless the manifold that it comes with does not require you to do that. Not sure if the manifold has the vband flange or a 4 bolt flange for the wastegate so you might have to change that depending on the wastegate you buy.

Gauges, suspension, wheels, tires, beer...it adds up :) I planned on using the stock internals too but I decided that it was not worth spending all of this money and guess if its gonna blow up or not.

edit: oh yeah and tapping your oil pan for the oil return line from the turbo. I'm sure theres a million other things im forgetting but its best to do it right the first time!

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
How do you like it? Are you running stock internals? What is a safe hp range in your opinion that would be reliable? What power are you putting out at what psi? did you do the Supra TT HG? I saw your post as well in the same cxracing thread as IS-ZERO. Thanks for the input man.
Yes, stock internals that had already been exposed to 9psi via Tnetics kit.

IMO around 300hp is possible, but even then something can go pop. Stick with the CX kit's 8psi and a really good tune.

I tuned the CXracing prototype IS300 kit, from what I know it still gets beat on by the owner in Texas. I tuned it with a progressively richer mix towards redline, and tuned above the boost rating a bunch of fuel and timing retard to kind of act like a rev-limiter if it over-boosted.

the 40mm turbosmart wastegate is a bolt-on upgrade for the wastegate (CX already a vband flange). I'm a fan of synchronic BOVs, the CX is a greddy flange I believe so there are adapters for that. I kind of want to try the synchronic wastegate, but turbosmart is a very proven company... decisions decisions....

Reactions: c1L

·
Registered
1 Posts
IS-ZERO! I've seen your cxracing turbo kit thread when i was lurking and it's kind of crazy that you would reply to mine now lol. What have you done to it now? Do you think 400 rwhp is doable on that setup?
I knew a guy that got 350rwkw out if his 2jz na t and that was pretty maxed out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts