Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read all the horror stories on this site about the IS300 in the snow. With the 2002 coming out with a manual tranny, does it make sense that snow driving will be much better?? I have never owned a manual, so I don't know. Any insights on this are greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The main reason why the IS sucks in snow so much is because the stock 17" tires were all summer-only. And I don't think a manual will perform that much better (if at all) over the auto.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Oh, and conisering you're in IL, I would recommend getting snow tires for the winter. It snows here in MD, but it's too infrequent to warrant me purchasing another set of tires. The few times it did snow, I either took the subway, or drove very, very carefully.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
Snow driving is a little more difficult in a manual - takes some practice - but it's a moot point - with snow tires it'll be fine, without it'll suck.

Originally posted by PerryJ:
I have read all the horror stories on this site about the IS300 in the snow. With the 2002 coming out with a manual tranny, does it make sense that snow driving will be much better?? I have never owned a manual, so I don't know. Any insights on this are greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Yeah I got the SNow tires in December and I was plowing thru snow drifts in my driveway. On the Stock 17's I couldnt move on 1 inch of Snow!

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should absolutely get the snow tires. The tires are not pretty (I have gotten teased on this forum!), but coupled with the snow mode and common sense you should have no problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts