Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of getting flamed big time, I thought I'd ask...

Does anyone else think that the other car on the road the Lexus IS300 most closely resembles is the Nissan Altima?

I'm not saying they look the same, just that they look similar. And, if you look closely, the IS300 is MUCH more attractive).

But....

If I don't count demos driving on and off dealer lots, I've yet to see an IS300 on the roads around DC.

The couple of times I've thought "is that an IS300?" I've always quickly realized, "nope, just another Altima"

Anyone else have similar impressions?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I don't think the IS300 looks like the Altima. It doesn't really look like any other car to me, except for the GS400 Lexus (especially from behind). It sort looks like the 2002 Infinity Q45 (but a prettier version...
Eric....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
To me it looks like a BMW 528 but the size of the old 3 series BMW.

The front grille, door handles, and tail lights say Mercedes though.

Of course there are similarities to the GS300.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The only car that made me think it was an IS was an older model Honda Accord with the IS tail light kit.

I can't think of another car sold in the US that really looks like it. I know some Euro cars have a similar look, but they aren't sold over here.

·
Registered
155 Posts
RacerX - Where in DC? You'll see my shiny yellow road hazzard every morning and evening sitting on the GW Parkway and the Toll Road.

I'd say it looks more like the new Jetta than the Altima. Side by side when I was trading it in it has very similar lines to [my] the Civic LX 4-Door.

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300
Solar Yellow Exterior
LSD, Black L/E
Moonroof, wheel locks, trunk mat

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't think the IS look like the Altima at all -- the Altima has way more curves. The IS looks like it is put together w/ the front of Accord and the rear of Jetta.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have to say the IS looks like the front of an Accord with the rear of the older Preludes (the body just before the current Preludes). My friend recently had his Prelude painted yellow and also installed them aftermarket tail lights that look almost identical to the IS300's tail lights.

From the rear I thought I was staring at an IS300. It was just missing the two extra little round brake lights.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Whatever similarities people wish to draw one thing is for sure: the only car that is a visual headturner mentioned in this string is the IS, with the possible exception of the (M)5 or 540.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The only IS300 I have seen in DC is a Black one that I saw on the pull-off on GW Parkway North Friday morning. Das it.

Haven't seen you yet, F8L.
But I don't drive the GW Parkway or Toll Road frequently, just the Beltway, so it might be a while.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I love the IS300.

But, ever since I saw the car for the 1st time on the front of all the magazines I sais "Isn't that just another Honda CIVIC".

Now, I try to forget this thought ever day becasue I love the car soo much.

I've been to the dealer three times, and taken 2 separate test drives.

I've seen 2 on the road in Dallas so far...a Spectra Blue Mica, and Solor "Look at me" Yellow (my favorite)

Did I say I love love this?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had this kind of comments for more than one time from people around me.

Every time when I was very exciting and introduce the new IS300 to my girlfriend, friend, co-workers, all of them said "Gee, it looks like the old Accord!"

I must admit, this time this car looks more Honda then Toyota.

But who cares, I still love it anyways.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Racer X,
I'm sorta with you..but to me, the front (only, just the 'FRONT') looks like 'SENTRA' and 'the like (includes Altima...etc.)... The side and the back are way better designed than other cars...but it kinda looks like 'JETTA' from the side...just 'KINDA'... the back is AWESOME and NO car can 'EVER COME CLOSE' to the rear-design.
Inside is like a space-ship...no doubt... Hope my comments won't start a war in here...

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think the front looks similar to the Acura RL (The Flag Ship)& Mazda Millinium (Sorta)
I think the sides has It's Own Personality..
With it's "Fat Flared-Out Front & Rear Fenders"... W/17" Wheels and Low Profile Tires...

The rear looks similar to the (GS300) and the
New Generation Accord...
Also was driving behind my wife the other
day and the car sorta had the(Benz-Commpressor) look from the rear.....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Actually, RacerX, I take it back. There was a brand new Altima parked next to me when I left work and you're right. The shapes, not the details, are very similar. The rearend, over all body, etc... I yield.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The front on view of the car does look like a Civic. From behind it looks like the GS series. Overall I like the appearance of the car but it doesn't look like it should cost 34K. IMHO the BMW 3 series is a nicer looking car, but I'm sure the Lexus will prove to be more reliable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
TEG,

Nice comparison pics. You can definitely see lots of similarities. The only part of the IS I *might* change would be the front, but I don't know what I'd make it look like.

I still love the car. I seriously wasn't expecting this much attention though. People stop me and honk all the darn time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
19 Participants
smra
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing