Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the IS has been around now for a few years, I think it would be a good time to have some of the guys who've had them for a while to give the newbies like me some lessons learned.

i.e. What would you do differently if you just got a new one?

·
8,880 Posts
Opt for manual tranny now that it is available. :lol: - See my sig.

Never drive on snow on summer tires, even if you just switched over from the winter set.

Keep rear wheels in better shape than the front ones during winter.

Upshift while countersteering when the rear-end looses control while locked in lower gear (e-shift)

Park even further away from people.
[edit]
On highest ground (use gravity against rogue shopping carts). :wink:

Dedicated winter/summer tire sets are best for performance. Watch out for all-season tires.

Armor-All products can damage your car. Brake dust wheel cleaner disolved paint on the 2001 IS's calipers.

Addition of pictures.
I never posted these before.
Improper E-Shifting/Worn rear tires.
Summer tires in snow (Extremely important for those thinking it is possible to drive on non M/S tires in snow)

·
11,061 Posts
Yah...park far away...very far away...

When buying new IS300: Insist you get the cargo net for the trunk for FREE. I was stupid and didn't ask for it.

If you get a dark color, be prepared to wash, wash. wash. I didn't do this, but one should NEVER take the car to an automated car wash unless you like lots of nasty swirls in the paint.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Even though I just got mine, I'll put in my two cents.
....Get a set of new floor mats when you working out the "deal" at the dealership. Mine got trashed pretty damn fast. Plus it always helps to keep that "clean look" inside, espically when you at shows or picking up a date!!! :lol:

·
11,061 Posts
13s_is300 said:
make sure that they trough in a free bottle of touch up paint. and don't amour-all the treaads on your tires.

:lol: FYI: The Armor-All is a running joke here.

Touch up paint is good too...

·
Registered
680 Posts
don't buy PermaPlate. IMO, it's a rip off. Of course, my step-father is a detailer and uses Maguires, Mother's and P&S.

extended warranty?! Come on...it's a Toyota, not a SAAB!!

If you get the Dunlop SP9000, be prepared to replace them sooner than you think! And get 225/45R17 tires instead of 215/45R17...that's my suggestion.

I was told that the manual is no faster than the e-shift. :-?

Tight back seat, be prepared to move the front seats forward for added room during those discreet encounters behind the local bar, club, etc.

OUCH!!! Damn sun reflection from the shift ball if your not carefull!!! Oh yeah, that ball gets HOT when exposed to the sun :pissed:

When doing a burn-out in an E-Shift...make SURE you turn the TRAC CTRL off :wink: :crazy:

Lift-throttle oversteer is fun!!

Be prepared to answer the following questions:
"Where did you buy your tail lamps?"
"Where did you buy your HID kit?"
"Why didn't you buy a BMW 3-series?"
"Is there a Toyota version of your car here in the States?"

If you stick your arm through the window while the window is down, roll it back up!! Don't worry, it won't smash your arm. For added bonus, do it with your head to freak out other drivers while stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All good stuff so far.

As far as maintenance goes...We have negative comments about Armor All, automatic car washes, tire rotation, dumbasses with shopping carts. Anything else? Clear Bras, Fluid changes, etc...

Also, are there any cheap interior or exterior parts that can't take alot of abuse to be careful of.

I think a discussion like this is going to be really helpful to newbies like me who just took the plunge.

·
Registered
165 Posts
YodaIsGod said:
If you stick your arm through the window while the window is down, roll it back up!! Don't worry, it won't smash your arm. For added bonus, do it with your head to freak out other drivers while stuck in traffic.
:lol: I will have to try this! Ya learn somethin' new every day. :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
vlad_a said:
Opt for manual tranny now that it is available. :lol: - See my sig.

Never drive on snow on summer tires, even if you just switched over from the winter set.

Park even further away from people.
[edit]
On highest ground (use gravity against rogue shopping carts). :wink:

Dedicated winter/summer tire sets are best for performance. Watch out for all-season tires.
I would like to add - avoid large rolling garbage bins! Mine was hit by one two weeks after I got it. :pissed: Apparantly the large metal garbage bin rolled 50 feet into my car after being blown by the wind....

As for driving in snow, I've done it before on the stock dunlop SP9000's, but it is not recommended. If you do, stay in second gear and try not to come to a complete stop :crazy:

Also don't be surprised by people checking out your car when parked. Don't automatically assume that they're about to jack something, but on the other hand, our car does seem prone to being vandalized by jealous a-holes.

Finally, get the JDM leather shift knob - best accessory I ever got....

·
Registered
590 Posts
Lessons learned
-As stated before, don't put bare skin on the shift knob when your car has been parked in the sun. Haggle for the leather cover.
-Get 3M's clear protective cover put on your hood to save you from rock chips
-Drain original tranny fluid after a 5K break-in and convert to synthetic oil for better cold shifting and smoother shifting in general
-Take the slack out of your throttle cable for better engine response (yes, despite what the Lex ads say about drive-by-wire, there's a cable)
-Wheel to fender gap will start to become irritating to you when you look at BMWs and Porches really tight gaps along with modded IS's on this site
-225 tires will fit up front and 245's will clear in rear.
-Black interior looks great, but gets really hot in summer.
-The longer you own an absolutely red IS, the more come to love the color.
-If you can afford it, get the nav system.
-I wish I had gotten the cargo net for the trunk. It's easy to make stuff fly around in the trunk with the way an IS handles.
-If you haggle, you can buy an new IS for $26K to $28K.
-Learn to search this website before asking questions.
-You will get flamed here occasionally, but who cares, everyone gets flamed here.
Minor, minor stuff really. The car is great and so is the website.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Oops, I meant haggle for the leather knob. As far as I know, there is no leater cover. A nice leather cover for the chrome knob would be a useful accessory.

·
Registered
941 Posts
my lessons learned

1. Crystal is hard to keep clean. Get a dark but not so dark color like ggp, i've seen pics CW's with bodykits and I don't know what it is but somehow the color doesn't go well with bodykits...
2. Modding this car is expensive
3. Get the nav, I wish I did!
4. This car's whell/fender gap is huge! lower quick... it looks like a 4x4
5. the stock antenna is ghey. jdm looks much better.
6. If possible get an extra set of floor mats or just an extra driver floor mat if it's your daily driver. Black floormats get dirty quick...
7. if you got leather, when you enter your car don't slide in and bend the left side of the seat. if you do you will start to crack your leather on the left side. when you enter the car hold on to the steering wheel as much as possible and thump down on the seat, it works :D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ok, here's my take after a year:

1.Get Xpel clear front protection for your hood,bumper,headlights and foglights . :D ..it's barely noticeable, easy care and has saved me many times from big nasty bugs and even bumper-banging idiots who can't parallel park!! :pissed: :roll:

2. Park far away and/or right up against curbs or poles on end spaces to help prevent door dings. Tilt your mirrors down so you don't curb your wheels.

3. The Ivory ecsaine/leather combo on the IBP looks great and stays pretty cool in the heat but takes some care to keep clean. Forget about trying to keep the Ivory mats clean ...you won't. Just get a set of black mats ...they look fine with all of the black interior components and are MUCH easier to keep clean!

4. Be sure to keep your leather clean and conditioned regularly with Lexol.

5. Change your oil every 3k miles.

6. Get stiffer sway bars than the stock ones if you like taking curves fast. :D

7.If you travel a lot for work or pleasure , get the NAV system . Then, be sure to put in the bypass switch.

8. Wire the 2nd (hidden) 12V outlet to a terminal that is always on (to charge your phone without the key in). :wink:

9. Get the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) if you don't already have it with a Manual tranny.

10.I highly recommend driving most times with a same-colored towel on your seat. I live in So.CA and wear shorts 98% of the year ...it's better not to sweat on the seats, even with scotchgard, etc. Plus, you can eat donuts in the car! :p :p

11.Go easy on the CD-changer buttons....i.e., give it time to change.... as some people have had problems with theirs.

12.Use distilled water for your final rinse, a can of air or air hose to blow out the mirrors, door handles, marker lights and trunk seal and then use Zaino Z-6 or some other after-wash gloss to rid of water spots.

13. Armor All is for Boneheads.

14.Don't let any fools tell you the E-shift buttons are useless or a gimmick. :roll: They make all the difference in the world on a canyon road for an automatic tranny! :D

15. If you get the factory NAV, put the dialogue on "FR" .
Sexy Lexy is even sexier speaking French! :p :p :D

16. If you've only had a front-wheel-driver before , learn the joys of a rear-wheel drive sport sedan on twisty roads by applying throttle in the turns. 8)

17. Be sure not to let your friends place/remove their own luggage/items in the trunk....you do it. It's very easy to scratch the top of the rear bumper! :eek: :roll:

18. Chicks dig the chrome shifter ball. :wink:

19. Microfiber cloths for ,body,windows and interior are your friends!

20. Don't put more than 2 bodies in the trunk with the Tein springs ...the low ride will be too suspicious! :lol:

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Vman said:
Ok, here's my take after a year:

1.Get Xpel clear front protection for your hood,bumper,headlights and foglights . :D ..it's barely noticeable, easy care and has saved me many times from big nasty bugs and even bumper-banging idiots who can't parallel park!! :pissed: :roll:

2. Park far away and/or right up against curbs or poles on end spaces to help prevent door dings. Tilt your mirrors down so you don't curb your wheels.

3. The Ivory ecsaine/leather combo on the IBP looks great and stays pretty cool in the heat but takes some care to keep clean. Forget about trying to keep the Ivory mats clean ...you won't. Just get a set of black mats ...they look fine with all of the black interior components and are MUCH easier to keep clean!

4. Be sure to keep your leather clean and conditioned regularly with Lexol.

5. Change your oil every 3k miles.

6. Get stiffer sway bars than the stock ones if you like taking curves fast. :D

7.If you travel a lot for work or pleasure , get the NAV system . Then, be sure to put in the bypass switch.

8. Wire the 2nd (hidden) 12V outlet to a terminal that is always on (to charge your phone without the key in). :wink:

9. Get the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) if you don't already have it with a Manual tranny.

10.I highly recommend driving most times with a same-colored towel on your seat. I live in So.CA and wear shorts 98% of the year ...it's better not to sweat on the seats, even with scotchgard, etc. Plus, you can eat donuts in the car! :p :p

11.Go easy on the CD-changer buttons....i.e., give it time to change.... as some people have had problems with theirs.

12.Use distilled water for your final rinse, a can of air or air hose to blow out the mirrors, door handles, marker lights and trunk seal and then use Zaino Z-6 or some other after-wash gloss to rid of water spots.

13. Armor All is for Boneheads.

14.Don't let any fools tell you the E-shift buttons are useless or a gimmick. :roll: They make all the difference in the world on a canyon road for an automatic tranny! :D

15. If you get the factory NAV, put the dialogue on "FR" .
Sexy Lexy is even sexier speaking French! :p :p :D

16. If you've only had a front-wheel-driver before , learn the joys of a rear-wheel drive sport sedan on twisty roads by applying throttle in the turns. 8)

17. Be sure not to let your friends place/remove their own luggage/items in the trunk....you do it. It's very easy to scratch the top of the rear bumper! :eek: :roll:

18. Chicks dig the chrome shifter ball. :wink:

19. Microfiber cloths for ,body,windows and interior are your friends!

20. Don't put more than 2 bodies in the trunk with the Tein springs ...the low ride will be too suspicious! :lol:
Questions:
1. Where do you get Xpel.
7. What's the bypass switch for?
12. Distilled water????? Are you serious? Whats wrong with Evian? :lol:
13. What's the deal with ArmorAll? :crazy:
And finally where can I get the leather? cover for the chrome ball shifter?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Don't get an aftermarket exhaust unless your prepared to constantly race other people. I couldn't even just drive fast with mine without people thinking I wanted to race.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
jcatral14 said:
Questions:
1. Where do you get Xpel.
7. What's the bypass switch for?
12. Distilled water????? Are you serious? Whats wrong with Evian? :lol:
13. What's the deal with ArmorAll? :crazy:
And finally where can I get the leather? cover for the chrome ball shifter?
1. http://www.xpel.com - you can find locations for installers etc.
12. Distilled water is better for cleaning than regular water - but I doubt you have access to a lot of distilled water just for washing your car.
13. It's a running joke on a kid that put ArmorAll on the thread of his tires and then went out to drive in the rain. Promptly crashing.

You can buy it online - it's not a cover - it's a replacement. I prefer the ball but racing/hot days the leather knob seems like a good idea

·
8,880 Posts
Check out .NET store for the JDM Altezza shift knob.

BTW, whoever said Manual IS was not faster than the Auto is mistaken.

Also, scrap the suggestion of driving on summer tires in snow. If you must drive on non M/S rated tires in snow, make sure your insurance is paid up and you don't have high deductible because eventually you will have to stop one way or another.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts