Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from what could have been a HUGE ugly accident. It reminded me of how well the IS300 can handle.

I was driving on the 407 doing just over 130 km/h (everybody was driving this speed). As we were approaching Bayview... this fucker in a huge GMC pick up in the lane beside me... I guess realized he was about to miss his exit. So he jerks the pickup to the right in an attempt to make the exit. He turned so fucking hard it looked like he was about to roll over.

I... being shocked to see a large-assed pick up truck 2 inches away from my car had to dart off to the right. I could hear one of my wheels sliding due to all the salt and crap on the road. However I was easily able to keep control on the exiting lane and come back on the highway ahead of the pick-up.

If I was driving some Yaris or something... that whole incident could have ended a lot uglier. With either me and the pick-up colliding at 135 km/h... or me sliding off the highway at over 100km/h. :shocked:

This isn't the first time I've used the car's maneuverability to get out of an accident. Sometimes it makes me really thankful to have this car. Even when IS300's end up in accidents... the driver and passengers tend to be in good shape.

For those who follow F1... the whole incident was like when Alonso shoved Hamilton off track in Belgium last season. This isn't the best video... but if you saw the race you know what I'm talking about.

Formula one : 2007 Belgium GP Start

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The pick-up was something like this...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Good Reflex's Crester! that is a big Friggin truck!

our cars are juss great!

i remember reading something and it said our cars were ranked a really good on the saftey chart?

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
crester, used car dealers should hire you to pitch & sell any IS300's they have.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
crester, used car dealers should hire you to pitch & sell any IS300's they have.
Yeah really, i can't imagine the next car he buys. A honda civic owner praising the gas mileage and vtech.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hey man... I've just learned to appreciate my car! :) Plus I'm happy I didn't collide with that pickup at highway speeds.

With some of the other cars I've driven in the past... I know I would not have been able to move like that so easily.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Thank goodness your now lowered and reduced over/ under steer during your manouver, it may have been uglier even in a stock IS300..... oh yeah and your cat like reflexes!

Glad it worked out ok.

Digger08

·
Registered
568 Posts
LOL...Glad to hear u made it out alive....:p

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
LOL, you are funny Crester

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I agree! Who's to say it wasn't your ultra-fast-lightening-quick reaction time that saved you?

You should put that Hamilton-like prowess to the test at the track.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Lewis Hamilton ain't got nothing on me... lol If I have McLaren backing me from when I was 5 years old... I'd be a 6 time world champion by now! :p

Yes my reflexes had something to do with it... but you need a car that can translate your inputs into action!

Sadly I've decided against tracking my car. I don't want to put it under any extra stresses. My friend has a Subaru Impreza with a JDM engine swap... and he told me himself that it's only after he started tracking his car that things started wearing and going wrong his car.

I was talking to a guy from my go-karting league who also does advanced driver training and he gave me similar warnings.

That being said tho... Mr. Lexusecutive... I'd gladly drive YOUR car around the track. :p <Actually... I'm being serious!!!>

I've learned how to be gentle on cars. I had heartbreak happen to me before... so I learned my lesson. I remember participating in a 1.5 hour SOLO enduro at Formula Kartways... it was a lot of fun. Anyways... I went thru 1.5 hours... and then on the 2nd last fucking corner... my car died on me. I got a flat rear tire with a few laps remaining. Still I kept fighting the guy behind me just waiting for the checkered flag to come out.

The guy behind me was really good to. He tried to fool me and almost did... he purposely slowed down his pace during the middle of the race to try and make me think that's as fast as he could go. But then as the race was going towards the end he "magically" picked up the pace.

Anyways I was fighting him and fighting him... but because I was driving with essentially 3 wheels... Gilles Villeneuve style... he kept getting closer and closer every corner (I couldn't turn properly). Then all of a sudden I hear the engine revving freely... and even tho I'm revving the engine I'm not going any faster. My car ground to a halt with only one corner remaining.

I just sat in the car in utter dis-belief as he drove by me... and then the rest of the field proceeded to blow by me as I sat there parked in the middle of the track hoping nobody would plow into me.

After the race was over I still just sat there in the car... shocked that I drove for that long to have the race slip away from me at the end of the last lap. People watching said that during the last laps they could see sparks coming out from under my car. Apparently the drive gear was hitting the ground because of the flat tire... and eventually the drive belt just got pulled off... essentially disconnecting the engine from the drive wheels.

Oh well... anyways... after that... I'm always keeping conscious of the car's condition while driving. In that enduro I was turning so aggressively that I was always putting extreme loads on that one wheel. Eventually it just gave out on me. :(

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol... am I? :lol:

Oddly enough... I wasn't laughing when that shit happened. All that kept going thru my mind was... "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!!!! STUPID MOTHER FUCKING IDIOT!!!! WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!" :burningup

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I'd let you drive my car the same way McLaren picks its talent..... ie only drivers w/ experience please.

Driving your car hard isn't cheap. But then again, these so-called "stresses" you keep talking about are un-founded claims. But to each his own.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank goodness your now lowered and reduced over/ under steer during your manouver, it may have been uglier even in a stock IS300..... oh yeah and your cat like reflexes!

Glad it worked out ok.

Digger08
All jokes aside... the suspension mods really did improve the handling of my car noticeably. But even in stock form the IS300 is a good handling car. (I know there's better handling cars out there... but the IS300 is still good for a sedan)

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd let you drive my car the same way McLaren picks its talent..... ie only drivers w/ experience please.

Driving your car hard isn't cheap. But then again, these so-called "stresses" you keep talking about are un-founded claims. But to each his own.
btw... check out the story I added to the post you are replying to. :)

Hamilton got placed in the MP4-22 as a "newb"!

I just know that I can't be in a competitive environment and drive my car like a Granny. So I'm going to be turning, accelerating, braking, shifting harder and faster than I ever would on a street. All of this puts more wear and tear on the vehicle right?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Glad you did not wreck, but I will be the counter-balance to your feelings on Lexus cars.

I have had my 2IS for 1.75 years now, and I think the damn thing is annoying.

I mean, my dash cluster at the moment looks like a freaking Christmas Tree lit up ready for the big man's arrival... My two infractions that causes this mess on my display? I have low washer fluid and no TPMS sensors for my winter tires. I mean come on Lexus, let me see what gear I am in(in my lcd readout) instead of repeatedly showing me that I have low washer fluid, and then beeping, and then cycling back to my low tire pressure warning. My goodness... What a driver's car... Disabling the traction control is another joy, brings back memories of me playing nintendo as a kid. At least they fixed that for newer owners.

It does handle well though, yes, I will agree with you there.

Also if anyone knows how I can disable or hide some of these crap warnings I am all ears.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I agree god dag 2nd gen clusters.

·
Registered
109 Posts
nice to hear to managed to dodge with the quickness. did the traction control kick in at all? sometimes that slows me down from quick acceleration when I wish I had it. Just so much power. haha.

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts
Lucky Crester!! Sounds like you had a quick reaction and didn't panic, that is the most important thing! Glad to hear you are safe tho! :approve:
Damn I just read that story book post about your racing experience. Damn!! I would be fuckin pissed if that shit happened to me so close to the end of the race ...... It's kinda funny tho.. Isn't it ...in a twisted sort of way?!...:lol:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
good race story can't wait too race you again @ formula cartways:p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts