Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am really serious about buying a IS300 and my only worry is the winter season. I live in the Minnesota & Wisconsin area and the snow can get pretty hectic sometimes.

For you experienced drivers in the winter season, If I may ask how does Winter tires work for the IS300? I don't mind spending money on tires as long as I can drive safely in the winter. What are your thoughts?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have 17" Toyo Proxes 4 so i can only speak on those. I live in Philly and can take on 4-8 inches of snow. If i have to go uphill and i dont have enough momentum, the rear tires spin. The is300 is too light in the back vs. the front and can't get any grip at times on snow. Other than that the tires are great. Check out these tires if you got the $$$ Vredestein

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
The IS is a very well balanced car. Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires on 16 inch rims plus a few sacks of something in the trunk to add 150-200 lbs and she will be fine. Just don't expect it to be as good as an AWD Subaru and if you lower the car note that low clearance will limit your snow going capabilities.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Been Running my 2001 IS300 on General Tire Altimax Arctic tires with 17" Steel wheels. Works great in winter. I defiantly feel safe in winter with this car. As long as you can control your rev's and use the snow button when possible. I haven't gotten stuck ever, even in 5-6 inches of snow.

The back end comes loose and you have to slow down when ur turning, espically when its just a little bit of snow (0-2inches) cause its slipery and the light rear may swing. Again, after a few drives, you can get a hang of how to control it without slipping and you eventually find the sweet spot where it begins to slide.

BTW its fun as hell in the winter :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan here in Canada. So I have probably as severe as a winter as anyone on this forum experiences.

I say that it's fine to drive in the winter. But you will DEFINITELY need winter tires. Snow button isn't necessary unless you wanna be extra safe. Drove my IS without winter tires for the beginning of winter because I was lazy to put them on, and guess what: An accident.

Don't let RWD stop you from getting this car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm in Arkansas, but did just have to drive my 300 in the snow/ice a few weeks ago and w/o proper winter tires it will suck royally. I was sliding all over the place, losing traction constantly and it was not a pleasant experience. The right tires and sane driving make all the difference IMHO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ive made it through 3 winters on just all season (falken ziex 512). No problem at all. Only once have I not been able to drive in the snow with it, which was when we got 3 feet of snow on xmas this year. Then again not much would go during that storm.

·
Registered
188 Posts
living in alberta, canada. our winters can get pretty bad, with snowfalls up to 5inches over night so snow tires are a must up here. im running hankook winter i-pikes on stock wheels and have no complaints

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I live in Province of Quebec, Canada and the IS drives extremely good with good winter tires. Absolutely no worries...
As with any other car, you need winter tires if you get freezing temperatures..

·
Registered
185 Posts
I feel I have more control and safer in my IS300 with Blizzak LM60's than I do in my mothers 4WD Pathfinder. I never thought winter tires were really needed, but they make a world of difference, from here on out I will always have winter tires for my cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yea if you got the extra cash for winter tires..get em..i live in ohio and since i dont have extra $$ laying around i stick with my all seasons...really its only 4 months out of the year i gotta deal with snow...but like the first response post, i have toyo proxies 4's and they are AMAZING. my other is has continentals..they were ok, but these tires are awesome...i recommend you get them..youll love them no doubt

·
Registered
132 Posts
i think it has a lot to do with what tires you have. i have shitty bald tires, and i was sliding everywhere when there was less than an inch of snow on the ground. it would fish tail if i went over 10mph. needless to say, my car is officially down for the winter. i will buy some winter tires for next year. i've learned my lesson.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i think it has a lot to do with what tires you have. i have shitty bald tires, and i was sliding everywhere when there was less than an inch of snow on the ground. it would fish tail if i went over 10mph. needless to say, my car is officially down for the winter. i will buy some winter tires for next year. i've learned my lesson.
Winter tires are GOLD!!! Not that it matters much but I have KDWs for the summer with plenty of tread left, and they do jack in the winter, hard as a ROCK, the winter tires are so pliable and given the winter temps with the Blizzak LM60s they feel just as grippy as the KDWs (given the sub-freezing temps). Mind you the LM60s are more performance oriented than the WS60s.

BTW its not too late perhaps you can get a good deal now than next fall/early winter..

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've had my Sportcross out in the snow and it has 17" wheels with high performance summer tires. It's a little skiddish but I can still get around just fine. I live in northern OH and we've had our share of snow this year.

Just turn your brain on when you get behind the wheel (something more people need to do anyway).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.