Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in New England and there is a certain chance that I will have to drive in the snow a few times a year. Anyone out there have experience with the IS in winter weather?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by merlin3008:
I live in New England and there is a certain chance that I will have to drive in the snow a few times a year. Anyone out there have experience with the IS in winter weather?
If you drive the IS with the stock tires you will CRASH. I am not joking, it is suicide.

Do a search and find out for yourself

------------------
Later

MIKE
ONYX 01, Fully loaded, Graphite Polished, Factory Spoiler, SRT Intake, Medium Reflective Tint

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
No problem with winter tires... You can get all season tires with 16" rims or summer tires with 17" rims for 2001 IS.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you buy all-season tires for the 17 inch stock rims?

QUOTE]Originally posted by PMD911:
No problem with winter tires... You can get all season tires with 16" rims or summer tires with 17" rims for 2001 IS.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4 Posts
as long as you drive RWD you'll always have problems in snow unless you have snow tires.

------------------
'95 Crown Vic
Police Package Interceptor

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Unfortunately no. That's why you need to get separate winter tires with 17". Alot of people bought 16" rims and 16" winter tires on their own at discount tire center etc so they won't ruin the stock 17" rims. But I just kept my 17" stock rims and got 17" winter tires.

16" stock rims don't look that good by the way. Or you can get stock 16" with all season tires and get nicer rims on your own later. But I would just get 17's and get 17 winter tires to save money.

[This message has been edited by PMD911 (edited February 23, 2001).]

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by PMD911:
Unfortunately no. That's why you need to get separate winter tires with 17". Alot of people bought 16" rims and 16" winter tires on their own at discount tire center etc so they won't ruin the stock 17" rims. But I just kept my 17" stock rims and got 17" winter tires.

16" stock rims don't look that good by the way. Or you can get stock 16" with all season tires and get nicer rims on your own later. But I would just get 17's and get 17 winter tires to save money.

[This message has been edited by PMD911 (edited February 23, 2001).]
Are you saying this after seeing my lame 16"-ers
?
I have the 16" and they DO look pretty lame. My guess was that I'd stick w/ the 16" because I do a fair amount of driving in Vermont in the winter... It's going to end up being more expensive because I'm unhappy with the look of the 16's and want to get 17" now too.

------------------
~soybomb~

·
Registered
20,481 Posts
Originally posted by s0yb0mb:
Are you saying this after seeing my lame 16"-ers
?
I have the 16" and they DO look pretty lame. My guess was that I'd stick w/ the 16" because I do a fair amount of driving in Vermont in the winter... It's going to end up being more expensive because I'm unhappy with the look of the 16's and want to get 17" now too.

This is ironic because I checked out your rims while passing by your car this morning. Noticed the 16". Did you have fun digging out? My rims keep sticking out of my winter tires for some reason. Anyone know why? Correct fit and everything...

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by PMD911:
This is ironic because I checked out your rims while passing by your car this morning. Noticed the 16". Did you have fun digging out? My rims keep sticking out of my winter tires for some reason. Anyone know why? Correct fit and everything...

The "big-dig" (patent pending) is tomorrow morning b4 rugby practice. Which is kinda good, because I'd rather puke out my hangover while shovleing (I don't even have a shovel) than when running in the snow.

No idea about the snow tires man...

------------------
~soybomb~

·
Registered
636 Posts
For this winter I purchased Potenza RE910's 17". These are All-Season tires. Not too bad in the snow. Much, much better than the stock summer tires. Then when the snow clears up a little, these tires drive really well on dry pavement. Summer tires are still better performers, though.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by csdstudio:
For this winter I purchased Potenza RE910's 17". These are All-Season tires. Not too bad in the snow. Much, much better than the stock summer tires. Then when the snow clears up a little, these tires drive really well on dry pavement. Summer tires are still better performers, though.
I'm surprised that you are using all seasons in MN??? In my area, yeah, in your area that seems crazy. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
This issue has been addressed quite a bit in the past... I've got 17-inch Dunlop M3 snow tires on the stock 17" wheels. They totally rock!!

Scott.

------------------
...yet another proud owner of a fully loaded Graphite Gray Pearl '01 IS300

·
Registered
653 Posts
You definetly need the snow tires. Since I bought them, the car has handled great in the snow. I have the Bridgestone Blizzaks LM-22's and mounted them on my stock 17inch rims.

------------------

2001 Lexus IS300
Black Onyx/Fully Equipped
Dont start none and there wont be none!

·
Registered
78 Posts
16's rims with snow tires is the best combination because the side wall of 17s is far too narrow than the P205 60 R 16( have a taller side wall )
and during winter time there are lot of potholes out there u should feel sorry for your nice looking 17' rims( it bent easily) if ur 1 year old IS300 ever sink inside one of those nasty big potholes

·
Registered
21 Posts
one word to solve this problem

QUATTRO

*flame suit zipped up and ready*...
just kidding guys, but when i used to drive my friends RWD bmw in the snow (with snow tires) it was bad...fwd with wet/dry tires were better than the rwd with snow tires. granted...not all cars are alike...so mabbe the IS is better in snow than the other rwd cars i've driven....

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
You should be ok if you drive "VERY" carefully. I went through the whole winter w/ out snow tires. I suggest you get snow tires if you can though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
my IS is a piece of crap in the snow. the front tires lock up and she gets a little hard to steer. don't try to go through any thing more that 2 inches of snow either. It's pretty embarresing having you coworkers puch you out of the parkinglot after work. i bought another car cheaper than the snowtires would have been. my suggestion, get another car for winter.

ps "for sale come spring: 1990 tempo. runs. beautiful white with rust accents. make offer."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
19 Participants
vlad_a
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing